• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

who are bowser jrs best and worst matchups

Sonnet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kuch11
:4bowserjr:s game Involves zoning with projectiles
If, by projectiles, you're talking about his neutral B, this is probably a great time to inform you that a decent Bowser Jr will almost never throw that out in neutral.

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
I'd also like to add that Jr can use Side B to drive right on through any reflected Mechas if we read the Cape attempt and Jr's not close enough to drive into the Cape itself while its hitbox is out.

If we're going to throw out any version of Neutral B during neutral, it'd most likely be Neutral 3, Air Cannon, due to the reduction in endlag that it got from the 1.1.1 patch, and if that gets reflected, we'll merely get blown back without incurring any percent damage, though we might lose our desired positioning on the stage. Sadly, the only place nowadays where that kind of intel would be reliably useful is in Tourney Mode in any room that allows for Customs. Thankfully, those rooms in the Regular Tourney area DO fill up from time to time, and that's including the 1v1 Custom Specials rooms that forcefully disables any Equipment on any deck.

Last edited:

FlabbyOrb

Smash Cadet
NNID
amacadaeg
I main mario and play jr as a casual
:4mario:60:40:4bowserjr:.
:4bowserjr:s game Involves zoning with projectiles and approachung with side b :4mario:counters both. He has cape to stop his zoning and fireballs to stop his approaches. He can combo jr hard with up tilt and his quick aerials. He has better mobility and frame data.Jr's recovery leaves himself wide open to getting caped, fludded, and dunked. That's my opinion.
the cape doesnt reflect bowser jr's down b sometimes, but instead detonates the mechakoopa instead and mario just blows up. bowser jr's recovery doesnt leave him "wide open". Bowser jr can easily jump cancel his side b and airdodge. I play against a mario, often, that likes to try to do all those things but he's always unsuccessful.

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Yeah, I suppose we have different mindsets for how 40:60 is interpreted. For me, 40:60 is bad, but not terribly far from even. "Drastic" for me would be 30:70, 20:80, etc etc.
30:70 is verging on unwinnable, like sheik vs ganon. I wouldn't call anything in this game 20:80.

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
I agree with most of the above

Worst: :4megaman::4link::4sheik:

(:4megaman:: Mega Man's projectile game - most notably his metal blade - can make it difficult for a Bowser Jr. player to approach him - especially since Koopa Kart isn't very immune to projectiles. Although a mecha-koopa may help with approaching, metal blade or practically any other projectile from Mega Man could safely destroy it. Luckily, Mega Man is a pretty easy character to combo with Bowser Jr. once you've made it past his baracede of blades, bombs, and mega buster shots.)

(:4link:: Same issues as above, Link has an excellent projectile game, which could make approaching him with Koopa Kart all more the difficult. I've noticed that aerials seem to work well against Link - especially as a spacing tool - but most good Link players are capable of escaping combos with n-air.)

(:4sheik:: It'd only make sense for "the best character in the game" to have an upper hand in this matchup; she sucks the life out of heavy characters, and Bowser Jr. aint no exception. Bowser Jr. isn't a very fast character and does not have the best approach due to mediocre dash attack and grab options. Shiek utilizes her needles to stop side-b, and her tremendous lack of frame data - and also considering that Bowser Jr.'s moves have a lot more frame data - makes it very easy for her to toss you around with f-airs and f-tilts, all while trying to escape these inescapable combos but fail to do so.)

Best::4ganondorf::4myfriends::4jigglypuff::4gaw:

(:4ganondorf::4myfriends:: Ganondorf and Ike are heavy characters which come with a good advantage for Bowser Jr. Reason being, Ganon and Ike are relitively slow characters, but most notably, both suffer in projectile play, which is something Bowser Jr. is good with. Since both of them lack projectiles, Koopa Kart should be a useful approach tool and combo starter against both match ups. Bowser Jr. has a better aerial game than Ike and Ganondorf, so use these to pull of combos.)

(:4jigglypuff::4gaw:: Although Jigglypuff and Game&Watch may gain an upper hand in very few Bowser Jr. match ups, both suffer a pretty contradictory flaw - weight. Jigglypuff and G&W are lightweight characters, and putting them against a character like Bowser Jr. can make for a tough matchup for the two. Although one could argue that Jiggly and G&W have good aerials, Bowser Jr.'s aerials are better; sure he may not have as good of an air mobility as them, but his aerials have larger hit boxes and are reliable kill moves, which helps compensate for worse air mobility. Overall, these two shouldn't be too much of an issue for a smart player; plus due to their weight, it shouldn't take much to knock them out.)

Last edited:

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
I disagree with like, 90% of that post lol.

Jiggs and gnw lose onstage to bjr, yes, but if you havent ever been brainlessly gimped by a puff offstage out of up b then you havent played enough puffs to comment on the situation. I think bjr has a slight advantage in the mu with puff (which funnily enough does actually make it one of his best mus since bjr doesnt really win vs many characters). GnW is probably even. Both characters have absolutely insane combos on each other, bjr having the advantage cuz he can live more of those combos. However, like puff but even moreso, gnw has probably the best gimp toolset in the entire game. Trying to recover vs a gnw that isn't dumb can feel impossible at times. Arguably a 50/50 mu.

Implying Bjr has substantially better aerials than Ike is incorrect as well, since his frame data is equally as bad as bjrs is but he has superior reach. Bjr wins on the ground but Ike wins in the air.

And Link is probably even. His projectile game is a nuisance but once you get in its an absolute nightmare for Link. Bjrs combos on him are stupid to the point of being borderline brainless, and panic nair can be punished pretty easily. This is on top of Bjrs' vastly superior offstage game as well. Link definitely has a lot going for him but its really not overly advantageous for him.

Last edited:

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
I disagree with like, 90% of that post lol.

Jiggs and gnw lose onstage to bjr, yes, but if you havent ever been brainlessly gimped by a puff offstage out of up b then you havent played enough puffs to comment on the situation. I think bjr has a slight advantage in the mu with puff (which funnily enough does actually make it one of his best mus since bjr doesnt really win vs many characters). GnW is probably even. Both characters have absolutely insane combos on each other, bjr having the advantage cuz he can live more of those combos. However, like puff but even moreso, gnw has probably the best gimp toolset in the entire game. Trying to recover vs a gnw that isn't dumb can feel impossible at times. Arguably a 50/50 mu.

Implying Bjr has substantially better aerials than Ike is incorrect as well, since his frame data is equally as bad as bjrs is but he has superior reach. Bjr wins on the ground but Ike wins in the air.

And Link is probably even. His projectile game is a nuisance but once you get in its an absolute nightmare for Link. Bjrs combos on him are stupid to the point of being borderline brainless, and panic nair can be punished pretty easily. This is on top of Bjrs' vastly superior offstage game as well. Link definitely has a lot going for him but its really not overly advantageous for him.
Thanks for your thoughts. Evidently, I don't know much about Bowser Jr. -probably because I've just begun picking him up. Concerning Ike's aerials, although one could say are better than Bowser Jr.'s, which I can see why someone would agree with that, shouldn't be too much of a problem to Bowser Jr. Take a look at his side-b: this move is capable of combing into any aerial, except b-air, depending on the percent. Bowser Jr. may have the upper hand with aerial combos if they were timed correctly, which is what I'm intailing. Yes, in an air battle, Ike may reign superior due to his reach, but if a Bowser Jr.'s aerials were to be used as combo moves or spacing tools, then there really shouldn't be much of a problem - you should also remember that Jr.'s aerials have good reach, too. They may not reach as far as Ike's, but both seem even under circumstances. Ike could have an upper hand in a Bowser Jr. matchup, but if a Jr. player were to use his projectile game to the fullest (mecha-koopas and/or cannonballs) then Ike will suffer, because I'm sure even you could agree that Ike does terrible in projectile matchups.

Link can be combo'd easily, sure, but from my personal experience, most great Link players have been capable of escaping a streak of combos with n-air or even a d-air. Getting through a baracede of arrows, bombs, and boomerangs can be difficult because, as you said, Link's projectile game can be a nuisance. Because of these issues, I've found it harder to combo and approach Link under these circumstances. But if you find Link to be easier than I think, then perhaps you're more skilled at Jr. than I am, since I've only begun picking him up.

I can see why you would disagree with Jiggly and G&W being easy matchups to Jr. Even I was wondering if placing them as Jr.'s easy matchups was accurate. You are right, Jiggly and G&W can have a good time comboing Jr. and no, I suppose I haven't gone against many Jiggly players to confirm this. From the instances I have been in these matchups, however, I can say that their weight really played a big factor in KOing them early. Truth be told, Jr. ain't a great character. Vs many different characters, Jr. usually struggles, so finding easy matchups for Jr. was a little hard to think of, to be honest.

I truly appreciate your response, perhaps I should work on Jr. a little more so that I may tone my play style. In fact, I've learned a thing or two from you!

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
From my experiences alone - I'm no pro so this could be totally irrelevant, but what the heck:

- My worst matchups with Koops are: :4megaman:, :4mewtwo:and :4jigglypuff:
- :4villager:and:4sheik:are easier than people let them on to be IMO (Not taking into account Shiek being generally really good anyway.).

- -and the best ones are generally larger characters that are easier to combo or characters with poor recoveries.

People have covered the :4megaman:MU quite a bit already in this thread, so I don't really feel so bad getting lemon'd to death by him as much anymore, but I'm not sure why I lose the Mewtwo or Jiggly one so much.
:4jigglypuff: should be relatively easy due to how easy to kill she is (What with Koops' biggest weakness being some minor KO issues IMO.), but I always find hitting her difficult since she basically just floats over half the stuff you do, and a cautious Jiggly player will definitely capitalize on the fact that it's actually a lot easier for their character to escape some of your strings and setups than with other characters. -that and the lingering hitboxes can really do a number on your kart approaches.
:4mewtwo:is a weird one, too. I think it's mostly down to me not knowing the MU, but I dunno, I just always seem to struggle with it. Shadow Ball is a surprisingly good tool, and his larger attack hit boxes seem to screw me over somehow, especially that damned jab set-up of his (I genuinely have less trouble against Palu's jab setup, go figure.). I think this one is just a case of higher priority moves(? Don't quote me on that.) and counter-tools. But again, I'm a total casual so [smash] what I say. lololol

As for :4villager:there's just too much I can think of where you can just bait in this MU, and your close range game is significantly better than Villager's IMO. It's 50:50 for me at worst, I find, even against a good villager. -and anyone who brings up pocketing mechakoopas as if it's the end of the world shall be shot! :lick:
-and as for :4sheik:, sure the MU is kinda hard, but it's relatively hard for everyone. It doesn't mean it's the worst in the world for Koops. You can usually resist a good gimping by just taking a beating offstage so she doesn't take your recovery options, and recovering late, and Shiek's weaker kills (In my experience.) mean Koops' defenses generally aid them well in the later stages. Your airs can also wall her quite well since they linger, and 3 of them lag cancel from short hop. Sure your setups are hurt by her speed, but at absolute worst this is a :4sheik:65:35:4roy:(Because it's definately not easy enough for her to win 70%, but not particularly pleasant for you either. -and yes I used Roy's face, deal with it.) MU to her in my eyes. Feel free to just prove me wrong on that one though, since I'm a dirty casual and Shiek is boss, apparently.

Well, that's my input on it. -it's probably bad input, but there it is.

Top Bottom