• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who, and when to Up/Down throw?

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
I know some characters can be chain thrown by Mario (Spacies, Sheik) but when's a good percent range to attempt to follow up on other characters? (Fire Emblem, Earthbound, Pokémon, etc) And what throws work into guaranteed follow ups on them?

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
I've learned that up throw works at around 20 - 30% and d throw works best from 30%+

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
U may do it a lil later for fast fallers and u throw combos may end earlier for light weight floaties, but it's pretty much universal

:150:

AssTAStic_ACA

Smash Apprentice
since combos are never really the same, im going to speak from personal experience. So everything im going to say might not always work.

lets say its C.Falcon...some times i like to up throw instead of down throw at mid percents, so i can get in a quick F-air. Sometimes its good to throw in a up throw even if it didnt lead to a re grab or w.e. It can throw of you opponents DI into something dumb like a F-air.

Something similar also works on ike. Even though their is no true chain grab on the guy, sometimes at mid percents i throw in a up throw > Fair.

I also do something similar against link.

Throwing in Up throw, on a character that is traditionally CG'd by down throw, can be quiet helpful. Your opponent will be conditioned to DI the down throw a certain way. That same DI they used on the down throw may not be good for an up throw. Lucas is a big example of this. up throwing him at around 60 percent can lead to a dumb F-air. naturally the same with link.

On characters like C.falcon, sometimes i mix in some down throws during his eariler percents. This is because C.falcon is usually CG by up throw, especially at earlier percents, so my opponent will not expect the down throw. Though at really low percents Down throw does NOT lead to a re grab. Usually i will jab then grab instead, resetting the situation. I wont do this once or twice neither. I usually make my down throw, a normal part of my CG pattern to constantly mix up the DI for it.

I dont know at what percent exactly, but ik Falco can be Down throw chain grabbed. When ever i grab falco, i definetly make sure to throw in some down throws just to keep my opponent guessing.

TLDR;Sometimes its good to throw in some up throws on a character thats traditionally chain grabbed by down throws, and vise versa.

Last edited:
Top Bottom