• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

White Flight, a MetaKnight WiFi Montage

GiantKiller

Smash Cadet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpWC_s92vNk

Hot off of Windows Movie Maker! (yes, I'm too cheap to buy better video editing software).

Note, I specifically avoided calling this a combo video, even though I use the terms "montage video" and "combo video" interchangeably, 'cause I don't want to start up another "combs don exits in brawl" argument. This is just an experiment to see if I could put together something entertaining out of WiFi footage.

Enjoy!

-GK

Arma_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Armadeous
Eh, I wasn't very impressed. Almost all your opponents were 100%+ and usually all you did to them was a simple hit sequence (utilt, up b, death). I know it's not really a 'combo video' but I would have rather seen more than the last 5 seconds of your opponents stock. :p

GiantKiller

Smash Cadet
Eh, I wasn't very impressed. Almost all your opponents were 100%+ and usually all you did to them was a simple hit sequence (utilt, up b, death). I know it's not really a 'combo video' but I would have rather seen more than the last 5 seconds of your opponents stock. :p
-Arma
I appreciate the input. You're absolutely right that it's heavy on Shuttle Loop kill sequences. That's probably a biproduct of the fact that Anything -> Shuttle Loop is my #1 means of getting K.O.s with MetaKnight in WiFi matches. It's got a huge hitbox which helps to make up for the imprecision of WiFi's input lag, and as a bonus, the lag also helps prevent it from being correctly air-dodged.

And you're right, not every clip has to be the end of a stock. I'll try to add more variety to future vids.

Thanks for the constructive criticism. Much appreciated.

-GK

Kaon

Smash Rookie
most the fights just seem like the regular finishing moves other than lasting combos or tricks you pull out of your sleeve to kill at 50% or less, but aside from that it wasnt to bad... i do admire the fact that you can pull off some well placed kills while on WiFi =)

GiantKiller

Smash Cadet
I mostly agree - I was impressed with the use of the uptilt but outside of that, 1-2 hit kills and nothing that crazy...sorry :p
-Shrinkray21

most the fights just seem like the regular finishing moves other than lasting combos or tricks you pull out of your sleeve to kill at 50% or less, but aside from that it wasnt to bad... i do admire the fact that you can pull off some well placed kills while on WiFi =)
-Kaon
I appreciate the criticism. I made a judgment call as to which clips to include. I did have some footage of longer juggles/more sustained "combos" to include, but upon closer review they're all basically the result of poor DI/dodging by my opponents (as is the case with most, if not all, brawl "combo" vids). None appeared to be 'guaranteed' combos, a lot of it might have been the result of WiFi-lag, and they were basically just showcasing my ability to punish poor DI/dodging on wifi. So I went with the shorter, flashier kill clips, tried to include things like u-tilt combo kills and drill-rush combo kills, things which I rarely see MKs use for killing. Then threw in a large dose of my personal favorite, shuttle loop kills, and purposely called it a montage video instead of a combo video to avoid the "hey these aren't combos" argument.

It would appear from the commentary that a more healthy mix of extended juggles, recovery gimping, and some flashier kills would make for a better (or at least more crowd-pleasing) video. Thanks for all of the feedback so far and please keep it coming!

-GK

Tnt726

Smash Cadet
"not a fan" (ring a bell?)

ok NOT TO BE A COMPLETE BUTT HOLE.. but u told me to watch and comment.

THAT WAS REALLY BAD! mainly cuz u didnt even run! and the opponents were horrible!
but im sure uve gotten much better since then, and that Try harder and good things will happen to those who practice.

if its your first video its not bad.. but it does need some work, Make another and ill be more then happy to comment back on it to help you

GiantKiller

Smash Cadet
ok NOT TO BE A COMPLETE BUTT HOLE.. but u told me to watch and comment.
-Tnt726
I think my exact suggestion was to "feel free to flame the hell out of it" if you felt my criticisms of others' videos were too harsh or unfounded. It doesn't make you seem like a butt hole. I invite criticism as freely as I give it.

THAT WAS REALLY BAD! mainly cuz u didnt even run!
-Tnt726
LOL that's a new one. I appreciate your point of view, and maybe that does detract from the pace of the video somewhat, but let me add some advice of my own: Not every movement has to be a dash. Dashing is not always necessary to get where you need to be, and it limits your options somewhat. Dashing in is a fairly predictable approach, too. I've had more success with a slower-paced, more patient and reactive style of play in WiFi matches, so that's what you see in this WiFi movie.

and the opponents were horrible!
-Tnt726
That I disagree with. Keep in mind, this video was created entirely from WiFi footage in online games with lag/latency ratings ranging from green to orange. While they may not have been giving phenomenal performances in these clips, these were some of the better people I've played against in WiFi matches. If you haven't already, get involved in some online ladders and you'll see what I mean.

And this is from another thread but it was directed at me so...

all that does is put others down, and after having that done by my mom my whole life i cant begin to tell you how it feels if anyone puts some one down, it angers me
-Tnt726
Listen, this is the best advice I can possibly give you on a message board... don't post sh*t like this on the internet. It's too personal, too private, completely irrelevant, and just gives people a guaranteed method for pushing your buttons if they want to. Virtually anyplace you go on the internet, there are going to be people who will go out of their way to make others feel bad, and this is exactly the type of information they need to get to you. I suggest you edit it out of that post, and when you do, I'll edit this whole mess out of mine.

-GK

Top Bottom