• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Whistle Armor Bad?

Piratey_Critter

Smash Apprentice
Everyone is freaking out over whistle armor. This is my question. Is there any reason to ever do it instead of spot dodge or air dodge?

Unless I'm mistaken, spot dodging is going to recover just as fast as, if not faster than, a whistle armor. This means you can punish just as many moves with a spot dodge followed by an attack as you could with whistle armor followed by an attack, but the spot dodge doesn't take damage like the whistle armor would.

Is there something I'm missing, or is this tech not very useful?

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
In many situations yes it is better to just spot or air dodge. However the whistle armor is slightly faster than the air dodge (possible the spot dodge too I have yet to test it) so there are situations where it can be useful.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
=) I love that people just answered his question kindly and completely, says a lot about the Olimar community. I guess i'm the mean one, but for the sake of keeping track of stuff, organization and state of mind, Piratey Critter I'm gonna have to ask you to please in the future bother looking for stuff before making a new thread.

You know that people are somewhat freaking out about whistle armor these past few days, so I know you must've read at least some of the posts, most likely in HollaAtchaBoy's thread. If you would have read all of the posts though, you would have seen that this is already being discussed there. Even just posting this question there would make more sense than making a new thread.

I really hope i'm not coming across as flaming you, I really am glad your taking an interest in Olimar and asking good reasonable questions, its just a lot easier on everyone if we don't just make a new thread any time we aren't sure of something that is at least being talked about pretty seriously at the time. Its kinda like if we were all talking about things in real life, you suddenly went into a different room and asked a question that was already being talked about in the next room that you were in earlier. =/

So heres a link to that thread: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=147749 it'd be awesome if you watched HollaAtchaBoy's vids along with the example Wararchon found, and then even post what you think about it or more questions/ideas in that thread, just so we can keep it all in one place. That way in the future when we forget something about Whistle Armor Cancel, we can just go to that thread, cause everything about it is there =)

-True

nyhustler208

Smash Journeyman
agress with true im also seeing lots of new faces on the olimar boards which means olimar is getting popular :(

* ismelloverusedintheair*

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
So heres a link to that thread: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=147749 it'd be awesome if you watched HollaAtchaBoy's vids along with the example Wararchon found, and then even post what you think about it or more questions/ideas in that thread, just so we can keep it all in one place. That way in the future when we forget something about Whistle Armor Cancel, we can just go to that thread, cause everything about it is there =)

-True
When I actually have time to surf the boards and am not just doing it while procrastinating from making lesson plans I'll edit the post and create as concise and simple an analysis in the first post of the thread.

Thanks, True, for promoting my thread and secondarily my vids. ^^

Also, get at True for being the unofficial mod of the Olimar board.

Hammydude

Smash Rookie
I was just reading about the whistle shield... don't you still get damage with no knock back? If so, how could that be better than air dodging, because when you air dodge, you get no knock back and no damage. To me, the shield seems to be a last resort, in case you have a brain cramp and you just react with it.

Fox4695

Smash Apprentice
the only time I ever have a need for it is when I lack pikmin and am trying to get back onto the stage, but other than that, just using air dodge is a better choice. I've never wanted, and dont plan on doing it while on the ground as a replacement for shielding or sidestepping

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Thats fair that you don't plan on using it currently, but if you'll check the main thread about WAC you'll see theres a pretty well developed discussion on it about possible uses, more so than just obvious. For instance there is no shield knockback for using it, unlike shielding, nor is there nearly as much lag as side stepping. These reasons alone could POTENTIALLY make it more useful, you may take a little % but you may also get a kill because of it that you wouldn't be able to shielding or air dodging. It'd be silly to just write off such a unique technique without in depth exploration of what its possible of. I'd really suggest checking out the thread, I'll even post it again =P
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=147749

-True

Super_Nostalgic

Smash Apprentice
Spot dodging only lasts so long, and if they use an attack that goes past you, if you have a long dodge, they can punish you. Air dodging also lasts for so long and there is time after it when you can't do it again. Whistle armor comes out a lot faster than you can air dodge and instead of passing through the thing, you can mindgame, just suck it up and maybe even be in a good postion to do some massive counter attacks. Like what? I don't know, I think WAing someones B-up then following with a spike would be tasty, but thats only in theory. I didn't kill to much when I got to play him... I almost pulled a txtbk combo though, and that was a great feeling knowing I got a couple throws in.

redshift71388

Smash Apprentice
Well 'whistle armor' isn't really as amazing as some would try to suggest. I mean, consider that the Mother and StarFox characters' down specials not only prevent flinch/knockback, but also percent damage. They also have an added beneficial effect, and can be held indefinitely. Those moves have been around since Super Smash Bros., so Olimar's down special is nothing game breaking in comparison. Still, I'm not saying it's not useful.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Erm, you can attack a shining character with a normal non projectile move and hurt them, not only damage but knockback too. With whistle armor no matter what kind of attack (other than grab) you won't be knocked back at all. You won't even slide backwards the way you do when you shield strong attacks.

-True

Top Bottom