• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Whiffed dair isn't suicide

Eji1700

Smash Apprentice
In the right conditions. Maybe this isn't news, but I figured it was worth mentioning, and didn't see exactly where else to put it.

In short, on FD/battlefield if you single jump over the edge to your max height, and then dair, even if you miss completely you can double jump+pump to recover.

Likewise if you're at max double jump you can just pump to recover if you miss.

I tested this on omega megaman stage. It's actually quite hard to do the single jump one there, as it's very deep, but also shallow? It requires the wall jump to get back up, while the double jump pump cancel seemed much easier.

The single jump doesn't seem to work AT ALL on yoshi's, but the double jump is possible.

Both work on omega ferox

Both work on Omega rainbow road.

Thats all the testing i did. I'm not sure what the legal stages are, but i tried to at least get the neutrals. I've no idea if the omega's vary with blast zones(i assume they might) so it may need more testing. Ferox was there just because i know it's actually unique in that it's got the pillar, while megaman and rainbow represent the "wall" and "floating" types.

This doesn't completely change his edge game, but it's nice to know if you're up a stock that you can play a little risky if they are in the right positions, and maybe get that dair spike and put them down quick, without having to commit to death if you miss(although you're not going to be in the best position obviously it is somewhat hard for them to react in time if they aren't ready for it). Mostly this just gives us one more option in the edge game, if only at very specific heights.

The important thing to note is that you NEED to cancel the dair asap. It seems the move will continue longer if you don't do anything(or your momentum will), so jumping/pumping at the earliest possible moment is important(especially for the pump only one...which is much harder to do reliably).

MM720

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM720
3DS FC
0259-0380-4806
Indeed so. I didn't discover this at first because the game doesn't really make it seem all that possible and practical, but using this allows you to get more dangerous with the dairs and make spikes slightly less risky (in addition to sometimes fooling your opponent into thinking you SD'D. Once someone did a long taunt so I was able to get back on stage AND hit him)...

It's still risky though since the pump may fail you if you're too far from the stage (it encourages stuff like early bthrow>dair meteor smashes).

This is probably common knowledge to most Greninja mains already tho, but still good to have in case someone didn't know and just gave up after a failed dair.

Seith

Smash Cadet
I was aware of this, but doing dair is still a gamble when you're off the cliff, I never do it anymore unless I'm able to read my opponent well.

KERO

Smash Journeyman
I've known about this for a bit as well but never found Dair worth going for since it gives up a lot of Greninja's momentum and stage control if it misses. I'd only go for it if it's basically guaranteed, but usually in that specific situation, it's probably better to just fast fall Bair them into the stage and Hydro Pump them upward after, which puts them in a horrible situation whether they tech or not as it will push them up and outward if they tech since Greninja is facing away from the stage (as long as you don't B-reverse it), it will stage spike them, or it will push them away from the stage (on say like... block omega stages) right into Hydro Pump.

That said, having more options is never a bad thing, and I could see this being a good alternative given that at higher percents Dair combos into Shadow Dash.

Marilink

Smash Journeyman
I'd rather just avoid Dair off the stage altogether. IMO, the best use of Dair is after you roll to the ledge (i.e. get as close to the ledge as possible). If you jump and Dair, you can still Meteor your recovering opponent but you won't whiff off the stage. This also makes SH Dair meteors a lot less risky. This works best as a Mix-up if your usual edge guard strategy is Hydro Pump (which it should be). After you Hydro Pump edge guard a couple times, your opponent will try to wall hug if possible, and this is when you can roll to edge > SH Dair for the meteor KO.

Red5_snt

Smash Cadet
NNID
Red5_snt
3DS FC
5429-7893-3202
I actually like doing d-air off the side like hugging the edge. From what I've experienced it's fantastic against vertical recoveries like Mac, Marth/lucina, megaman etc, but of course only once per game cause no one is dumb enough to fall for it twice.. or at least I'd hope not. Usually the opponent is too shaken up by it to actually make it back after that, but I doubt it will have the same effect once people get used to the game more.

Top Bottom