• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which pokemon to master first?

stoopdklutz

Smash Journeyman
Quoting my friend(god, I feel like an ambassador to my friends who are too lazy to make an account.):
"I don't know who to master first. Ivysaur seems like first choice, then Charizard, then Squirtle. Heh. Thats the cycle."

So, My indirect question is- which pokemon is the most essential to Pt users?

Don't flame me!

And thanks in advance.

DimSum

Smash Rookie
I'd have to say master all 3. What Poke' you use is really dependent on who you're facing. Olimar doesn't like Charizard SHing with FF to burn his ***got Pikmin. MK doesn't like Razor Leaves thrown in his face when he's attempting to approach. TBH, nothing likes a Razor Leaf camping Ivy'. o.o

Squirtle's got beastly air game. Fair's outprioritized by only Double Fairs by Marth, IIRC. Don't quote me on that, though.

So yeah, master all 3 simultaneously. But if you want to go the one at a time route, don't play many WiFi matches.

To answer the last question and to reiterate my entire post, all 3 Poke's are essential.

the wet mop

Smash Rookie
i would also say master all three. instead of trying to learn one extremely well, continue using them all. try to use each one in every match and you'll learn more about their strengths and weaknesses.

royinator

Smash Cadet
quoting Card (his guide's a sticky and currently 3 above your thread)
"This is exactly what Pokemon Trainer is about! The P.Trainer has at his disposal the abilities of 3 very different characters. If mastered, P.Trainer players will hold the complete advantage over other characters, since the opponent will be the one who has to “adapt” to the multiple different play styles for each different Pokemon, whereas the P.Trainer player will be already comfortable with whichever Pokemon is currently in play. Not to mention P.Trainer has totally different play styles and mind-games at his disposal throughout the course of a single match, which can lead to some very interesting matches to say the least.

I cannot stress enough HOW important it is to play with all 3 Pokemon, and not just use 1 the Entire fight!. Learning how to play with all 3 Pokemon, in addition to learning each Pokemon’s strengths and weaknesses, as well as counter-picks will be the key to becoming a Pokemon Master. (Ha-ha! sounds cliché, I know)"

HammerWang

Smash Apprentice
lol each person beat around the bush
ok of course master all 3, we got it
stoopdklutz, my advice: pick 1 poke that u like, get down all his moves, i.e. Ivysaur
ok now get used to his range, his aerials, bullet seed, etc. all the little tid bits of him so you know how to use him. once u got 1 poke down, move on to ur next

try not to pick favorites, but do start with 1. each poke shines in diff situations and u gotta learn when which 1 pwns

so IMO, Ivysaur haha unless u like squirtle or charizard :p

edit: this is for the direct question lol
the indirect question has been answered 3 times already

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman
I like how everyone says all 3. Im really really hopeing we dont have to keep repeating this over and over I would think it was self explanitory.(no disrespect to anyone) I believe the term "master " is not in favor cause everyone says the same thing over again. Training might make everyone happier (sorry just getting old imo) I hear everyone has trouble with ivy so yeah I think Ivy then charizard so on.

HammerWang

Smash Apprentice
lol why do ppl have trouble with ivy? and some are anti-ivy??
just watch some chudat vids n ur straight haha for real shes not that bad lol

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman
I love ivy but I had serious timing issues and i just think she isnt as easy to pick up as the others, why maybe some dont liketo use her at first.

yule4

Smash Rookie
in the case of PT, you can't have have love for two and disregard the other one.. or vice-versa.. PT presents the most versatility out of any of the smash characters.. Limiting yourself to only one or two pokemon will on limit your PT..

But as for training yourself.. i differs from player to player, i'm used to using diddy kong, so squirtle came easy to me, and i found that ivysaur and olimar for me has some similarities with respect to range of attacks and ridiculous quick grab range.. but as for charizard i was at a loss.. he still presents problems for me, but i'm not going to ignore his insane power and recovery :).. And to help with training with charizard, while maintaining my abilities with the other 2 i usually do 4 stock matches, and begin with charizard( this can be done by clicking(A) him on the brawl selection menu).. so i start with charizard with the first stock, squirtle next, then ivysaur for the next, and to finish with charizard..

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
Ivysaur, Squirtle, Charizard.
Ivy is the Mario of your team. Smack dab in the middle. Squirtle is the fox of the group, fast extreme. Char is the other extreme, slow but powerful like bowser.

I love ivy but I had serious timing issues and i just think she isnt as easy to pick up as the others, why maybe some dont liketo use her at first.
I was like that too!! You just need to get more ivy time. After a while you just get used to it. I find Ivysaur is the best to start off with he can combo and kill easily. After that you have a lot of damage so you switch to char who can take a few hard blows and kos at low %. So after your killed you will get squirtle who can combo until kingdom come.

squirtle. by far the most versitile of the bunch. than the other two. i would start with charzard. i am kinda anti ivysaur, but i know i need to get good with him.
I’m no squirtle hater but I have to say squirtle is the least versatile of the group. He doesn’t have a good projectile and when you take this aerial game away he sucks. Just try playing squirtle against Toon link he’s horrible.

f1r3 3mbl3m

Smash Cadet
I personally Prefer ivy, then squirtle. I don't like Charizard that much, mainly because of the speed issues. but you (and me too) really do need to learn how to play as all of them. Oh, and Kynaguy, Squirtle has a projectile. Have you ever used his normal b?

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman
I was like that too!! You just need to get more ivy time. After a while you just get used to it. I find Ivysaur is the best to start off with he can combo and kill easily. After that you have a lot of damage so you switch to char who can take a few hard blows and kos at low %. So after your killed you will get squirtle who can combo until kingdom come.

Actually I said i was like that =P but what you decribed is exactly my fighting style. i skip squirtle because i can rack up just as much damage with IVY and live longer. By then my dmg is up and ive either killed or its time for killing blows as charizard. Then squirtle comes in last to pick up the slack catch up on dmg then ivy finishes them off,

(by the way sorry for crappy typing)

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman
Also squirtle imo is just so **** easy to use sop i never felt I had to train with him but of course there are really good things you could do with him just hes not a priority since his speed and air game works so well.

ScottSadistic

Smash Journeyman
Squirtle First
Ivysaur Second
Charizard 3rd

Squirtles speed and air game is just great.
Ivysaurs Up throw + Vine whip OWNZ especially when they r at high damage
Charizard is a good balanze of pow and speed and his gliding makes it hard to keep him off. plus, Shorthopping his Fair is good to do to

I also like charizards down throw is awesome to...but thats just cuz it looks cool and has a high damge. not good knockback tho...best to do when they r at low damages

mrbr0wn1e

Smash Cadet
I would say, that Ivy is the more all-around one, both, Squirtle and Charizard are for quick damage. Squirtle escapes easily, and has really damage-dealing moves. While Charizard, is a powerhouse and doesn't die easily. I would recommend giving it more priority to Ivysaur, since it's harder to master and to pick'n'play. Making it your "main" but still knowing how to use the other two, will result in a successful match.

DDRKirby(ISQ)

Smash Ace
since you're prolly gonna get around to all three at some point, it's really all up to preference. All three can successfully be used as "base" pokemon, as none of them really suck at anything too bad.

If you start with the one that most suits your style, you'll probably have better success since you'll find it easier to adapt. Try them out and see which one is most to your liking. Like squirtle's nonstop aerial action and shellshifting? Or maybe Ivy's defensive razor leaf+bair game? Or maybe Charizard's killer tilts and rock smash trixies? Up to you.

But really it's only a SHORT TRANSITION PHASE before you learn to play all three anyways. Don't sweat the little things.

One last thing, if you're finding yourself having a lot of trouble with a particular matchup, you may want to think about which pokemon might be best suited to help you there. Though again, an uphill yet well-played battle can be a lot more effective than a poorly played counterpick.

shadowmm151

Smash Apprentice
I'd say u should learn to play ivy first cuz it takes a lot more practice to find ur niche with ivy. Then u should probly learn to play with charizard since his ko potential is ridiculous (rock smash anybody). In addition he lives forever and isn't as slow as everyone says he is. I would pick squirtle last since faster characters are generally easier to pick up. Now i know that isn't always true but if u've already mastered ivysaur (a difficult character to do so with IMO) u shouldn't have trouble adapting to squirtles "fast character" moveset.

a little off topic---i see ppl calling ivysaur a she...is there evidence for this or just what u've decided on ur own?

haitianzero

Smash Rookie
Ivysaur has range and KO potential in her smashes. Her A combo is nice because it spaces your opponents away and her F-Tilt racks nice damage,is really quick, and it has good priority. I think people don't like her too much because she's pretty laggy, Razor Leaf is not THAT spammable because it's a Side-B special, instead of a Neutral-B special, and a passive-aggressive Up-B that's a teether recovery (even though the radius of it's edge grabbing range is quite large). I believe players have to have better timing, spacing, and more tactics with Ivysaur, more so than the other two.

Charizard has powerful smashes, range, speed, and power with his tilts, three jumps + Up-B + Glide, Rocksmash is deadly close range and it has many hitboxes that can disrupt an opponents attack, he can get free damage with flamethrower, has insane grab range and speed, and his D-Throw can kill at around 130% or more.

Squirtle is very agile and has a lot of speed. His aerial attacks have insane priority and virtually no lag afterwards, he can combo instantly from an aerial attack just by tapping A and the combo's last attack has some decent knockback (for a combo anyways), his Side-B can be used for mind games, annoying others in FFA, and be used as horizontal recovery when knocked out. He has a powerful Up-Smash and a D-Throw that has an identical KO potential as Charizard's. Squirtle also has good grab range as well.

Yes I know, I didn't talk about the other two's flaws because I just wanted to state why people lean away from Ivysaur. Charizard is a powerhouse and a tank. Squirtle is very fast and dominates the aerial game. Because of those factors, I believe it's easier to pick up the other two than Ivysaur.

infernovia

Smash Ace
The question "who to master first" really isn't one you should be asking us. It will come naturally as you play and you will gradually focus on the one that needs it the most. For example, I had a decent charizard and squirtle when I first started, so I chose to play with Ivysaur more. It improved drastically in just a few matches. Now, my squirtle has lost its edge and I am trying to input more mindgames. I don't see why you have to focus on only one at a time.

At the moment, I think squirtle has the most options for mindgaming and just general gameplay. He is very easy to pick up. However, because everybody is focusing on squirtle atm, I have been shying away from mastering him until I can get the information together in one place. Although I have to say, do not disregard him as he can cover a lot of weaknesses from the other two just because of his sheer size.

Ivysaur is scary once you get over his slowness and the fact that he is not squirtle. His has a lot of varieties and a lot of his attacks have different startup times which makes him hard for a pick me up and will probably the weakest at the beginning (most people who wanna have a good PT will probably focus on him first). IMO, with a good squirtle and Ivysaur, you can keep a decent amount of pressure and edge. If Ivysaur has a disadvantageous matchup, squirtle can cover it.

I love Charizard and I naturally keep up with him as I always try to switch to him when my damage meter becomes relatively high.

Darth Wedel

Smash Apprentice
^ what he said.

I love the way Trainer is so much of a challenge to master as a whole, with three characters in one. I don't actaully have the game yet, still waiting for a Pal release date =.= but Trainer is definately my favourite new character to enter Brawl.

n.n

On topic, I have, well, no idea who would be best to main first. It's all down to the individual person I guess. But actually mastering one of the Pokemon in itself is pretty useless, it's obviously best to concentrate on all three when learning to play as Trainer.

However, Charizard seems to be the best to learn first. As Card said in his guide, Charizard's not the best of the three - he'd probably be lower in the tier ranking if the pokemon were separated - but he's the "most useful" of the three, with great recovery and being a heavyweight at the same time, he's the ultimate tank. Of course though, this is my opinion.

What I know for sure, is that "mastering" (which isn't really possible, I hate this word) all three is ideal.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Also, charizards flame thrower is a force to be feared.

Yesterday i was playing against a skilled wolf.... the guy practically wiped my ivysaur with him in 10% , in my second stock,, charizard came in. My tactic focused around flamethrower...since i noticed the wolf was very aggresive and a little careless in his approaches. To sum it up, i took his first stock with FT and tilts. By this time my charizard was very high damaged and already tired. I let him continue fighting , and in the next stock, i trapped the wolf in 3 FTs, racking up more than 100%. Even when tired, the charizard killed him with a Fsmash...... and that totally inverted the battle,

later i won the match!.

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman
Yeah Ivy is a lil hard to win with wolf, it seems just need to slip up wolfs game and then its switches in your favor. I started to lose with ivy after putting up a nice fight switched really quick to charizard knocked him out then took squirtle. I only did this because wolf just wanted to ride my a$$ so I decided to ride him hard with squirtle. It seemed he got more frantic with his move set and I won. So all in all that proves you can win with just about anyone thats what is so wonderful about pt.

Xepa

Smash Rookie
Of course you'd have to master all
3 due to the fatigue factor set into
the pokemon, but I'd say Squirtle
would have the lowest learning curve
and is very typical to your standard
smash character.

stoopdklutz

Smash Journeyman
infernovia and Darth Wedel- I totally agree with your statements how much of a waste it is to only main one pokemon. It's like being handed three million dollars for free, and only spending one million.

When I told him to just choose one by himself( feel around for his most intuitive pokemon first), he chose Ivysaur because I told him thats his worst pokemon.

Remember, don't flame me for asking the questions, flame my friends...

Darth Wedel

Smash Apprentice
Top Bottom