• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which palette swaps/alternate costumes do you like using and why?

tipsyCalibrator

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jack0vAllTrades
Palette swaps and alternate costumes are great for adding a small, personal touch to the characters you play. Which ones do you prefer using for your characters, and why? Do you have a particularly thought out reason for why you use them, or is it just because you simply like the way they look?

My palettes and alts:

Orange Fox
It kind of reminds me of Melee, when everyone used the orange alt. It also kind of reminds me of the uniforms that the Rebel Alliance pilots wore in Star Wars (especially since Star Fox is already kinda like Star Wars anyway). It also just kinda fits with his color scheme

Black Greninja
It makes him look more like a ninja (I'd also use the black alt for Sheik for the same reason if I played her more)

Red and white Bayonetta
It makes her look like Jeanne from the Bayo games, and it's the only alt that I like (I don't like long hair Bayonetta)

Black Zero Suit Samus
It makes it look a bit like she's wearing a spy catsuit. Also it's shiny

Green Villager
She kinda sorta looks like Peppermint Patty a bit I guess?

In general, I only use alts or swaps for characters once I've decided to start seriously using them, kind of as a way of saying "this character is now officially one of my characters"

Last edited:

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
I like the connection you made between Villager and Peppermint Patty. Never considered that before.

:4peach:Green because green is my favorite color. That's all!
:4villagerf:Pink because it's closest to the villager design I had when I played animal crossing.
:4megaman:Black as it's one of my favorite color schemes from the Mega Man series (Thunder Beam)
:4ness:Yellow because he looks like a honeybee. It's adorable! I've used it since Smash64.

Most other characters I just swap between colors now and then and don't tend to be too picky.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
The two characters I use the most are Mario and Lucina, and with both of those, I use their default costumes. I don't like any of their alts, I genuinely think they look like garbage, no offence.
I use alts on the other two characters I play as, atleast. I use Red Dark Pit because I like that particular shade of red and I think it fits him, and I use Purple Sheik because I prefer the slight differences in colours it has over the original.

Jeronado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jeronado
3DS FC
0920-1020-8081
:4metaknight:Default: Cause it's the best
:4falco:Orange: I like how it looks with his blue feathers
:4marth:Purple: I just love the colour of his cape
:4samus: Dark Suit Samus: Cause it's cool looking. Samus has a lot of good alt colours though.
:4falcon:Default: I'm not really sure why, I just like default

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
:4mario:/:4luigi: Purple because he should've been playable.
:4bowser: Yellow because it reminds me of my husbando (why did Kill la Kill have to end ;_; )
:4drmario: Black because it looks like a suit.
:4dk: Pink because why would I use anything else.
:4ganondorf: Smurf
:4samus: Black because I think Dark Samus would've made a really cool character and IMO should've been in since Brawl.
:4kirby: Black because he looks like a Heartless.
:4fox: The one that looks like :wolf:
:4charizard: Purple because I miss Snake and this costume reminds me of Big Boss ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
:4morton: idk I just like Morton
:4megaman: Red because Protoman's cool.
:4cloud: Emo-ass half columbine jacket because his overalls looks really weird to me for some reason.

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
:rosalina: White Rosalina 'cause it's beautiful
:4robinm: Blue 'cause it's my favourite colour
:4gaw: Red, I don't why but I like it
:4ness: Black with Mr Saturn for the win
:4falcon: Pink is the manliest colour
:4shulk: Topless Shulk 'cause ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Most of the time, I find myself using the default palette for all of my characters. Of course, there are some exceptions...
  • I like pretty much all of:4rob:'s costumes, so I might use one of his alts to mix it up.
  • Along with the default, I like:4mewtwo:'s Mew (Pink) and Shadow costumes.
  • :4duckhunt:'s "Hong Kong Phooey" alt is one I like to use on occasion.
  • :4gaw:'s "Greyman-Watch" costume. Because monochrome is the only way to play when you're:4gaw:!
  • :4pacman:Oven Mitts. Need I say more?

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
:rosalina: Purple, gold, or pink, depending on my mood. Rarely green.

:4corrinf: Black or default♀. I like default♀ more but I feel like I play better with black, and the sky blue cape gives it nice contrast.

:4dedede: Sky blue, purple, or pink, depending on my mood.

:4greninja: Greyninja.

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
I typically use red colors only, so:
:4tlink:-Red Link (red alt)
:4luigi:-Fire flower luigi (white alt)
:4sonic:-Chaos emerald sonic (he doesn't have a red alt :()
:4villager:-The mayor (default alt)
:4lucina:-Fire flower lucina (red alt)
:4corrinf:-The american dragon (pink alt)

Last edited:

ShulkMonadoBoi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Luigi_The_Jumper
3DS FC
1289-9400-8598
Blue :4ness:: Looks better on him
Fire :4mario:/:4luigi:: So they are actually using the Fire Flower
Claus:4lucas:: Rest in pepperonis
Purple:4villager:: I don't even know
Blue:4samus:: Fusion is bae
Gold :4falcon:: Flashy! Acrobatic! Useless!
Blue:4dk:: Everyone likes blue expansions

tipsyCalibrator

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jack0vAllTrades
Just realized there's a couple that I forgot about

Fire Flower Mario
Having the Fire Flower in the original Mario was the most powerful Mario to be, so it kind of feels like you're playing as the most powerful Mario

Red/Red and white Rosalina
Both of them for the same reason as Mario, and I also kind of like that the red alt makes her look like she's wearing a fancy dress or something. The default dress looks more like a nightgown or something which is fine too, but something about the red dress looks fancier

Orange Falco
Same reasons for why I use Orange Fox. His color scheme also fits with the orange, though more because they complement each other rather than because they're close to each other like Fox's. Also this color palette was originally based on a Falco outfit in the Star Fox games, so it's pretty fitting

Old school Captain Falcon
I like the throwback to the original Captain Falcon design. Also, it's the only alt that isn't used all the time. Especially because every Captain Falcon player who uses those other alts always seem to play in a super douchey way (sorry to anyone who plays with the other alts, I'm sure you're great, I'm probably talking about someone else)

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
:4corrin:- Green because he's a Dragon-man.
:4drmario:- Black because it does looks good on him.
:4gaw: - Default because his alts aren't as good in my opinion.
:4pacman: - Oven Mitts because it's the best alt.
:4robinm: - White because of how much it contrasts from the other costumes (with his hair being a different color than his robe).

Daenerys

Smash Rookie
:4zelda: Pink Because she looks the most like Daenerys
:4peach:White/Red Because it reminds me of Sailor Moon
:4jigglypuff:Bow Because out of all the accessories I could totally see myself putting a bow on my Pokemon (Peach's crown was cute too but rip)
:rosalina:
Pink Because I thought it would be cool for her to look like Peach and Peach look like Daisy when I got the game and it stuck ever since.

:4pikachu:
PartyHat Because it looks like a p chill Pikachu to be around

:4bayonetta2:
Blue Because its similar to other top tier ladies and it makes matches against them all the more sassier.

:4wiifitm:
Yellow Because he's so nice and yellow makes everyone happy

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
:4kirby::Light blue, since it's my favorite color

:4jigglypuff::Sleepy hat (I hate all the other coustumes apart from default)

:4pikachu::The green one that Esam uses, since I like green better than yellow

:4yoshi::Light-Blue or Black since those look the best

:4mario::American Mario, since I live in America.

:4alph::Alph

:4morton::Favorite koopaling for whatever reason. I really like Bowser Jr too though so I usually forget to switch alts.

:4gaw::Light Blue, since once again, favorite color

:4villager::Default. Everything else looks ugly.

:4fox::The Grey one that looks like Wolf because it looks best (NOT BECAUSE OF WOLF)

For everyone else, I either have no preferance, am forgetting the preferance, or like default best but not by a huge amount like Villager.

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
:4alph: - Default, but he's considered a measly Olimar alt.
:4drmario: - Black, because it looks snazzy.
:4lucas: - Baby Drago shirt, because Baby Dragos are adorable.
:4pikachu: - Blue goggles, because I loved playing as Pichu in Melee.
:4littlemac: - Black shirt and yellow shorts because Little Mac is super cheesy and yellow shorts remind me of Mac and Cheese.
:4ness: -The black alt. Because black is cool.
:4yoshi: - Same as Ness.

Last edited:

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
I tend to go for the most striking alts, which tend to be black, white, or red. So I play white Corrin, White DK, red Bowser, black Dr. Mario, etc. That being said, if there's a certain palette swap that EVERYBODY uses, I tend to get sick of looking at it, which is why I don't play as dark Mewtwo, for example.

MidwesternHawk

Smash Cadet
NNID
newsimcity2013
:4falcon:-Light Blue/Green-My preferred colors for the Cap, because one is the best of his alts, and the other is my favorite colour
:4drmario:-Yellow/Lilac-It reminds me of the Clue characters
:4fox:-Purple/Green/Green+White-It is one of the colors that changes Fox's fur colors, and my preferred one, and the other is my favorite color and the green with white accents
:4lucina:-Orchid-One of my common colors, and I honestly do not care what the origins are(I understand them, don't tell me)
:4marth:-Green/White/Black/Golden-Ally Green(favorite colour)-Classic Smash Colors of both white and black-Golden Royal(Ok on Falcon, but Marth is better)
:4feroy:-Orchid/Yellow-First thing I go to when I chose him and yellow for the same reasons as Marth
:4sonic:-Ice Blue-The best color to be different form the default types
:4ryu:-
Volt-I like the uniformity of this alternate costume
:4mario:-Golfing-Because that is a nice pattern, and looks cool
:4megaman:-Metal Blade/Item X-The two colours I gravitate to from MM2
:4duckhunt:-
Dalmation-My favorite type of of pattern for the Dog and Duck Combo

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
:4pacman: Plaid because who doesn't love destroying people while sporting oven mitts?
:4metaknight: Dark Blue to further enhance his secret nature, or Galacta Knight because Galacta Knight.
:4drmario: Gray because it looks sleek and ninja-like, or blue because it's one of my favorite colors.
:4tlink: Blue for the same reason as Doc, or lavender to complement blue with a cutesy art style.
:4miigun: Well...this one doesn't really apply, but my Mii is dressed up as a cowgirl, so I guess that's kinda Brownish?
---
:4mario: 'MURICA! Also, gray and white for the contrast.
:4fox: Black, red, green/white, and purple all have nice color schemes that don't contrast.
:4bayonetta2: Black (red headband) because it looks sleek (again?), which fits Bayo's character.
:4bowser: Gray and white for contrast, or green because it's my favorite color, especially that rich shade.
:4cloud: Black Soldier, being one of the most bold (not faded) colors he has.
:4kirby: Monochrome for simplicity, or orange for being underused and one of my favorite colors.
:4dk: Green for my favorite color, or albino because the Dong is pure. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
:4falco: Black for sleekness, or purple for being a color I like.
---
:4lucario: Gray for sleekness, or lavender for being a shade of purple.
:4zelda: Green for favorite color, or white for unity (without changing hair color).
:4robinf: Gold. Duh.

I guess I like black/gray a lot because it helps me not get distracted and looks sleek.

Last edited:

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
:4sonic: The default. I would pick another color, but even too much shading on our boy's quills is bound to look off. :troll:
:4villager: Girl with blue and yellow shirt. Two words: THOSE EYES! (I even named a custom set after this observation)
:4mario: The true American palette! 'Cause freedom!
:4pikachu: The extra shiny/tan one with the Choice Band, y'know what I'm sayin'?
:4mewtwo: Sea green one. That's the closest Sm4sh gets to shiny, although I wish Game Freak would just let the Sm4sh team use the shiny palettes sometimes...
:4marth: Red. Just because.
:4feroy: Blue to complement Marth's red. Also because.
:4ryu: Yeah, uh, you know how it is: Black-n-yellow, black-n-yellow, black-n-yellow, black-n-yellow...
:4duckhunt: Dalmatian.
:4corrin: Pink/red male. The pinkest color they can get! :V

TAN-MAN

Smash Cadet
NNID
EvitanArt
:4fox: Black because his kicks are fresh. White/Green because it looks crisp and clean.

:4mario: Red and white because it is scientifically proven to be one of the coolest possible color combinations.

:4cloud: The red one because it's the most unique out of his colors.

:4myfriends:I like a lot of his palettes. I use the Brown/Bronze and red one the a lot because it reminds me the most of Guts from Berserk. Though Ike in general reminds me of Guts.

:4metaknight: I use white because he looks all ethereal and whatnot.

:4greninja: I use the blood red, just a nice deep red.

:4lucario: Use mostly the teal/Turquoise looking one, may favorite colors.

:4sonic: I use the white one, because one of his bracelets has a glowing green thing on it, reminds me of a fitness bracelet, and I think it'd be hilarious if sonic wore a step counter or something. XD

Moorthen

Smash Apprentice
:4marth: Default, red, green, blue... pretty much any color that's not white or yellow. I really like most of Marth's colors, but the white and yellow ones are really lame.
:4cloud:/:4cloud2: Sleeveless AC and black SOLDIER. The AC look is my favorite look for Cloud and it looks even better without the extra sleeve. I also think his SOLDIER uniform looks much better in black.
:4shulk: The Melia (purple) color because Shulk and Melia are muh OTP. Also, Shulk looks very good in it.
:4myfriends: Red, green, and the purplish one. They look very good on Ike. Not a fan of the blue, white or black ones. Default and yellow are okay.
:4corrin:/:4corrinf: Default for both. The others are super lame.
:4robinm: Blue because it reminds me of Marth.
:4robinf: Pink because it reminds me of bubblegum.

ZafKiel

Smash Apprentice
:4lucina: Tharja, Tiki, or Sumia color ways because they were my favorites from Awakening
:4robinm:/:4robinf: Normal looks the best, but occasionally pink or red for Female Robin.
:4myfriends: Chrom palette (he's partially in Smash 4 right?)
:4ganondorf: Red only
:4feroy: All red
:4cloud:/:4cloud2: I feel like everyone automatically goes to the Advent Children costume just because it looks cool. I've actually seen the film but I like to go the standard FFVII red (I'm just cool like that).
:4falcon: Only Saiyan or Fighting Breast Cancer palettes only.

Last edited:
Top Bottom