• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which one is the best?

shortwanabelaker

Smash Journeyman
what do you think?

my opinion:

After reading all the different reviews, i have come to the conclusion that they are all amazing. Better at different times, but seriously every single review, guide, impression, or w/e else says something different:

"charizard is far better than the others"
"ivysaur is absoltely amazing"
"squirtle can easily out play other 2"

the only thing i can come up with is that they must all be really really good.

Helios42

Smash Cadet
I have to agree. I think a lot of the 'this one is good' comes from pre-determined opinions, and the playstyle of the person. If they use/like annoyers, then the will say squirtle is best, if they like ranged attacks, and if they like hard hitters, they say charzard is best.

I'm personally looking at him optamisticly. I swear I've heard that squirtle is awsome, and also that squirtle isn't as great as he seems. I think it's situational, and they all have good benifits, as well as drawbacks. So, to all you people planing on using just one, or even just two, you are missing out on one of the overall benifits, contering the opponent.

Props to you for making a thread for this topic, I'm sure it's on a lot of peoples minds :)

AmericanBison

Smash Cadet
I hope that time will show us they are all equal. The learning curve is hard. I can understand people clinging to one out of the three. I think guides are best done objectively. Some of the opinions presented in some guides reflect the bias of the writer. It could be they couldn't utilize an aspect of one of the three(ivysaur) as well as others so they deemed it not as good as the other two(S&C).
I'm not a fan of tier. I see how it is useful, but I think it takes the game is a less creative direction.

Luck-NYC/NJ

Smash Lord
BergenField, Bergen County(North East Jersey)
the key to pokemon trainer is not going to be to use one of them exceptionally well. its going to be to use them all well. ive played PT and i noticed they are all good in almost every aspect.

Squirtle is fast and has great air game, while he is also light. But his up-smash and f-smash are both strong KO moves as well.

Ivysaur has great priority and range. he is about as fast as mario (average speed) and has great kill moves in the air. ivysaur is the most balanced of the 3 but that doesnt mean hes the best.

Charizard is strong and a little slow but he makes up for it with his range. charizard can auto cancel his fair to grab which is really useful for approaching.

PT is great because he has so much variety. dont single out the pokemon only think of them as one.

Linkubus

Smash Cadet
Squirtle seems to be the easiest out of the three to play, which is why I feel like people pay him more attention. He can start combos with ease.

Of course the real test will be mastering them all, and discover what situations suit their playstyles best. I still haven't seen this done, so until then it's hard to argue which is or can be the best in most situations.

AmericanBison

Smash Cadet
What I am interested in is what kind of situations are they best at? Or which of the three counter picks which characters? I understand they have different strengths but when and why are those strengths good against another character. One I completely understand is switching to charizard makes you survive longer, but I am not sure about other people's theories. Mostly, I just want to hear more explanation.

Minipolce

Smash Rookie
There's no uber-pokemon that beats the other two. They are all so balanced and it's pretty funny because Squirtle qould kill Charizard because he's way faster. Yet, ivysaur could kill squirtle thanks to his ranged attacks. And Charizard can beat Ivysaur with brute strength and a fair amount of gliding.(watch out for the bullet seed though) Squirtle seems to be the most POPULAR but by no means the best.

jacksgrapes

Smash Rookie
if i had a million dollars i would bet that one of them will be better than the other 2.

ya they are all going to have their situations, but that doesnt mean one of them cant be the best

keeperofthekeys

Smash Cadet
im not going to say whose the best, but im totally going to say that I like squirtle the best because he's basically just a really good jigglypuff(from melee). I mained jigglypuff in melee and he can WOP like no other. i really like ivysaur and charizard too though.

I play the best with squirtle, but im undecided as to who i think is the best(potentialwise)

I Like Smash...

Smash Apprentice
i have no idea which one is the best...
but i do know that i prefer playing with Squirtle and Ivysaur over Charizard...
i feel like i play better with them than with Charizard...
im actually surprised how much i enjoy playing with Pokemon Trainer...
i might even end up maining him...

BAND!T

Smash Cadet
theyre all situational. but for defensive tactics... ivysaur.. piss off tactics, squirtle. charizard for the tankers. but im just stating the obvious.

Largo833

Smash Rookie
They're all great- each one of them has different strengths for different strategies and situations. Pokemon trainer seems to be designed for versatility and for all three to be used, so I think that if someone tries to claim that one of his pokemon is best of the three, they don't completely comprehend what PT is all about.

Binx

Smash Master
Well I played 2 matches with PT today against my brother, and basically I was wrecking his face with squirtle until I killed myself on accident on FD (BF edge, bah) then I was about equal with Ivy, but lost, then I finally got my kill with charizard and killed him the other two times with charizard, char has some really sick range and pretty good mobility both in the ground and in the air, also the weight was helpful.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
I think the main reason no one thinks Ivysaur is any good is because no one likes him... :(

He has a move that can do 50%, his up-smash kills babies at a distance of 5 miles, and those vines are
fast. Plus, he's cute as a button.

I know that the others have potential, but Ivysaur has the most... Alone. But they all work best together.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
Charizard by far.

And for the love of god stop saying "No one is better then the others" because it's impossible for them to be even.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
It's a tough one, definitely, and more time will give us the answer, but I'd probably say Squirtle. Charizard has brutally powerful attacks and a great edgeguard in his FAir, and Ivysaur can combo into Bullet Seed and stay at a good range, but Squirtle's speed in the air is incredible. His FAir, BAir, and UAir are all almost instant, have great priority, and can be used to KO. That's the impression I get after three days, anyway.

Top Bottom