• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which is better? One, Two, Three, or Four Stocks?

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I usually play with no stocks.

Blue Warrior

Smash Apprentice
I've heard that the difference between two-stock and three-stock changes some matchups. For instance, ZSS's armor pieces take up more of the match time, and Trainer's stamina variable is less of a hindrance.

TF4U-Speed

Smash Rookie
This is how I view 1-4 stock matches, personally (no time limits);
One Stock - Accidents can end the game, no cushion for comebacks.
Two Stock - Even with an accident, or some mishap, you're still in the game. But, your opponent has a cushion that you do not. Each percentage of damage you take is something you can't afford to take, and something your opponent can.
Three Stock - Personally, it provides a balance. There's a nice cushion for a comeback should you die first, or if an accident happens. This doesn't give your opponent a terrible advantage, since you still have room to maneuver without losing immediately.
Four Stock - Same advantages like Three, but I feel this drags out games too long. This can also provide your opponent with a considerable lead should you take too much damage after your first death.

Overall, Three Stock provides a nice balance of speed, cushion for comeback, and less advantages for the leading opponent. This is my opinion, but I tend to play Three stock more than anything else.

D

Deleted member

(I'm ignoring tourney organization concerns for time, as some rulesets have that in mind more than I'd like them to)
I think 3 or 4 stock is some of the best for balance and most enjoyable to play . It might be my time away from Brawl, but it seems like certain match-ups do better with different stocks. Recovery in general is easier in Brawl than in Melee, but gimping works with some effort. I usually lean toward 4 stock for casual play, but 3 might be more for me in tourneys with tech like Ganon/Bowserciding...

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Generally I prefer 3 stocks, but because Brawl is slower (That's not a bad thing), I use 2 stocks 6 minutes.

Top Bottom