• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which hats are good to use?

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Whenever I played Kirby in Brawl or PM, I rarely copy the enemy's powers (though :ivysaur:'s copy power in PM was baller). Inhale has its place as an attack without copying powers. Whenever I did copy, I took three things into consideration:

1. Is the power any good?
2. Is the power going to do me any good against against the enemy I copied from?
3. Is the power to be a better tool than the Inhale?

#2 may not be as big of a deal in teams or free for all when I could copy X's power and use it against Y, but in the one on one setting, which powers are the best, based on what we know already? Also, when enemies have custom B moves, I assume Kirby just copies their vanilla move?

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
Pocket, Monado Arts, DHD's can, Paralyzer and Homing Attack can be quite useful, I think

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Honestly it should be pretty obvious which powers will be useful in a 1v1. Inhale's a nice move but it will always be highly punishable. If you can get a read and copy them, a lot of the powers are much safer and more useful. Projectiles in particular are the best way to cover Kirby's weaknesses.

I know I ruined a lot of Robins' days by using their power against them in For Glory today :)

EMPEROR Eevee

Smash Cadet
Here's a quick list of characters that I believe Kirby should inhale. IMO, the following characters Neutral-B can benefit Kirby if obtained.
Megaman

Pac-man - Charge B and get the key for an extra kill move

Shulk - Monado arts can help/hurt Kirby so use it wisely. Check out the Shulk forums to understand how his Neutral B works.

Robin - Yet again, another kill move for Kirby

ZZS

Duck Hunt Dog

Sheik

Palutena - Honestly, I constantly spam this. XD

Rosalina - I use this when i've knocked an opponent off stage, or if they have grabbed the ledge.

Now other character's neutral B's such as Pikachu, Mario, etc. can be useful. The list i put just consists of characters from my experience from online/offline play.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Bowser's seems decent for tacking on damage as he tries to approach or while one of you is landing. This probably isn't as strong against the faster Charizard, despite still being the same move I think.
Link's and Toon Link's are fairly similar in usage, though not quite as restricted by the opponent's movement speed.
Megaman's is only good because of a programing fail whereby the 1 blade limit isn't applied per character, meaning you basically remove his move if you use it right. Otherwise, I don't like it.
Shulk's is great but requires understanding on your part. I need to learn how this works.
Robin's has the questionable trait of limited use. This can work in your favour if you want Inhale back but can't get a free moment to taunt. It is, however, something you have to keep in mind as you play.
Pikachu, Mario and Luigi are always good choices. Doc, however, is a much better hat simply because something about the trajectory and Kirby's different height seems to give him the edge in projectile wars.
Game & Watch's has always been a personal favourite of mine, since it's both a heavily spammable projectile that hits through platforms (except Ferox's statues, sadly) and a close up get off me. It's just as good in this game and seems to work well against its owner still.
ZSS' seems like less of a traditional projectile and more of a tool to buy approach time. It's a great tool in the matchup but you need to get in before you can nab it. I highly recommend the v3 Inhale.
Duck Hunt Duo's is just an extra mindgame to play with them. Useful but, IMO, nothing amazing. Can be funny to use up close to hurt both plays though since it seems to come out real fast.
Meta Knight's leaves Kirby in freefall after use, making it potentially suicidal. I don't see any reason to ever use it over Jumping Inhale.
Dedede's I hear is good because it has much greater range than Kirby's own Inhale and nolonger restricts him to Dedede's sluggish full stomach speed when in use.
Bowser Jr.'s, while amusing, seems too slow and punishable to be of any use ever, I'm afraid.
Wii Fit Trainer's is similarly bad but atleast moves at a decent speed once fired.
Olimar's seems generally to be considered quite bad. I don't get why because it's two of his moves in one, making it faster than its owner's equivalent action, giving you a clear advantage in any ranged fight.
It's not quite the same scenario with Rosalina's Luma Shot but the projectile luma you spawn just ploughs straight through hers. Combine this with its high power and it can really wreck those who are expecting their puppet character to shield them.
Ness' is still as worthless as ever.
Little Mac's is way too signposted.

EMPEROR Eevee

Smash Cadet
idk if I'd like this one. I like the move, but Palutena can spam her side B and make your life annoying.
Then do the same to her. I don't really have trouble against her. Also, i forgot to mention this but, most definitely inhale Villager. You can basically pocket all his moves if you have is neutral B. It make the match both easier and funny.

Last edited:

WootSnorlax

Smash Apprentice
It might just be me, but does anyone else hold off on using inhale to get a copy? I know it could be good for some matchups but it is always almost a risk due to this version of inhale's long startup and ending lag. Unless I know I could get an inhale, and also if it would help the matchup a lot (ie villager's pocket, shulk's monado) I just end up not trying to focus on getting hats.

Dbash

Smash Cadet
In my opinion, here's the top five copy abilities:

1. Shulk's Monado Arts
2. Villager's Pocket
3. Duck Hunt's Can
4. Dr. Mario's Megavitamins (Much better over Mario/Luigi's)
5. Pac-Man (More specifically his key)

Top Bottom