• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which fonts are used in melee?

flwns

Smash Cadet
I've been trying to identify the fonts in melee. But, have been unsuccessful.

I'm mainly interested in finding this font.

and the font used for multi man melee

If someone could help me identify the fonts, I would appreciate it.

Though, I think it would be cool to have a list of all the fonts used in the game.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
I'd like to know about the font used for the logo and percentage.

Last edited:

flwns

Smash Cadet
The logo is Times New Roman.

Closest I found was this. I don't think it's identical, but it's quite close.
Thanks for looking into this Dan. You're right, that font is not identical, specifically i know the upper Y, 4, and upper G are different in the melee font.

here is an example of some of the slight differences

Do you think there is a way to determine the font names from somewhere within melee's files?

Last edited:

CeLL

Smash Lord
You can always just take all the letters from the textures and make vectors out of them and then actually make a font.

flwns

Smash Cadet
How would you go about finding, and then extracting the letter textures into something manipulable?

Last edited:

flwns

Smash Cadet
I just started trying to dump the textures for upper and lower case english,

I figured trying to load the textures by using the name entry screen would be good. But when i do so, i don't get any of the individual textures for each letter. I just get dumps of other textures.

I also tried 20XX lowercase letter entry with Z+A, but i dont get dumps of anything that is entered into the field.

Do you guys know of a surefire way i could make the entire alphanumeric set for upper and lower to load and dump?

edit: I was able to get a good amount of symbols, but not all

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
I made a bunch of section headers to emulate the game's main menus here. The font I used (which was the best match I could find) is called "Arimo", set bold and italic. If you compare side-by-side, it's really close to what's in the game. I've downloaded fonts in the past, but I'm pretty sure this was a system native font (running Win7, x64).

Also, there are a few sites you should be able to find online that can take a reference image and return the closest matching font it knows of.

Last edited:

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
I just started trying to dump the textures for upper and lower case english,

I figured trying to load the textures by using the name entry screen would be good. But when i do so, i don't get any of the individual textures for each letter. I just get dumps of other textures.

I also tried 20XX lowercase letter entry with Z+A, but i dont get dumps of anything that is entered into the field.

Do you guys know of a surefire way i could make the entire alphanumeric set for upper and lower to load and dump?

edit: I was able to get a good amount of symbols, but not all

I'm not sure how to get a full dump, but when you do, we could probably just make that into a font.
Maybe we could use something like http://www.myscriptfont.com/

Last edited:

flwns

Smash Cadet
thanks for the responses

I was able to get a complete the alphanumeric set of English letters, some miscellaneous characters are missing. My method of obtaining the textures was making name tags containing the characters i needed and applying them on the character select screen. Then I would dig around in the dump folder with everything ctrl+A'd (so i could read the letters better) until i found what i was looking for. It helps to clear the dump folder before you start loading name tags.

Here is a download to a zip containing the textures, named and organized
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9153070/Melee name entry font EN.zip

(For the what i needed the font for, these textures were enough, I didnt have to actually create a font. I simply positioned them in after effects as if the letters were typed. If you're interested here is what i used the font for.)

Last edited:

SpectreProXy

Smash Rookie
May I request that this be used to create a finished font file? I think that would be useful for a lot of people here, including myself.

Tiberious

Smash Journeyman
The notice font has been identified. You'll find it in this zip file. (A-OTF-FolkPro B/H/M/R)

The date and time seems to be some kind of goofy condensed version rendered to texture. I couldn't replicate the characters exactly using just the type tool in Photoshop.

Last edited by a moderator:

TFS | Zeb

Smash Rookie
The notice font has been identified. You'll find it in this zip file.

The date and time seems to be some kind of goofy condensed version rendered to texture. I couldn't replicate the characters exactly using just the type tool in Photoshop.
Is that the same font as used in the menu (Ex. 1-P Mode, VS. Mode, etc.)? I over laid them and they don't look quite the same, but they are quite similar. I'm using the Melee menu as a stream overlay and am trying to find a replacement font for the menu text.

Last edited:

Tiberious

Smash Journeyman
Get me well-sized (i.e. fairly large), clear images of the main menu, and I'll look into it.

DRGN

Technowizard
Is that the same font as used in the menu (Ex. 1-P Mode, VS. Mode, etc.)? I over laid them and they don't look quite the same, but they are quite similar. I'm using the Melee menu as a stream overlay and am trying to find a replacement font for the menu text.
What font are you using now?
What about the font I posted about above, "Arimo"? When you set it to bold and italic it's really close to the main menu text. (samples are linked to in my last post)
Or we could make a new font using the game's textures like Myougi suggested.

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
I know this is an old thread but does anyone know what font is used for the CSS images?

It doesn't appear to be the same as the main menu font.

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
Pretty much all the letters for those could be taken out nicely using selection tools, I did it in this video in case you don't find a suitable font.

Sorry for the bad commentary in there, was around 2-4 am at night i think.

UnclePunch

Smash Ace
Pretty much all the letters for those could be taken out nicely using selection tools, I did it in this video in case you don't find a suitable font.

Sorry for the bad commentary in there, was around 2-4 am at night i think.
Do you happen to have the .png's of each letter? Maybe it could be vectored into a font.

I kind of found a way around it anyway, I'm working on upscaling the original CSS icons but I vectored the original image and it seemed to work out alright.

----------->

Acryte

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure I've actually seen the answer to this question in the boards before and I used to have it installed in my old operating system... That said, I was actually looking for it again but no luck so far... The answer is out there amigos. Can't remember if it was that or the Challenger approaching text... Might be the same idk haven't compared them. Anyways I've seen it linked on the boards before.

Last edited:

Gehis514

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4004 9260 8249
Palatino Linotype for the top, A-OTF Folk Pro (H) for the bottom and this font is linked above. Not sure if you use Photoshop, but here is TextPreview_0.psd
Is there a template or a decent way to replicate your way of creating the stage select screen font? Might be making my own stage names. I use GIMP and have the right fonts btw

DRGN

Technowizard
Is there a template or a decent way to replicate your way of creating the stage select screen font? Might be making my own stage names. I use GIMP and have the right fonts btw
Yeah. The .psd file he uploaded is a Photoshop project file, but GIMP recognizes those too. So just open that up, and edit the text or make new layers with the respective font.

Top Bottom