• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which Final Smash do you prefer? Old or New?

Which Final Smash do you prefer?

• Total voters

Imposer

Smash Rookie
I liked Lucario when he was first introduced in Brawl but I'm really liking him and his aura changes in SSB4. After using his new final smash in the last couple matches I thought about his old one. The laser was really cool and fun but with the aura changes the Mega Evolution is pretty great as well. Do you enjoy the new one or do you wish the old one was back?

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I actually don't like either very much. Giant lasers and stat buffs are too played out as Final Smash types. I like Aura Storm a bit more for gameplay purposes, but Mega Lucario is a better representation of the character. Personally, I'd rather have Lucario's Final Smash be Focus Blast or Close Combat, or something like that.

Imposer

Smash Rookie
I actually don't like either very much. Giant lasers and stat buffs are too played out as Final Smash types. I like Aura Storm a bit more for gameplay purposes, but Mega Lucario is a better representation of the character. Personally, I'd rather have Lucario's Final Smash be Focus Blast or Close Combat, or something like that.
Alright, I see what your saying. How would you have those work? Would they be similar to some other smashes like Link's or something different.

Morbi

Scavenger
Honestly, I prefer his old Final Smash. I would have enjoyed seeing Mega Lucario as a transformation that occurs once you obtain Max Aura (or close) yourself. It is not a bad Final Smash, it is obviously a buff, but it is not as appealing to me personally.

Imposer

Smash Rookie
There was certainly something enjoyable about jumping in the air and blasting your friends from above. Seeing Mega Lucario as an Aura transformation is a very interesting idea.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Alright, I see what your saying. How would you have those work? Would they be similar to some other smashes like Link's or something different.
Close Combat, I imagine, would probably be similar to Link's, although I'd probably take some elements from DK's and have timed button presses increase the damage output. Focus Blast would probably be a slow, powerful, energy blast similar to PK Flash, with a massive area of effect. I just think doing something like those ideas would be a little bit more fitting for the character and/or unique than a giant laser or another stat buff. I don't like stat buff Final Smashes. They're easily my least favorite kind.

Imposer

Smash Rookie
Close Combat, I imagine, would probably be similar to Link's, although I'd probably take some elements from DK's and have timed button presses increase the damage output. Focus Blast would probably be a slow, powerful, energy blast similar to PK Flash, with a massive area of effect. I just think doing something like those ideas would be a little bit more fitting for the character and/or unique than a giant laser or another stat buff. I don't like stat buff Final Smashes. They're easily my least favorite kind.
Okay, I like the idea of a timed button pressing smash for close combat, that would be really cool to see. The Focus Blast sounds interesting too. I can see how the stat buff final smashes may not be appealing. I'm not sure what type of final smash I would say was my least favourite. Maybe straight across the stage ones like Zelda's arrow. I like using them but they sure are annoying when you miss by the smallest amount. I don't know though, they are still pretty good.

Svenshinhan

Smash Cadet
I prefer his new one. Aura Storm was really cool visually, but the beam was so damn slow that pretty much every character is able to easily move out of the way. In Free For Alls I got a few lucky kills, sure. But most of my friends were able to avoid it completely, especially since they mained Kirby and Dedede, who could just outhover the beam even if I started in the right direction.

We'll have to see how good it is once we all move on to the Wii U version (none of said friends have a 3DS), but I'm guessing it'll be a stronger weapon overall. For aesthetic purposes, I love the mega transformation. I would love to be able to fight in that form longer, even if it was purely cosmetic, heh.

Pentao

Smash Apprentice
Mega Lucario is way better than Aura Storm. Aura Storm has the unfortunate property of being absurdly easy to dodge in Brawl, unless you're like, Ganondorf.

Mega Lucario on the other hand is all dependent on you, and you hit like a cruise liner. Not to mention you're harder to flinch as well (super armor I think?), you can actually take multiple stocks off of someone if you can apply enough pressure.

Gune

Smash Lord
Visually Aura storm easily, It just looked really cool seeing Lucario yell "WATCH THE POWER OF AURA" and fly up to the top of the stage and release a beam of pure aura energy from his paws it's quite literally one of the coolest thing i've seen lucario do, kinda wish it stayed and i really wish it was stronger.

Functionally Mega Evolution, This thing has so much power it makes ganondorf jealous, even though this isnt a final smash i would have in mind seeing as its kinda overdone and something a little different or maybe even keeping his old one and buffing it would have been nice but the sheer power of this FS is more than enough for me to get over it and KO'ing people at 30% is just crazy.

Turbopasta

Smash Rookie
I don't see how this is even a contest: Mega Lucario. Aura Storm looks cool and it embodies that "ultimate power" feeling, but it's so predictable and boring once you've seen it multiple times. It also has very questionable kill potential.

Mega Lucario is fantastic. I think it might be my favorite Smash power in the whole game. It's an instant ego boost. On the surface it doesn't look like much has changed, but you can just obliterate people now. It allows for much more creative kills and gameplay decisions since there is a chance it might go to waste if YOU aren't good enough.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
New one by a long shot because half the cast can't just jump to dodge it or roll through it.

At least with MegaLucario I can force confrontation.

Aenglaan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aenglaan
3DS FC
0559-8074-9911
I prefer him Mega Evolving. It makes one of the coolest and best characters in the game even cooler and more amazing.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Technically neither but i'd take the SSB4 one over Brawl any day.

Brawl wasnt even that powerful and it was crazy hard to hit people with, since it started dead center of the stage and hardly moved.
SSb4 is just super saiyan mode. Several characters do that.
Then again i dont like the smashes in general, since some are INSANE autowin powerful and others are just....wut...lol

Mewtario

Smash Ace
To me, the original was just strange in terms of where on Earth they got the inspiration for it from, other than the obvious and pervasive Dragon Ball Z references that composed the Brawl iteration of Lucario.

I prefer the new one because at least it has an obvious derivation from the character's source material!

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I'm saying New & Improved, ya dig?:shades:
*cough*
Aura Storm is cool, it still is, though MegaLucario as the new Final Smash appeals to me more. Transform-then-destroy looks to be a common thing for Final Smashes, but I'm not complaining. Except that Lucario doesn't say "Watch the power of Aura! *then yells*"

1DeadRabbit

...I mean jackal.
3DS FC
1864-9519-0771
Aura Storm as a concept always seemed kind of silly to me.
Aura Storm as a final smash is practically useless.

Aside from being stupidly avoidable, it was also subjected to Lucario's Aura mechanic. So even if it somehow managed to hit people, it wouldn't K.O. unless Lucario was at high damage.

Let's just say I'm glad the Mega Evolution bypasses that whole aura business.
Because a Lucario at max damage is a scary, scary thing.

Top Bottom