• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Which Controller?!

Meizuba

Smash Rookie
I am going to be picking up the game in a few hours and am having some huge anxiety surrounding the controller options. My two buddies and I have been playing since N64 and are avid fans. I have a few more friends that aren't as dedicated to the cause and therefore do not want to spend money.

I am stuck between the Wii U Pro Controller and the GameCube. Both have pros and cone in my opinion, I will list them and want to desperately hear any feedback. I will list "pros" in green and "cons" in red:

Wii U Pro Controller
New (buttons and joysticks perfectly responsive)
Wireless
Diamond configuration for buttons

Unknown how shoulder buttons will work / feel for blocking and rolling
Expensive for [4] new controllers

Unknown as to the new "industry standard" for players in tournaments, etc.

GameCube

Cables running everywhere (especially for 8 player)
Unknown as to [2] GameCube adapters working (for 8 player)

Tried-and-True, I know exactly how it works and feels
Unknown as to the new "industry standard" for players in tournaments, etc.

I essentially want to upgrade to the Wii U Pro, but I am concerned I am leaving something that works for something that isn't better. I'm not sure if I'll even like the Pro Controller. More importantly, I like change. I don't want to be the person who holds onto the GameCube controller because it is safe and I know how to use it. I feel like evolving and adapting to something new actually strengthens my ability as a player.

I do not want to make the switch if it is objectively a bad choice. Also, if I am the only person using the Pro Controllers while EVERYBODY else on the planet is using GameCube, I feel like it will just be more difficult adapting / transitioning at tourneys and such.

ANY feedback is much appreciated. Also, apologies if this thread has already been created. I searched and couldn't find anything.

deakolt

Smash Rookie
NNID
deakolt
3DS FC
1779-2030-4940
gamecube controller will be the standard - not sure how wii u pro controller's c-stick action will work. may be that it's the exact same as GC controller, in which case it'll be mostly a matter of preference -

if the wii u controller doesn't have c-stick support, GC controller will be far superior.

A majority of dedicated smashers will be using GC controller.

1MachGO

Smash Ace
I don't understand how wireless is a pro. You'd potentially have syncing problems, battery problems (though the pro has a good battery time), input delays/interference, etc. I don't see how "wires everywhere" is a problem with gc outside of 6 plus players.

Gc will likely be standard in tournament since competitive smashers have been using it for 12+ years and syncing isn't an issue

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Pro Controller is imo the best Wii U controller.

Nothing against the GC one, but the buttons layout is too weird compared to other controllers I am used to (360 controller and Dual Shock 3).

elmike

Smash Apprentice
i have a similar question:

Is the new gamecube controller (the one desgined for this smash), EXACTLY the same as the old gamecube controller?

I mean, i know it looks the same. But does it feels the same at the time of pressing buttons and doing actions?
I have 2 GC controllers that work very good, but i dont know if will be better with a new one....

BTW, the gamepad feels way better than i thought it would.

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
i dont have an adapter yet, will be getting one later today. But as for my experience so far, I'm extremely impressed with how the wii u pro controller feels. The c stick works just like a gamecube one would, and the buttons are in the diamond layout so it made transitioning from the 3DS controls really easy.

That being said, I still am looking forward to playing with the GC controller as it's what I've been playing the smash series with for my entire life. Also, the shoulder buttons on the pro controller are a bit weird for shielding though, and aren't able to be pressed down half way. So if light shielding still exists in smash 4 (which i'm not actually sure about) then the GC controller will be the better option. Will be testing that later today when I get the adapter.

I think it might turn out to be a matter of preference between these two controllers. People who have been smashing for many years will probably prefer the GC controller, but players new to the series might prefer the pro controller as it is very similar to other controllers for other consoles (xbox 360 controller).

ArchMageDiablo

Smash Cadet
Honestly after playing the 3DS for so long I was presently suprised how good the Wii u gamepad is for me. I imagine the pro controller would be better though, seeing as how its the same buttons without the feeling that your holding a steering wheel. I think the clickly L&R buttons would be nice for smashing.

My friends all prefer GC remotes so I bought the adapter, I prefered a wiimote + nunchuk for brawl personally as I'm not a c-stick user. I've also heard this game has some c-stick issues that are very different from melee/brawl.

All in all my recomendation; get the GC adapter and one pro controller, if you like the pro controller more you can always buy more, and if you already have GC remotes it wont cost you more than to $20 the adapter costs, but you know, it's hard to resist that brand new GC remote with the smash logo on it.

SSBIx3M

Smash Apprentice
All in all my recomendation; get the GC adapter and one pro controller, if you like the pro controller more you can always buy more, and if you already have GC remotes it wont cost you more than to $20 the adapter costs, but you know, it's hard to resist that brand new GC remote with the smash logo on it.
How much is the Game+Adapter bundle in the US? Or is this bundle exclusive to Europe?
The prices are so weird in Germany. So if I buy the Game+Adapter bundle, the adapter would only cost me 5€ instead of 20€.
Game 60€
Bundle 65€
Adapter(standalone) 20€

I'm going to use the Pro Controller. It's wireless and I'm used to its layout. But the adapter.. Only 5€.. why not?
(I have GC Controllers btw. :p)

Anyway. Like as ArchMageDiablo said in the quote. You can't do anything wrong. ^^

the8thark

Smash Lord
How much is the Game+Adapter bundle in the US? Or is this bundle exclusive to Europe?
The prices are so weird in Germany. So if I buy the Game+Adapter bundle, the adapter would only cost me 5€ instead of 20€.
Game 60€
Bundle 65€
Adapter(standalone) 20€

I'm going to use the Pro Controller. It's wireless and I'm used to its layout. But the adapter.. Only 5€.. why not?
(I have GC Controllers btw. :p)

Anyway. Like as ArchMageDiablo said in the quote. You can't do anything wrong. ^^
No different to Australia. The solo adapter is $20 I believe but it's only $10 if you get it with the game combo.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Love my Pro Controller! I much prefer the button layout to the GC (I can Jump and Special at the same time). The controller feels really nice to me.

The only thing I'm worried about is wireless issues and/or battery, but I used the Classic Controller for Brawl and rarely had problems. And that took crappy AA's. The Pro Controller can be plugged into the console via USB if you're worried about battery issues.

SSBIx3M

Smash Apprentice
No different to Australia. The solo adapter is $20 I believe but it's only $10 if you get it with the game combo.
Interesting. I actually expected the pricing would be like this here too.
Well. I guess it's a compromise that games are so expensive here. lol :)

the8thark

Smash Lord
Interesting. I actually expected the pricing would be like this here too.
Well. I guess it's a compromise that games are so expensive here. lol :)
Yep. The game here is $80. $90 if you get the game + adapter combo like I did.

Hartenberg

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hartenberg
3DS FC
1220-8573-2488
Having to buy the Wii u + Smash made me super broke, so I couldn't get the GC controller. But the GamePad actually feels pretty nice. It's works a lot better than I thought it would. It takes a little to get used to, but once do, it's pretty seamless.

Greatest thing about using the gamepad though? I got tired last night, but I wanted to keep playing, so I layed down in my bed, and played from there using the gamepad screen. It was pretty awesome.

ArchMageDiablo

Smash Cadet
Lol I'm lucky enough to have a good job, but I feel guilty with christmas around the corner for spending so much money on myself. $300 Wii U + $60 Hyrule Warriors + $100 Smash Bundle + $40 Pokemon + $12 Amiibo + $25 Fight Pad (Dont buy it, horid trigggers) I've given nintendo $538 in the past 2 weeks.

Utaro

Smash Rookie
NNID
Its_a_me_Mario
3DS FC
2423-2518-7011
I been switching from pro controller to GC controller. The pro controller button layout is very similar to the 3ds, so I am use to that. It feels great in your hands, plus a 80 hour battery life? I won't be worried about it running out. Also, it is one of the few wireless controllers that doesn't have any button lag from what people are saying.

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
i can now confirm that light shielding isn't possible in this game even with a gamecube controller. So I feel like the decision between GC controller and wii u pro controller is probably going to come down to preference. I suspect a lot of people will like the pro controller because the button layout is similar to the 3DS which we have been playing for over a month now.

I still like the GC one better tho ;)

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I been switching from pro controller to GC controller. The pro controller button layout is very similar to the 3ds, so I am use to that. It feels great in your hands, plus a 80 hour battery life? I won't be worried about it running out. Also, it is one of the few wireless controllers that doesn't have any button lag from what people are saying.
Don't you mean switching from the GC controller to the Pro controller?

Meizuba

Smash Rookie
Lots of great information and discussion! Thanks for all the input everybody!

It has been 15 months since my post and I could not be happier with the Pro Controller. I am not looking into tourneys. I have heard people say that GC controllers are the only controllers permitted in some tournaments. After looking and looking I cannot find a single tournament that specifically say that is the case. I would love to use my Pro Controller.

Anybody have any experience with either direction?

Top Bottom