• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which characters do you feel sorry for when you face them 1v1?

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
I'm a DK main and when I ever enter for glory or face off against ppl in friendlies I hate facing off against Lucina, Marth, and Ike the most, because they have absolutely no chance of ever winning. Lucina and marth are just bad, and Ike's horizontal recovery against DK never works, guaranteeing death. Ever since I started playing in late December I always knew marth and Lucina were the lowest tier with Ike also being low tier, and I'm playing a mid to low tier character in DK so it was just obvious. I mean I respect their willingness to choose playing those characters and try to make them usable,
and I did find some great Marths from time to time, but the odds are stacked against them so much that I can't help but feel sorry for them and wish they would leave so I don't destroy their confidence.
Edit: actually shulk is above even those characters, i rediscovered. My baby brother plays him and he knows how to use him against me, but many ppl on FG, including many good to great shulks, simply do not know how to use his counter,which is his most powerful move by far. Shulk is such a cool character and that along with a combination of it being my baby bros character makes me want to actually teach the shulks how to face me, I actually have tags that tell them to use counter, use it in the air, etc, and to "trust me", no kidding.

How about you guys? I'm sure some of you zss players feel sorry for Dk players? Don't forget to mention who you play as if it's applicable.

Last edited:

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
No one. I don't find it too respectful to feel sorry for your opponent for any reason.:131:

Link24242

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4184-3214-6215
You took the words right out of my mouth. I am a ZSS player and I feel really bad when I get paired against a DK player online, because the matchup is completely stacked against them.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
You took the words right out of my mouth. I am a ZSS player and I feel really bad when I get paired against a DK player online, because the matchup is completely stacked against them.
I feel the difference however is that zss is known to be a top 5 or 6 character, even before any tier lists came out. So being a Dk main I don't mind losing to zss and just use it a motivation to get better. But having no chance vs Dk as marth Lucina or Ike? That's gotta suck.

Last edited:

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
Forgot to mention: I also feel sorry for Shulks, but they do in fact have a chance vs Dk, they simply need to use their counter more often.

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
I'm a Pika main, so I feel really sorry for D3... It's like, he doesn't touch me unless I chose to trade, or decide to just go in for the heck of it. So one-sided.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
When I play :4pikachu: (tied for my best with :4tlink:), slow characters such as :4ganondorf: and :4myfriends: are easy prey. All the power in the world won't help you if you can't land a hit.

And when I play :4tlink: if I am up against someone with poor approaching tools like :4dk: it is a miserable uphill battle for them.

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Who do you play as, and why? I really hope you don't say "because he got nerfed so badly from brawl".
I tried playing some of him, but ultimately didn't stay with him for two reasons: low damage and poor reach. Even if you whack an opponent around a bunch, you don't seem to accumulate a lot of damage. It's a little disheartening. Not to mention all his specials put him into special fall and one lil' mistake and you're done like dinner.

Jeronado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jeronado
3DS FC
0920-1020-8081
I don't feel sorry for anyone. It's their choice to choose the character and honestly I'm good enough at this game that someone with better fundamentals than me couldn't beat me with a bad character.

Little Mac's a pretty bad character in my opinion and yet I still remember facing one really good Little Mac player that whooped by butt every match.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
I don't feel sorry for anyone. It's their choice to choose the character and honestly I'm good enough at this game that someone with better fundamentals than me couldn't beat me with a bad character.

Little Mac's a pretty bad character in my opinion and yet I still remember facing one really good Little Mac player that whooped by butt every match.
You can't enjoy beating a character that has no chance vs you, can you? And if you can't enjoy it one could disrespect the enemy by leaving after trouncing them in a few games, or stay and give them a chance to win, but of course they won't win. So you end up feeling sorry for them. I feel bad the moment I see I'm facing Lucina, and if the match is as one sided as I think it will be I really hope that they change characters or leave.

Little Mac even with his bad recovery is still mid to low tier, still better than marth/Lucina/Ike.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
It's always a sad day for the Dong on FG.
There are a lot of Dk players that don't know how to approach using his back kicks, and so I can see why you have this view. But if you ever face a great Dk, you will have to be careful unless you're a pretty good zss.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
There are a lot of Dk players that don't know how to approach using his back kicks, and so I can see why you have this view. But if you ever face a great Dk, you will have to be careful unless you're a pretty good zss.
Pretty much this. A DK who knows what they are doing is a beast.

D

Deleted member 269706

There's no character that I truly feel bad for, I've won against every character, and I've lost against (almost, if not every) character at one point or another. I suppose one character I do feel a small amount of sympathy for is Kirby players when I play as Ike. Ike's eruption is able to break Kirby out of his stone, and the knockback is generally so strong that it will KO him if he's at ~50% or more. Without them knowing that, I do hold a particular advantage.

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
I feel sorry for Little Mac when I play as Wii Fit Trainer. I can just Sun Salutation and Header spam offstage and they can't even touch me without risking their life.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
Status update: I actually feel sorry for Sheik now, whenever I'm playing as Sonic. There was this one guy named "Tox" who used Sheik. I beat 'em for upwards of ten battles because he barely touched me.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
Status update: I actually feel sorry for Sheik now, whenever I'm playing as Sonic. There was this one guy named "Tox" who used Sheik. I beat 'em for upwards of ten battles because he barely touched me.
Lol so you feel sorry for one of the top 2 characters in the game. Man, you are really on a roll here.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
Samus(but not FG ones, they are hopeless idiots), Greninja(those nerfs, it's so sad ;^; )

Last edited:

Matoi Knight

Smash Apprentice
NNID
katarina-hatsune
3DS FC
5215-0514-7118
Lucina and Female!Robin.

I can't bring myself to hurt them at all because they're my mains and (someone's probably going to shoot me for saying this) my waifus. It's not a case of being bad characters, it's more of a case of emotional attachment.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
wow this is a really informative post and topic.
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not but yes it does tell us about matchups and potentially deeper stuff wrt us as players.

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
I tried playing some of him, but ultimately didn't stay with him for two reasons: low damage and poor reach. Even if you whack an opponent around a bunch, you don't seem to accumulate a lot of damage. It's a little disheartening. Not to mention all his specials put him into special fall and one lil' mistake and you're done like dinner.
That was still the case in Brawl though, and he's still at the very top of the tier list for that game.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
That was still the case in Brawl though, and he's still at the very top of the tier list for that game.
Never touched him in Brawl, wouldn't know.
I'm just thinking that down and neutral specials shouldn't have those properties.

Either way, his slashes seem to cover less ground than they look like.

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
I don't feel bad for any specific character, just when I come up against someone really, really terrible. Like, matches that I end within 30 seconds. I just kinda feel like a jerk for completely murdering people, but I do it anyway. I mean, what am I supposed to do, lose on purpose?

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
As a Rosalina main myself, I do tend to feel bad for Mega Man, Link, Ike and Lucina because they are also my mains.

And whenever I end up fighting against a Rosalina when I play as someone else, I would become hesitant to do anything especially when I play as Little Mac. As soon as the K.O. Meter fills up, I would just immediately get rid of the K.O. Uppercut because I don't like using it against her nor my other mains.

Last edited:

Valkauv

Smash Rookie
Any heavy character with a huge hitbox, pretty much.
Shulk can juggle them so easily if the player knows what they're doing.
Main ones here are D3, Bowser and the dong.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
I used to feel bad for jiggs until I fought a good one. The fight was fun, and I got to see what Jiggs is truly made off. Now I'm just disappointed when I fight a Jiggs and it isn't a good one. :ohwell:

BZero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
brand23
I've learned to NEVER pick Little Mac against Jiggs from experience, especially if they're good. Even though he's one of my mains, it's a bad idea to use him against Jiggs.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
Warning Received
I personally love facing off against jigs with Dk, because that's the only character in the game that loves to approach from the air 24/7. And I don't mind spending my time in the air just doing back kicks all day long.

I don't feel bad for any specific character, just when I come up against someone really, really terrible. Like, matches that I end within 30 seconds. I just kinda feel like a jerk for completely murdering people, but I do it anyway. I mean, what am I supposed to do, lose on purpose?
Admittedly I feel bad about this too, even if they are using strong characters. But with some characters the outcome is pretty much 95% confirmed from the outset, when you know it isn't going to be pretty.

Last edited by a moderator:

FEMARTH

Smash Rookie
NNID
Vintage
Warning Received
I'm a DK main and when I ever enter for glory or face off against ppl in friendlies I hate facing off against Lucina, Marth, and Ike the most, because they have absolutely no chance of ever winning. Lucina and marth are just bad, and Ike's horizontal recovery against DK never works, guaranteeing death. Ever since I started playing in late December I always knew marth and Lucina were the lowest tier with Ike also being low tier, and I'm playing a mid to low tier character in DK so it was just obvious. I mean I respect their willingness to choose playing those characters and try to make them usable,
and I did find some great Marths from time to time, but the odds are stacked against them so much that I can't help but feel sorry for them and wish they would leave so I don't destroy their confidence.
Edit: actually shulk is above even those characters, i rediscovered. My baby brother plays him and he knows how to use him against me, but many ppl on FG, including many good to great shulks, simply do not know how to use his counter,which is his most powerful move by far. Shulk is such a cool character and that along with a combination of it being my baby bros character makes me want to actually teach the shulks how to face me, I actually have tags that tell them to use counter, use it in the air, etc, and to "trust me", no kidding.

How about you guys? I'm sure some of you zss players feel sorry for Dk players? Don't forget to mention who you play as if it's applicable.
lol interesting, im a :4marth:Main myself. Always fun to hear what others think :D

The Perspective of a Solid :4marth:Main

I feel sorry for myself when ever i face off against any other character that not :4marth::4lucina: :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Tyketto

Smash Cadet
Can't really say I look down on any of the characters I get matched up with. I've fought terrible Diddys and Sheiks and I've fought well-played Charizards and G&Ws. I'll echo what someone else said - I only really feel bad about it when the player is obviously just not that good at the game, regardless of who they pick. I try to end the match quickly and move on to someone else.

Top Bottom