• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which Characters are Beginner-Friendly?

spacefish3

Smash Rookie
NNID
spacefish3
I have never played Smash 64, but I want to try it now that the Smash 4 weekly I go to has it. Which characters are beginner-friendly? (I do not care about tiers.)

Technical_Knockout

Smash Apprentice
mario & kirby are probably the most beginner-friendly, and they both also happen to be very good characters.

Last edited:

Sangoku

Smash Master
Hi, welcome to the Smash 64 forum :)

This question is a bit subjective as it depends on playstyle and a lot of other factors. Also we will mostly give you insight of competitive players, which might not always be in alignment with casual play. For example you will hear Kirby and Falcon a lot, but while I believe Kirby is easy at every level of play, Falcon is mostly easy to pick up because of his easy combos. And casual play often does not involve combos at all. (The definition of combo here is hitting before the previous move's hitstun has worn off, or to make it simple to avoid resetting the combo meter in training mode). I also believe Fox is a very difficult char to begin with, however players who have experience with Melee tend to like him. All this to say it really depends on many factor, and especially your own level, so it's hard for us to give you a definite answer.

That said Kirby is probably the overall best choice. If you're interested, a thread on that subject had been made and maybe you will find some posts useful.

Don't hesitate if you have any further questions.

Kirbstomper

Smash Apprentice
Dude just back throw and throw punches with the donkey and you'll beat 80% of the players on this forum

Sedda

Smash Champion
try out different characters. they will all teach you different things about the game and it's really the only way to find what you'll like.

welcome to the cool kids club

Olikus

Smash Champion
kirbys rock and Fsmash will do wonders in the start. later you will learn utilt and never look back as you rise to the tempel of smash knowledge.

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
Idk why people are suggesting Falcon as "beginner friendly". He's certainly an easy character to play at a higher level because of his stock combos but if you're actually a beginner then even simple combos are going to be very difficult to learn. What you really want is an attrition character who can win without having to make the most of a single grab or aerial. Mario and Kirby are good suggestions because of this, as is Samus in my opinion.

Of course if you're good at other smash games and just a beginner in terms of 64 then Falcon is a great choice. Just wanted to be clear on that

The Star King

Smash Hero
Even for beginners Falcon combos are not hard to learn, I've seen very new players pick up uair uair uair garbage. A lot of beginners do decently with Falcon for a reason. You can get away with a simplistic approach to neutral with Falcon a lot of the time too.

If you aren't comfortable with z-canceling and short hopping yet though probably Kirby

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
Idk why people are suggesting Falcon as "beginner friendly". He's certainly an easy character to play at a higher level because of his stock combos but if you're actually a beginner then even simple combos are going to be very difficult to learn. What you really want is an attrition character who can win without having to make the most of a single grab or aerial. Mario and Kirby are good suggestions because of this, as is Samus in my opinion.

Of course if you're good at other smash games and just a beginner in terms of 64 then Falcon is a great choice. Just wanted to be clear on that
In a way I can agree. Falcon doesn't have anything that kills really easily and a noob is going to spam smashes. But I think if you're posting on smashboards and you're looking to get into the game with familiarity of smash, falcon and kirby will not be a problem to learn and do well. For a random 8 year old who has never seen a stream or played the game then falcon and kirby won't make sense to them on what to do and maybe mario is a good choice because you can button mash with him and beat any other 8 year old who has never seen a stream or played the game. Anyone knowledgeable of competitive smash and interested in getting into it and looking to be good is well above that level of noob most people forget exists and so falcon and kirby are where someone should start.

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
You guys are both right and I think we're all saying the same thing: at a certain level of skill (which can be considered "beginner") Falcon is a great character to learn because of his easy combos.

However, I've met a lot of casual players who are great at winning but have developed a lot of bad habits that prevent them from picking up falcon quickly. For example, uairing without jumping is hard if you only utilt by buffering from an upsmash. Falcon is a great beginner character if you're willing to put in a bit of work but many casual players aren't willing to practice. Though shears makes a good point that if you're on smashboards you're probably willing to put in some effort.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
Even for beginners Falcon combos are not hard to learn, I've seen very new players pick up uair uair uair garbage. A lot of beginners do decently with Falcon for a reason. You can get away with a simplistic approach to neutral with Falcon a lot of the time too.

If you aren't comfortable with z-canceling and short hopping yet though probably Kirby
Well we can't ALL have natural talent like these beginners you speak of sir. I remember not being able to pull off upair combos with falcon when i first learned about competitive smash and that was after i had been casual for awhile

Shears

Smash Master
the easiest are definitely pika, kirby, and falcon.
They're also coincidentally the top 3 on the tier list...Maybe there isn't a tier list and people just think those 3 are better because they're easier to use and develop to a competitive level. They only appear to be better because they were the first ones developed.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
Depends on how you play, Samus could end up being your easiest character to use. It's on the person but generally Kirby is easier in all aspects while Pika and Falcon are easy to follow up with.

Yoshi, Jigglypuff, Luigi, all pretty easy characters to be somewhat good with when you suck. Any characters that you can figure out how to pull off kills with is the best for you to use.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
Also Mario is extremely easy to use once you're just good, but once you're good all the characters should be easy lol.

Top Bottom