• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which character would complement Pit the most? A Pit secondary discussion topic

Starwave

Smash Cadet
Ok so I was checking over Pits matchups and focused on 6 bad matchups in particular. Which single character would benefit Pit the most as a secondary?

-MK / Wario (-2)
-Snake / Marth / Ice Climbers / Game n Watch (-1)

As a side note, every single one of his bad matchups are against relevant characters. Fortunately, Pit has very bad matchups and everything else is good or even. Therefore, finding a character that can cover them all shouldn't be too hard... right? Naturally I crossed examined Pits disadvantages with the rest of the cast and found several candidates. Characters with a good matchup against MK and Wario were favored.

Metaknight is the single best partner to Pit, that should be obvious seeing as how most of his matchups are lopsided. He has an advantage against every single character that beats Pit.
Falco was the second best possible partner to Pit. He goes even with MK (which is an incredible feet from what i've seen) Snake, Marth G&W and Wario. However, as luck would have it, his matchup against Ice Climbers is awful. Fortunately, I don't think a -1 against ICs is a big deal (unless the matchup is worse in reality) To his credit though, Falco is a more unique secondary option.

So thats all I have so far. So yeah this is basically a hybrid Pit secondary / matchup discussion thread. I hope thats ok.
I don't play competitive level like you guys, but if or when I plan on doing so I would love to have some feedback on potential Pit secondaries.

Am I off base?

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
I still think the Oli matchup is horrid, but I'm scrubby. I'd really like to see the data they used to decide it was even.

At any rate, MK is always da bess. Picking anything else is mostly based on personal preference, so either just pick up another character you like or pick up a hard counter to that character you hate fighting.

Zulo

Smash Ace
I use Marth, he covers Wario, Snake (though I honestly think Pit does fine in that matchup), GaW, Olimar, Pikachu, and goes even with Marth and ICs. He does better against MK too, though it's still a disadvantage.

Here's the old thread. For reference, though it is indeed old.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Metaknight is the only character that can go even with Metaknight lol. Frankly it isn't too hard to solo Pit, you just need matchup experience. Snake, Marth, and ICs are reletively easy to learn. GaW is a character that if you don't fall for his BS you'll be fine, and Wario can take some time to learn, but Pit can handle himself on the right stages. Metaknight is the only character we truly lose to and theres no problem with that because he's metaknight. I second Pikachu because I like him, I don't pick up characters just to counter other characters.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
k. this is one of my last posts, and i just wanna say this for all you new pit's who read the BBR chart.

it's false. we lose to marth -1, wario -1.5, and MK-2. that's it. everyone else is even or in our favor. don't get a secondary unless you want one. our MUs are fine, g&w is free, ICs are timeout bait, and snake is outcamped, outrecovered, and out manueverable. that's it. take it from me. i promise it's true.

also thanks for all the nice posts guys, especially you kuro, you're right like usual. the next post i put in will be my new matches so you guys can see what i've done right, and where i fail. hopefully you'll take something from it. arrow loops are only good on read or when you have to shoot one because they got close when your bow was drawn, aside from that, don't do it. arrow rain is useless, go after them or learn you angle/positions better. the rest is up to you guys, i've done what i can for now, and now it's time for some1 else to step up the metagame for pit.

i couldn't leave without saying that

Starwave

Smash Cadet
Oh I see, I guess I was getting worked up over nothing. I'll work on soloing Pit for 99% of the cast and switching to Falco against MK. Anyone else glad that Pit has such good matchups for being a middling mid tier character? I sure am, its so refreshing to see him "not" get hard countered by any character in the game. I've started experimenting with my bro, but soon I will start laddering on AiB to get a better understanding on the metagame.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Honestly, pit is an amazing character. If he just had a few things different to cater to my preferences i'd be more prone to picking him back up right this very instant instead of saying "someday".

Yes snake is even. I do believe we lost IC but they are not counterpick worthy. Gaw i believe we're even with gaw but -1 could be as well. Wario i agree with 1.5 it's very stage and momentum dependent.

On a side note since my snake is 100x more experienced due to length of use i've decided to go all snake till apex(which i will be attending so i'm practicing really hard for once). I'm making so much progress so fast now. I'm so happy :)

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time
Honestly, the only character you might actually HAVE to CP is MetaKnight, but he's MetaKnight, so there's no surprise in doing that.

I think Marth is a good secondary if you really want to have an easier time with characters like G&W, Wario, Marth, and the characters Pit doesn't/does have trouble with. I wouldn't pick Marth against a character like ICs, since Pit's multiple jumps lets him stay up in the air and avoid getting grabbed. I'd also stay Pit against Falco, because we at least have a reflector and can out camp Falco.

But as they said, it's mostly preference on characters you like/if you feel like you need another character to deal with certain MUs. You don't HAVE to have a secondary, since Pit can handle most Match Ups fine. And even in the hard ones, he can still pull through if you play smart and out class your opponent. While it's hard to just go solo Pit, it's not really required to have a secondary to get somewhere with him.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
dual seeker, you just said pit doesn't have a hard time with wario.

you do realize we lose to him already on most neutrals and solidy get ***** by him on any stage we can't scrooge right? (glares hard at the bbr-rc for having castle siege as a starter)

edit:
not saying that wario is unwinnable by any means, but i had to point out that with thourough knowledge of the MU he still beats pit, and without knowledge of this MU wario will beat down any pit player to a degree that can be viewed as -3

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time
Well, it's not like HE COMPLETELY ***** US TO THE POINT WHERE WE CAN'T DO ANYTHING XD. It's hard, sure, but it's nothing as bad as MK. The hardest part is how he can be so maneuverable in the air. Marth makes the match easier because he has good anti-air moves.

And I know the match up, Maharba, I play against one a lot and it is really hard. I was just trying to state characters that Marth would have an easier time dealing with than Pit would. Not trying to say that Pit can handle Wario easily (although looking at my wording it looks like I'm saying that... I wonder if I meant to say Marth doesn't have that much trouble with those instead of Pit XD).

Again, just trying to say which characters Marth can handle easily that Pit can handle but might have some difficulty.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
dual seeker, you just said pit doesn't have a hard time with wario.

you do realize we lose to him already on most neutrals and solidy get ***** by him on any stage we can't scrooge right? (glares hard at the bbr-rc for having castle siege as a starter)

edit:
not saying that wario is unwinnable by any means, but i had to point out that with thourough knowledge of the MU he still beats pit, and without knowledge of this MU wario will beat down any pit player to a degree that can be viewed as -3
It's not as hard as your making it seem. We do especially well vs him on YI, battlefield, and lylat cruise. That's 3 out of 7 stages that we excel on. We do average on fd/sv and imo lose on ps1 and CS. There's no way you can't get a stage that is average or your adv vs him when striking.

Once you gain and knowledge even if both players know the mu it really isn't that bad. You just have to have to the exp, patience, and reflexes.

fUddO

Smash Ace
eh, Wario is in favour of whoever has the lead at any given moment. After that you just camp super hard and watch for farts.

MK is the best secondary for Pit, imo. I'm planning to use MK for the ditto, and go all Pit besides. Except for maybe ICs, cause I hate their BS.

Xcallion

Smash Ace
To be quite honest, MK is the ONLY character that any brawler should be playing in any game.
Too bad i dont like his character design or his rep.
Failing MK, falco is probably the best secondary for us, since he goes close to even with MK, does well against wario and he has a similar playstyle to Pit.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
tbh, when you look at all of pit's MUs and how a lot of people have some problems even with his even MUs (btw guys i really do feel we lose to TL by 1, it's both mine and esca's opinion if that counts), one of the best possible secondaries for pit is actually Mr. Game and Watch. seriously, he does good on a lot of the same stages we do, he is even with wario (and due to vinnie's recent performance he is believed to acutally be in the gray area between -1 and -2 against MK), and beats characters like tl, pika, shiek.

i've also been wanting to discuss something now that this topic has come back to light. using a secondary, even if it's just in friendlies, that forces you to play a different playstyle. i've been looking for one and im thinking about picking up g&w because:

1. i have a hard time reading people. with g&w, he forces you to learn how to read better, thrives off of tech chasing, and actually covers some of pit's harder MUs. not to mention again that they both share cp stages with each other.

2. by learning this character if even for just friendlies, it will open my eyes up to options that are new to me with pit in certain situations.

so i was gonna ask what do you guys think about using differant characters specifically for the change in playstyle even if they have similar MUs? should i just stick to using my solo pit? or should i maybe take up G&W (just for friendlies for now) and see if i start to improve as a pit player in tourney?

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
I can only see myself picking up GaW for brinstar metaknights. I usually go Kirby for brinstar. We don't lose to TL, we can outcamp him and he's light so he dies fast. His projectiles are all slow enough to powershield, the only thing that gets annoying is his airdodge bomb drop. That mu is either even or we win it. You can pick up GaW since your bad mus seem to be pikachu, TL, and sheik Maharba.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
tbh, when you look at all of pit's MUs and how a lot of people have some problems even with his even MUs (btw guys i really do feel we lose to TL by 1, it's both mine and esca's opinion if that counts), one of the best possible secondaries for pit is actually Mr. Game and Watch. seriously, he does good on a lot of the same stages we do, he is even with wario (and due to vinnie's recent performance he is believed to acutally be in the gray area between -1 and -2 against MK), and beats characters like tl, pika, shiek.

i've also been wanting to discuss something now that this topic has come back to light. using a secondary, even if it's just in friendlies, that forces you to play a different playstyle. i've been looking for one and im thinking about picking up g&w because:

1. i have a hard time reading people. with g&w, he forces you to learn how to read better, thrives off of tech chasing, and actually covers some of pit's harder MUs. not to mention again that they both share cp stages with each other.

2. by learning this character if even for just friendlies, it will open my eyes up to options that are new to me with pit in certain situations.

so i was gonna ask what do you guys think about using differant characters specifically for the change in playstyle even if they have similar MUs? should i just stick to using my solo pit? or should i maybe take up G&W (just for friendlies for now) and see if i start to improve as a pit player in tourney?
Do it. It's so worth it. You get opened up to a whole new side of things. it's basically why i can use 80% of the cast in tourney if i wanted to lol.

Top Bottom