• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which character(s) do you ride or die with?

Ravengeance

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ravengeance
So Sm4sh has had more than it's fair share of nerfs. While some characters have been portrayed as OP or strong enough to merit nerfs other characters have been ignored and not buffed or at least not buffed substantially to make them considered a top tier.
So my question is what character (high tier low tier doesn't matter) do you enjoy playing and why will you continue to play them no matter what? i.e. nerfs, buffs, etc.

I've played mostly Sheik since launch even when Diddy was the strongest. Sheik has been my main bc I enjoy the fast technical playstyle and think she is a character that requires more skill than most other characters. I fully concede that Bayonetta is a better character than Sheik after 1.1.5. But to me Bayo seems like she lands one move then gets rewarded for free whereas Sheik has to earn everything. So I'm gonna ride or die with Sheik. (tho i still expect Bayo nerfs in a future patch)

I also play Fox bc I liked him in N64 smash and Melee. I know he's considered a high tier character but I've also really enjoyed playing him since forever ago. Puff to the best of my knowledge hasn't gotten like any genuine buff in her entirety of sm4sh but i still love to play her bc her edge guarding is enjoyable. I also enjoy Samus bc I'm a big Metroid fan and played Yoshi bc there is no more satisfying way to KO my friends than my egg laying them to their death.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
:4mewtwo:. I don't care that's he top tier now and everyone's using him. I used him before Pound, dangit!

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
As much as I like to try other characters out, especially looking for characters that ko better, I just always seem to go back to Dark Pit.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
I've been with :4lucina: since day one, and it's staying that way as of now. I've been experimenting with other characters. Some that are better than her, but she will always be a dedicated main. She was a great character in her game, and that alone is the reason why.

CalamitySB

Smash Cadet
:4ganondorf:

I've always felt that I play my best with him, which is most likely because I have to in order to secure a satisfying win. It would be :snake:, but we all know what happened there.

Last edited:

zzmorg82

Smash Apprentice
NNID
zzmorg82
Switch FC
2476 2506 3411
I have been playing :4falco: since Brawl, it'll be hard to let him go. Same goes for :4lucina:.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
:4lucina:.
Like, there's no contest, if you guys know me.
Although I like her less than you think I do, she's still by far my favourite character in this game, and I have no shame in admitting I'd white knight her to the grave.

I-ninja

Smash Cadet
NNID
I-ninja13
3DS FC
4527-9851-5719
:4ganondorf: I go by The Dorf
:4ganondorf: I live by The Dorf
:4ganondorf: I die by The Dorf
When I'm done with him he's going to be in the grand finals of EVO

Quantumpen

Smash Apprentice
:4mewtwo:: First Day Main, played throughout Melee/Project M/Smash 4. He's been my favorite pokemon since I was a little boy exploring Cerulean Cave -- never dropping him.
:4marth:: Love Marth & the way he plays. I grew close to him through Melee and rode out early Smash 4 =p

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
if it wasn't already obvious...

no matter what other character i think of playing, i dont believe ill ever stop solo-maining the world warrior

Appe3

Smash Cadet
I don't believe in this stuff, but unless they nerf him enough to make him a different character completely, (nerf dair combos or utilt->shoryuken) Ryu will be my boi for the rest of sm4sh.

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
:4falco: all the way, hsa been my main since I unlocked him way back in Melee and he will always be my main. His big nerfs between brawl to now didnt phase me, because he still is the best click with me in terms of movement and play style.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
Alright, I admit I started playing :4metaknight: when the hype for him was the strongest. However, I've stayed with him strong through the big U-air nerf, which I don't think hit him as hard as some people think, and of course the F-air buff helped, too.

I've also stuck with :4pacman: and :4drmario: through their slight buffs, and :4tlink: through his significant buffs.

Moorthen

Smash Apprentice
:4marth: Even though he isn't the best character in this game, I love the way he plays. I tried to drop him before, but always found myself going back to him. I've just accepted that I will always play Marth in Smash 4. Also, I think he looks super cool.

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
:rosalina:: Day one main. Because SMG is amazing and Rosalina is bae. I'll never drop her, even if they nerf her to the ground.
:4robinm:: Discovered after some play sessions. I love his playstyle and that he is a cool guy (see avatar). I picked when he was a mess of a character and I will never drop him.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
So Sm4sh has had more than it's fair share of nerfs. While some characters have been portrayed as OP or strong enough to merit nerfs other characters have been ignored and not buffed or at least not buffed substantially to make them considered a top tier.
And then there's Dedede who used to be low-mid tier at launch and is now arguably bottom 3 in the game because they decided that Dedede needed nerfs. But I don't care, no other character fits my playstyle nearly as well as Dedede. I always loved Kirby games, as they were my favorite for a good portion of my childhood, and I always liked playing as the bad guy, but Dedede isn't really that evil anyways, he's just kinda fat and hungry, and wants to rule over dreamland, but once you get past all that he's the most whimsical and hilarious character out there! Also you can really have fun with Dedede and style on people even while playing competetively thanks to gordo setups and combos. Also Dedede caters to all my personal needs, which are good edgeguarding, heavy, melee based, good recovery, powerful smash attacks for reads, and suicide kills. No matter how much Dedede gets ignored or nerfed, there is still no other character that will satisfy me more than clobbahin' dat dere competition with my giant wooden war hammer.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
I have usually remained with :4dedede:,:4wario2: and :4duckhunt:. Though i use other characters these 3 have been my main ones really.
Wario is pretty decent as he is so i got no complaints aside from missing that so satisfying side smash from Brawl that even had Super Armor.
As for Dedede and Duck Hunt i am pretty disappointed to see so and so many characters get buffs like :4bowser::4charizard::4zelda::4ganondorf::4myfriends::4mewtwo: while Duck Hunt barely gets anything, though tbh i am not too upset over Duck Hunt because he got some good stuff.
But for Dedede i just despize this treatment we've been getting, i'd say we've been treated equally as bad as :4jigglypuff:. But i still play him to this day, gotta remain loyal because once he gets his buffs and possibly rises i can proudly say i've been one even in the toughest of times.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Mario... MARIO:mario64::mariomelee::mario2::4mario:
Also these...
:4cloud:- One of the hypest character so far, I have decide to main him ever since he was revealed, no jokking. And maining Cloud, I might expect myself becoming a real FF fan (I was only half- attention on FF news and stuff, but I was never like a huge fan of it). Kind of sad the PS was actually one of the first had console I had ever played, my aunt never bought FF VII or any good games for her PS.
:4mario:- Two words: nuff said.
:rosalina:- Probably the only newcomer (And definitely the only Mario character) I had hope to be in Smash. I had used to thought her inclusion was a long shot. So I mained her not because of her tier (Hell, I have never thought she was OP until National Smash Bros 3DS Tournament), it's because I really like this character.
:4myfriends:- Kind of ironic that one of the character that used to pissed me off so much in Brawl eventually becoming the best FE character I could main so far. I mained him back in the late Brawl days. After he was nerf in Smash4, my brothers dropped Ike quickly. They were dumb since we all know Ike did eventually get tons of buff over the patches and updates. Now My Ike can even beat my brother's tough and decent Marth occasionally.
:4shulk:- I have said this many times, I hate leaks, especially ones that were eventually real. Gematsu and ESRB leaks were no exception. That's why I used to against Shulk being in Smash, and I wasn't really that hyped after seeing his trailer. But after I witness his game and even played it. Now he is my solid main next to Mario and Rosalina.
I am also trying get good with :4lucina: and:4feroy:

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
:4palutena::4sheik: I began using Sheik since launch, unaware of her top tier status. Still love her play style and am going to continue with this. Palutena, I just love the way this character plays, believe it or not.

Stroimex

Smash Rookie
I just want follow ups from Grabs for Jigglypuff.
Haven't really choosed sub-mains for ssb4 yet.

Synchronize

Smash Cadet
Falco. 100% Falco.
If my back is pushed against a wall and even if the match up is completely terribad, I'll switch to Falco. I've been playing Falco since I was 5 and I've played so many competitive games with him now that I just cant leave him behind. Falco has saved my ass so many times in tournaments coming back from 0-4s that I now bring a little Falco Amiibo to tournaments with me just for good luck. All of my most hyped sets have been with Falco, all of my worst sets have been with Falco. I have too much attachment with Falco to drop him.

ArcGale

Smash Cadet
NNID
Enderores
:4bayonetta::4bayonetta2:: I live for this character. I won't drop her. I find her combos a blast to pull off.

:4kirby:: The one true puffball. This character just feels so right. (Although he could be much better.)

Oh and :4cloud2:, :4corrinf:, :rosalina:are cool too I guess.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
:rosalina: - Super Mario Galaxy was such an amazing game and Rosalina is my all time favorite Mario character ever. The day she was revealed was the day she became an instant main and I ain't never dropping her. Not now, not ever
:4cloud: - Two words: For Aerith.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
:4feroy: What can i say? I began to love this character since i was a child who was playing Melee with their friends. Since then i've waited... waited soo long... I lost him during the Brawl Day finding a strange blue haired guys who wasn't nearly as cool as him...
And then the leak. Oh god i'll remember the leak for the rest of my life. People beginning to be salty. Insulting the character. The people who was happy. Then he was finally out. And since then. I've found a new spark inside me. Like those 13Years of wait was finally paying of... Smash 4 was. Is. And will be my favorite Smash game just for him returning. In those badass redesign. Having Boku was makenai as a taunt. A new character who isn't a Marth 2.0. And just a good character overall who is viable. Finally. he's not the trash he was in Melee.

People began to play him saying he was op because of his F-smash. Then they stoped cared about him. Saying he was trash. But even then... i can't bring myself to play another character. Even if i have to lose a tournament. It will be with him. I won't change... i can't change...

Roy is truly my boy and i'm happy with him. Even if he fell like trash for some people. For me he feel like the most wonderful of character.

Sheep McLamb

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3368-3778-4498
:4feroy: What can i say? I began to love this character since i was a child who was playing Melee with their friends. Since then i've waited... waited soo long... I lost him during the Brawl Day finding a strange blue haired guys who wasn't nearly as cool as him...
And then the leak. Oh god i'll remember the leak for the rest of my life. People beginning to be salty. Insulting the character. The people who was happy. Then he was finally out. And since then. I've found a new spark inside me. Like those 13Years of wait was finally paying of... Smash 4 was. Is. And will be my favorite Smash game just for him returning. In those badass redesign. Having Boku was makenai as a taunt. A new character who isn't a Marth 2.0. And just a good character overall who is viable. Finally. he's not the trash he was in Melee.

People began to play him saying he was op because of his F-smash. Then they stoped cared about him. Saying he was trash. But even then... i can't bring myself to play another character. Even if i have to lose a tournament. It will be with him. I won't change... i can't change...

Roy is truly my boy and i'm happy with him. Even if he fell like trash for some people. For me he feel like the most wonderful of character.
I laughed way too hard at "Roy is truly my boy." But I understand what you're saying. Kirby's been at least a secondary for all the Smash games I've played, even in Melee. I love both the character and the series.

33percentgod

Smash Apprentice
Bowser.

:4bowser::4bowser::4bowser::4bowser::4bowser::4bowser::4bowser:

Most of the time I get bodied. Sonic will 2 stock me with me only dealing 30% Meta Knights will just upair combo me about 10 times in a row and then up-B 2 stocks. Rosalina...don't even bother, just SD.

He's my main from day 1, win or lose. I main heavies, and will continue to until one day in 2065 they become viable.

Last edited:

syklone

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThePerson14
:4mewtwo:Mewtwo, and I was using him before he went top-tier...
:4palutena:Palutena just because... I don't know, she's really fun to play with. Also it feels satisfying to beat a top-tier character with a low-tier one.

:4falcon:Captain Falcon would be my third choice just because I've used him since brawl and through Project M. He was my original main in Sm4sh too but that changed when Mewtwo came out.

Kaiduru Zeta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kaiduru_Zeta8
3DS FC
1332-7842-2519
It has to be :4wiifit:. Me and her have a REALLY special connection and I love playing her. Every time I play her it's just so exciting and fulfilling to spike people.
:4kirby:. This little guy is ride or die too. I've had him in 64,Brawl and Smash 4 so far. He's fantastic.
:rosalina:. She's ride or die with as well. She's a really fun character and covers WFT so well.

MISTERBLACKLIGHT

Smash Rookie
:4duckhunt:-Ever since I found out that he was in the game I was interested in him though I never mained him till last August and found out that I love his Character, Moveset, and overall appearance and now he is my main. I wish Sakarai Gave him more buffs though. That would be Great. DUCK HUNT FTW.

:4megaman: and :4pacman: - I have been trying to get good With these two Because DuckHunt Need Back ups. Really looking forward To see what I can do with these Two

:4samus:- If I owned any other smash Game. Samus would've been my main but she is more of a Pocket Now.

ShineHazZaRd

Smash Rookie
NNID
LuigiMario793
3DS FC
4124-5762-8357
:4fox:-Ive used him in nearly every Smash game, and despite his flaws, I will always play him.
:4ness:-Ever since his buffs in Sm4sh, he has become one of the most fun characters to play. I also like how he has a move for every occasion.
:4cloud2:-Probably the most hyped character to be announced as DLC. I've had him as a solid secondary since his release and even though the recent nerfs hit him hard, it hasn't really bothered me too much as Cloud is still a fun character and my favorite DLC.
:4mario:-Same story as Ness

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I played :4robinm: since day 1, and all he's been doing is getting buffed. If he gets nerfed severely, then I'll still stick with him.

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
I tackle every single matchup with either Dr. Mario or Mii Gunner, no matter how bad it may be.

I'm loyal to Dr. Mario for being my first serious main, and teaching me what I know about this game. Thanks to him, I went from being a noob to a semi-okay player with him, and he has a special place in my heart for that reason. Doc's also helped me achieve my best wins, and he's my backup for when I refuse to lose. I also still chuckle at the thought that I move my cursor over Dr. Mario when I'm absolutely serious, when a lot of people are the opposite.

However, I'd say I'm more loyal to Mii Gunner for practically being my perfect main: she's never seen (especially in 1111 50/50 form, the set I exclusively use), she has lots of fun tricks up her sleeve (I could write an essay about all the mixups that come from gundashing alone), IMO she comfortably combines aggression and defense with her neutral, and she's a silly, yet serious cartoony character. A huge problem with my Doc is that I get so aggressive with him that I blatantly ignore his faults and do things that my opponent can easily defend against. This often leads to me feeling like the match is an uphill battle. When I space forward airs and properly utilize gundashes, I feel like I'm firmly controlling the flow of the match. That isn't to say Mii Gunner is an amazing, or even better, character (she is DEFINITELY bottom tier), but she pushes me to my limits and I always enjoy a game as her. Oh, and, the extra costumes don't hurt! I get to play K.K. Slider, Tails, the Inklings, Proto Man, MegaMan.EXE (who I've affectionately the Mii of "ROKKUMAN" due to character limits), Geno, and Isabelle all in one character! Best alternate costumes ever

Top Bottom