• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which character is the easiest to win with?

Easiest character to play without experience?

• Total voters

horizons889

Smash Apprentice
I'm solely talking about characters who can be played with little knowledge about the game/character. For example, a friend who never played smash before comes over and gets a cheap win here or there with a certain character- due to spamming/holding smashes with large hit boxes, easy kill options, etc. Comparably, this can also be people on FG who are clearly bad at the game and do the same thing over and over again. Most of these, ironically, are no where near the top of the tier list and are universally known by the community to be "cheap".
Here are the options:
:4ganondorf:
:4myfriends:
:4littlemac:
:4sonic:
My vote goes to Ike. Personally, I feel like his F-smash near the ledge is such a cheap tactic that every Ike will tend to use on FG. Not to mention his annoying sword attacks that have such a large range and do heaps of damage. I've literally only faced one good Ike and he wasn't even an Ike main. Obviously, if you play smart, Ike will crumble. Most of his smash attacks have incredible ending lag and can be punished very, very easily. He's slow, but yet again, nothing is more annoying than getting hit by one of his smashes due to your own mistakes.

NOTE: I would of loved to add Sheik on the list; but Sheik actually takes some learning before you can be the current Smash 4 annoyance everybody loves.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Out of those, Sonic is probably the easiest to learn, and due to how good he is, probably the easiest to get results with. One of my friends has been playing for a year with him and he's already quite decent,
Little Mac is also decent, but he's far easier to screw up than with Sonic, he's far less versatile, so you need quite a lot more expertise to get results with him. Another one of my friends plays Little Mac and, even though he's decent, he suffers with his weakness regarding recoveries.

I'd say Ike and Ganondorf are characters you need quite a bit of finesse to play, actually. You can spam Ike's Side Special or all of Ganondorf's Specials all you want, but both of them are high-risk and high-reward characters, thanks to how easy it is to punish their moves once they miss and how easy it is for anybody to combo them for high damage. Stopping Ike's Side Special dead on its tracks is easy with a projectile (and it's not particularly hard to dodge either), Warlock Kick is ridiculously easy to dodge, Warlock Punch is just you begging to get grabbed, and you can only spam Flame Choke so much before it gets stale and predictable.

Ikenna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
IkennaSmash
Ike.

His tilts and dash attack have high knockback if he is under the effect of the Rage buff. You can have a high percentage lead against an Ike player and lose just like that if playing as a lightweight character. Yeah, Ike could help a new player pull a win out of the four characters here.

horizons889

Smash Apprentice
Ike.

His tilts and dash attack have high knockback if he is under the effect of the Rage buff. You can have a high percentage lead against an Ike player and lose just like that if playing as a lightweight character. Yeah, Ike could help a new player pull a win out of the four characters here.
Exactly. His attacks have ridiculous knockback and his sword's hit box is crazy (not to mention most sword characters do, but Ike is significantly worse.) Also, nice Smash 4 main.

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
Of those four, Ike.

Gannon requires mastering powershielding, Sonic's spindash is a little tricky to learn and Little Mac is just difficult due to his bad recovery and requires a ton of patience.

Overall though of all characters I'd say Mario. You can pick up Mario really really easily and he's extremely straightforward.

Last edited:

Blazerator

Smash Cadet
NNID
josh2499
I'd say Ike. You don't even need to do any setups when the opponent is at kill percent, all you have to do is hit them :p Not to mention Ike has very good mobility considering his power.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Little Mac requires no special knowledge to succeed with. You just hit buttons. No need to jump even. Quick super armor moves that kill below 100%, fast movement.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Ike. He isn't the best out of the 4, but he's the easiest to use. He can take a lot of hits and even if you're getting bodied a few good attacks will kill pretty much anyone.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
If you ever get hit by Ike's forward smash you need to put the game down and not pick it up for a few months.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
If you ever get hit by Ike's forward smash you need to put the game down and not pick it up for a few months.
By that logic, you should never touch the game again if you get hit by Finishing Touch or KO Punch.
I should probably throw my copy from the top of the Empire State Building considering I'm the worst player ever at avoiding them.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
By that logic, you should never touch the game again if you get hit by Finishing Touch or KO Punch.
I should probably throw my copy from the top of the Empire State Building considering I'm the worst player ever at avoiding them.
What logic? Finishing Touch is frame 16 and KO Punch is frame 9. Ike's forward smash is frame 31. That's more than half a second of pure lag. To get hit by it, much less call it cheap, is absurd.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Truthfully, no character is ever that easy to learn, as each one has his or her strengths and weaknesses. Ganondorf is quite powerful, but he's sluggish, and has a poor recovery. Little Mac's ground game is strong, but his air game is awful, along with his recovery. Sonic is fast, but he's not exactly a heavy hitter, and has some problems against long-ranged attackers.

Of the four characters, Ike seems pretty well-suited to learn, as he has a long-ranged sword that can hit quite hard, a tolerable air speed value, and can alternate between Quick Draw and Aether for his recovery.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
What logic? Finishing Touch is frame 16 and KO Punch is frame 9. Ike's forward smash is frame 31. That's more than half a second of pure lag. To get hit by it, much less call it cheap, is absurd.
I agree on the calling it cheap part, but hey lemme tell you something.

It's a GAME.

People make mistakes, people get hard read sometimes, and I would hope you don't consider yourself flawless enough that certain choice moves have NEVER EVER hit you before. Because God forbid we actually be realistic and analytical. Is it easy to avoid? Yes. Is it possible that YOU HAVE BEEN HIT BY IT BEFORE? Yes. And don't lie and say you haven't.

And if you do consider yourself that flawless, you must be so much fun at parties.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I agree on the calling it cheap part, but hey lemme tell you something.

It's a GAME.

People make mistakes, people get hard read sometimes, and I would hope you don't consider yourself flawless enough that certain choice moves have NEVER EVER hit you before. Because God forbid we actually be realistic and analytical. Is it easy to avoid? Yes. Is it possible that YOU HAVE BEEN HIT BY IT BEFORE? Yes. And don't lie and say you haven't.

And if you do consider yourself that flawless, you must be so much fun at parties.
I, MarioMeteor, in my 363 days of playing this game, have never been hit by Ike's forward smash. I guess that means I'm flawless. Bow down, mortals.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I, MarioMeteor, in my 363 days of playing this game, have never been hit by Ike's forward smash. I guess that means I'm flawless. Bow down, mortals.
I've had moments where I got hit by Ganondorf's Warlock Punch AND u-tilt. You can't expect to avoid every kind of attack maneuver out there.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I've had moments where I got hit by Ganondorf's Warlock Punch AND u-tilt. You can't expect to avoid every kind of attack maneuver out there.
Obviously. I've been Falcon Punched (back when I didn't tech those) and Volcano Kicked (I blame Luigi's recovery) before. Granted, they were both a long time ago. Anyway, what's your point?

randy2dope

Smash Journeyman
I think other characters are "cheaper" than this list and others are easier to win with ( link, Roy , dedede) but from this list it's gotta be:4myfriends:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Obviously. I've been Falcon Punched (back when I didn't tech those) and Volcano Kicked (I blame Luigi's recovery) before. Granted, they were both a long time ago. Anyway, what's your point?
Basically, I'm just saying that you shouldn't act like you'll never get hit by a certain move, because it can eventually happen.

33percentgod

Smash Apprentice
Stop trying to converse with him. He's clearly on a higher plane of existence better than all of us. I mean he's never been hit by Ike's F-smash.....he's clearly immortal and the greatest Smash player to ever live.

Seoxys

Smash Apprentice
What is that poll ?

As if Ike stood a chance against Zero Suit Samus, Diddy Kong, or Greninja, that's cute to put him in just because of his Up B which is I agree the best vertical recovery. Though, he is not the cheapest character. Sonic can move after UpB, he got crazy speed, and his specials's spam is really annoying.

Little Mac is not that cheap since Side B can be a reflex when you begin at Smash. For example my brother of 11 years old mains Marth and really uses a lot his side B, despite the fact I tell him not to spam it because reads.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Stop trying to converse with him. He's clearly on a higher plane of existence better than all of us. I mean he's never been hit by Ike's F-smash.....he's clearly immortal and the greatest Smash player to ever live.
They say that ignorance can lead to your own undoing.

Why do I even bother coming here?

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Yet I've hit you before with Dedede's fsmash, which comes out on frame 42. =P
When and where? And you got hit with Jigglypuff's down smash, which has the closest thing to no hitbox you can have while still having a hitbox.

Seoxys

Smash Apprentice
Is that something supposed to be good ? You play Mario, of course you're never going to be hit by Ike anyway, just Down B him and it's over...

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Kind of shocked you didn't put Yoshi on your list of four, but if I had to pick one, I think Ganondorf would do with his strong moves, decent side-b, and can utilize the rage effect to it's fullest when losing.

D

Deleted member 269706

Realistically I think Mario or Falcon would be the easiest characters to pick up due to how good they are all around, but based on this I guess I'd have to say Ike if we're talking from a casual standpoint. Funny story, back in Brawl (cause I didn't play competitively), I "mained" Ike and my entire strategy revolved around Quick Draw and Fsmash/Usmash. I was the unstoppable scrub, at least in my group of friends.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Is that something supposed to be good ? You play Mario, of course you're never going to be hit by Ike anyway, just Down B him and it's over...
A smart Ike is going to recover as low as possible so as to avoid that.

I'm kind of shocked that Mac is winning, considering his weaknesses. I voted for Sonic, although Yoshi is probably the easiest character in the game.

Direspect only!

Smash Apprentice
Out of this list. Mac, dealing with his bad recovery involves staying centerstage at all times. He has crazy fast attacks. Great mobility, and super armor so even if you mess up, timing becomes irrelevant when you can just attack and run and win lol.

Seoxys

Smash Apprentice
A smart Ike is going to recover as low as possible so as to avoid that.

I'm kind of shocked that Mac is winning, considering his weaknesses. I voted for Sonic, although Yoshi is probably the easiest character in the game.
Yeah of course, then you go under the stage and cape him, over.
In the case you show, there is anyway two kinds of behavior an Ike will adopt.
Either he'll recov just a bit under the stage, and seeing him throwing his sword you can already Down B.
Or if you see he tries to really be under the stage and the ledge at the same time, calculating that Ragnell will anyway not be above the ledge, you can already go and cape him quickly enough. This is not the hardest thing.
And considering that Mario can cape you in almost every situation, the fact you don't take any Fsmash is not a miracle, you just have to cape him when he charges then do what you want.

I'm kind of shocked too by Little Mac's lead right there, I'd rather be expecting Ganon considering that with the lagg you can break 45000 shields/match. XD
Though, Ike is almost all-rounded and should not be under rated as he is now. He is completely not the same tough mastodon he used to be in Brawl.

Khao

Smash Lord
The thing about characters like Little Mac is that they're only stupid easy to win with if your opponent also completely lacks experience in the game.

Play against someone who knows how the game works, and Little Mac suddenly becomes relatively difficult to use, and even surprisingly strategic when compared to a ton of other characters. At that point, you're better off with a different character that doesn't have such easily exploitable weaknesses.

Last edited:

Rexcalibr

Smash Apprentice
Of the characters listed, I'd say Ike.

I think Sonic is not really easy to play with all. He's all over the place and his move set makes him move around a lot. I've seen new players try him and just accidentally kill themselves because they can't control him.

Little Mac is great, fast and hits hard but his recovery is so terrible.

Gannon is a good, simple character to use but he's also slow. I think Captain Falcon is easier to learn with than Gannon.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
Ganondorf in my opinion, although a lot of people seem to disagree because he's low tier. Sonic is definitely not the easiest character to play for somebody with no knowledge of the game and I feel like a certain amount of experience is needed to use the tools that make Ike good.

A friend who has never played smash before is bound to just press buttons and pray, Little Mac and Ganondorf would benefit the most from this. I would personally pick Ganon since I feel a newbie would struggle with Little Mac's non existent recovery, but it goes either way.

FGC-Oni

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FGC-Oni
3DS FC
0430-8323-9211
Lol recently been playing Sonic instead of my main Link. Nothing about Sonic is cheap, he's easy to defend against. He's just hard to catch. Projectile happy opponents give me serious trouble. I faced off against a Wii Fit Trainer that would not stop chucking Suns at me. In hindsight all I had to do was spot dodge them and force him to approach me. I'm too aggressive of a player, I like to rush in to much. But yea, shield Sonics Spin Dash attacks and spot dodge his Homing Attack and you're golden. Plus his spring recovery makes it very easy for him to get meteor spiked if you can manage to get over him fast enough.

Simperheve

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Simperheve
Ike's recovery is pretty bad, but other than that I think he's probably the easiest to just pick up and go with. I played a friend of mine who's still quite a novice but thinks Ike is pretty cool. He managed to get a stock here and there because of a few lucky hits. But that's the beauty of playing Characters like Ike and Ganondorf. All it takes is a few clean hits.....

ZafKiel

Smash Apprentice
Ganondorf. You literally have to hit your opponent a couple times and most of moves can kill. D-air kills onstage at around 80% (I think) and his Side B to Down tilt kills too. Plus you can Ganoncide whenever

Top Bottom