• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which char. counters Y.Link the most?

Metà

Smash Master
Whenever I play YL, my biggest annoyance is Marth. He can cut through all of my projectiles with any attack, and I have no range against him. Then again, I suck against Marth with all characters, so he might not be a counter. Anyway, Marth is the most broken character. What happened during beta testing? Did they not notice the over-amplification of his range, speed, and power? Jeez...

Chip.

you know what to do
Marth is pretty broken. Although, I find him easy prey with my Young Link, I just play more defensive against him.

Metà

Smash Master
That's one of the problems I have. How do I play defensive with YL against a good Marth? I have strategies for my other characters, but this isn't a common match-up for me and YL isn't one of my mains. I'll give this some thought, but can you tell me what you do to keep on top of Marth? This is something that has troubled me for a long time. My projectile game becomes useless, so I try to use them only to surprise my opponent. One of the things I like to do is throw a boomerang at them, then I take out a bomb, and if they jump over it, they risk getting hit by my bomb, and if they sheild/block it, I can throw the bomb at them when they let their guard down. This works rarely, but sometimes I get desperate. Another thing I do is spam N-airs, hoping to out-prioritize him, because it *clings* with many of his attacks. Marth is such a hard character to fight against!

HeroSublime

Smash Ace
It's all about spacing your projectiles between fairs, and subtle tricks like sheild bombing. On small stages like BF and Yoshi's Story, a Marth who knows what they're doing, is extremely difficult. I find myself playing a slow game of following up with lots of nairs and doing some quick edge guards. Rarely can I actually win this matchup on either of those stages just because Marth seems to have just an extremely large amount of advantage. With more practice I think I could win though.

Cool combo versus Marth(Do on low percents 0-20% or so) = Nair->grapple->dthrow->utilt->continue utilting if he is at very low percent->sheild because he'll try and fair out of it or something->sheild grab->repeat and next time follow up with nairs or dair after the first utilt. Potentially 0-death, I'm experimenting still.

Chip.

you know what to do
You are definetly right Meta, Marth is a tough shell to crack. If your asking how do play defensive with Y.Link against Marth and win, then I might have some answers for you.

Marth is crazy. If you're fighting a good Marth then your likely to see a buttload of SHFFL's and ariels. Marth will try and overpower you with his "longer than hell" sword. Another advantage he is that he can recover very quick after a SHFFL. That means any of your laggy moves(i.e. s-smash, dair, projectiles) are put to waste. You have to put your shield up. Marth plays best when he's aggressive. You can't let him control the field. sheild grabbing is one of your best options against Marth. He can only hit you so many times with his sword and then he'll try to keep bashing you. Y.Link has one of the fastest grabs in the game so use that to an advantage. And while good Marth players can deflect your projectiles, they will eventually break if you hoard the feild with an arsenal of projectiles. Just keep running and try and push him back.

While Marth may have range with his sword, Y.Link actually has good head-to-head chance of fighting Marth. When Marth is at a high %, try SHFFL'ing at him with fairs and nairs. It's easy to sidestep dodge his s-smash when on the ground. If you dodge it, then spin attack him or d-smash. Also don't forget that when your bomb hits, the stun is long enough for a free dair(provided if your in adequete distance).

HeroSublime

Smash Ace
I must correct you, Young Link's grabs are actually complete garbage in terms of speed, it's the range that's good. Compared to other characters his grab speed is not very good at all. Also, on most level that aren't gay like the ones I mentioned, you should be able to run away and spam if you ever get into trouble. Your projectile game isn't useless, you just need to REALLY throw them out alot, get some arrows in there too to poke his sheild or throw him off guard. After fighting Young Link, a good Marth will resort to grab spam and ledge guarding as opposed to fairs and such, since it's very hard to not get tech chased on small levels, this is what gives Marth such a massive advantage on YS and BF.

Chip.

you know what to do
I always thought that Y.Link had a fast hookshot, thx for the correction.

I made a stupid nOObish mistake, I accidentally made 3 threads of the same topic, does anyone know how I can erase my other two threads:confused: ?

HeroSublime

Smash Ace
No problem, let me touch on the Sheik matchup while I'm at it. Sheik is really only extremely difficult when she is chain throwing you, even then taking Sheik to FoD, as I always enjoy doing, gives you great advantage. Nair will take out alot of Sheik's priorities, don't be afraid to edge guard with nair, make sure to go after sheik before she Up-Bs or after she's completed Up-B. Ledgehog alot and use plenty of bombs and arrows.

As for the topic issue, just PM a moderator like Wak.

HeroSublime

Smash Ace
Marth + YS or BF is just too much to deal with imo. Though if I spot dodged the fsmash, it might help out alot. Since I don't I'm going to keep that noted, but also say Ganon on FoD and small stages like that is very tough.

Chip.

you know what to do
Yeah, Ganondorf really puts on the upper hand in stages like that. My best strategy against him is always proj. spamm and run. I avoid his chain grabs at all costs and try my best not give him a chance to unleash his deadly fair. At high %, I usually nair him to death, or bomb plant him.

HeroSublime

Smash Ace
A good Ganon will follow Young Link around and **** him good. See, really good Ganons are often amazing at spacing and tech chasing. Young Link's roll is garbs, super easy to get chased by tech chasing Marths and Ganons. That's why small stages can **** you against them.

Metà

Smash Master
Yeah, Ganon can give Y. Link some trouble, but from my experience, YL has some wicked combos on Ganny. D-throw is your friend, it leads to so many aerial combos. Plus, projectile spamming is quite effective against him. Also, his recover is so easy to edge-guard. N-air off the stage for the win!

Chip.

you know what to do
Ganon's Achilies heel would definetly be his speed and his chances of survivel from getting back from the edge. any Y.Link player should never let Ganon get back from the edge. Period. While Ganon has great wavedashes to fill in projectile gap space between him and the kid. But, then again Y.Link really doesn't have anything else he can do but SHFFL.

HeroSublime

Smash Ace
Actually the chance to meteor cancel is much better than the chance to tech on most players. Plus a perfect sweet spot can't be downsmashed, so that's really gay.

Eggz

Smash Hero
dtilt is useless unless your fighting noobs. It's so slow and obvious that anyone with a brain will tech or cancel it. Dtilt *meteor, not spike.

D-air meteor, not spike

Anyway, I don't understand why Falco is annoying and counters YL. Counter is a bit of a strong word. All Falco has on YL is the same thing he has on everyone else. It doesn't do especially well against YL or anything. All that happens is you can't spam him very well, it seems. But I'm not a YL main and only recently picked up falco, so maybe im confused.

HeroSublime

Smash Ace
Eggz is right, Falco only has a notable amount of YL as opposed to other characters if you are fighting the falco incorrectly. You MUST engage in constantly switching back and fourth between spam and approaching with your sword. Running a works wonders, if you mindgame falco with projectiles you can land it constantly, use it to tech chase his rolls too. It's TOO good.

Jash

Smash Lord
The only thing i have a problem with Falco is his SHL, everything else i can take. Unlike Fox, its so annoying fighting him. His shine is SO broken, its can go through is Nair......anyway to me Fox is my only problem because his broken shine and his crazy strong UpA.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Marth in my opinion, because he can grab him very fast and edgeguard him. And the counter is especially annoying to Y-Link. Althrough y-links projectiles are super effective against Marth.

Chip.

you know what to do
I really don't find Marth to much of a pest. And yes, Falco isn't any huge counter to Young Link. He's got blaster spamming and shine combos, but he can do that to anyone.

Chip.

you know what to do
Yeah, Gimpy I see what your saying... but I really don't think that Bowser has too many advantages if at all.

Just recently, I fight an annoying Sheik player who would chain grab me and combo me to death. But, I pulled myself together and with a little help from my nair, I CRUSHED HIM. He was defeated so bad, so many times. Y.Link really can do good against just about anyone, it's all about mindgames and think'in out your strategy fast.

Chip.

you know what to do
gimpy wasn't saying anything, i just wanted to post on the ylink forums for no reason lol
Yeah, whatever.

Does anyone got some really good advice against a good fox player. I played a guy who used fox and was about the pro level. I beat him, twice, but I figure he's going to train extra too beat me.

Chip.

you know what to do
SlyD, the dude everyone thought sucked with Sheik at the eastern WA tourney.

He's actually gotten better with his Sheik, he can chain grab me at will, and can flesh out all of Sheik's combos flawlessly... too bad I still beat him :).

Anyways, he's starting to main with fox now and is shining my Y.Link in all the right places. He shinespikes me, he can shine combo me, and he just pretty much shines me everywhere. Not only that, he edgegaurds me with all of his bairs and nairs too. He only slightly messed up with a few shines, which is when I pounced. If it hadn't been for a couple of small mistakes, I coulda've been toast. Once he completely masters fox, he will probably beat me. I have a large experience against good fox players and I know their weak points, but SlyD is a really fast learner and I fear who could really become an extrm. good fox user.

HeroSublime

Smash Ace
Here's one hilarious mistake my friends have showed me. NEVER JUMP when he's got you off the ledge. He might back-throw you or something and your first impulse might be jump, don't, he'll shine you right then and there. A much better idea is to just fall and sweetspot the ledge with up-b or if you don't think he'll CC(Like he's jumping or something), hit him with your up-b. Avoid obvious hookshot recoveries too, but hookshotting can sometimes be a good switch up when in that position of "I've just been sent off the ledge". Recovering well versus Fox is CRUCIAL in doing well versus him, same goes to any massive recovery killer like Bowser or Marth. Good luck.

HeroSublime

Smash Ace
His recovery. Boomerang him so he falls under the ledge and then down smash. That's a quick and easy way to take out Fox off the ledge. As for on the ledge, space aerials carefully, catch him in uair whenever possible and spam elusively and carefully, be prepared to approach at all times.

Chip.

you know what to do
I SHFFL nairs against him whenever I have the chance, which keeps him back too.

As for the shine, is my best chance against it just shielding it and dodge-and-counter?

EDIT: I remember now why I started this thread... I HATE SHEIK!!! SLyD is so freakin' good with Sheik now. How do you defeat Sheik? She's invincible with her stupid combos, freakin' edgegaurding, and dumb chain-grabbing! Spamming just is no good against her, esp. at FD!
Help me!

Metà

Smash Master
While I don't have much experience in this match-up (BC doesn't have a lot of Sheik players), I'll try to give you some advice. I have found that a lot of Sheik's combos can be broken with some good DI, but it's so hard, since nearly none of her moves produce any hitstunlag, which means no SDI, which is something I excel at. Whenever I play against Sheiks, I just spam n-airs constantly (I do this against most characters, haha), and it just over-rides all her attacks. Sheik can be hard to edge-guard because of her teleport, but a good strategy I have found is: edgehog, forcing them onto the stage, then ledgehop/ledge waveland dsmash. Sheik has enough landing lag on her B-up that this usually isn't too hard to execute. Oh yeah, and the chainthrowing, I can't help you on that, you're on your own...

Hope that helped. =)

Top Bottom