• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where Should Pokémon Go From Here? (With Poll)

What should be next for Pokémon?

• Total voters

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
With Pokémon Super Myster Dungeon on its way, where do you think Pokémon should go from here? Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Remakes? Pokémon Z? Or another spinoff game like Pokémon Mystery Dungeon?

Personally, and although the majority will disagree, I think Sinnoh was the best region. If we got remakes, we would see a whole new and innovative Underground, Contests, Pokémon Park, Elite 4, and many cities will likely be redesigned as well. Also, some more Mega Evolutions!

This is not confirmed. This was made by a fan.

However, many people are anticipating Pokémon Z, although X and Y were released not long ago. Do you think this is plausible, or not until the future?

Discuss what direction Pokémon is likely to go and where you want it to go.

Last edited:

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I would love to see 4th gen reimagined, but it's way too soon IMO. The last main series games we got in the franchise were remakes and it would be an odd decision for Nintendo to do more remakes immediately after. At the very soonest the remakes should come after new main series games in the seventh gen, but since we skipped a generation with remakes in gen 5 it could be longer too. Much as I love 4th gen, I don't think differences like Fairy Type and Mega Evolutions give enough of a good reason to remake it yet.

I'd like to see Z, personally; I really enjoyed sixth gen, though I understand and agree with the confusion over the lack of more to do in postgame. I found myself pretty satisfied by working for Pokedex completion, and sixth gen made it a lot easier to do that, but there still ought to have been more, and hopefully they'll remedy that with Z. And I do hope for Z rather than a dual sequel deal. What they did with Black/White 2 was neat, but it still just felt like a money grab to me, and X/Y don't have the narrative basis or the version differences to justify advancing things that way.

And I don't think it's too soon for Z at all. The last few gens have had a 1.5 to 2-year gap between the original games and the "third version(s)"; X/Y were released in October 2013. Even if Z were announced tomorrow, we'd still be waiting probably another six months for it to actually release, making it the longest wait for a "third version" yet.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
I agree with Firus about fourth gen remakes. Its just too soon. The remakes really should maintain a large gap of time between the generation being remade, and the current generation. Right now, there is about a 12 year gap between remakes and current gen, and I think that is a good gap. (But I totally agree that it would be awesome to visit Sinnoh again, but the hype must build up a bit more).
I do hope that they do pokémon Z, but I hope they take it in sorta the direction that B2/W2 took it, not splitting it in two versions, but focusing more on new plot, because I didn't particularly like the plot of X/Y. However, they can really delve a lot deeper into the history of the Kalos region, and AZ. They could change the route you take around the region, maybe add more cities, and make a much larger post-game. That's what I'm hoping for (And mega flygon. Did I mention mega flygon? Do it nintendo.)

atreyujames

The Laziest Man in the North
NNID
Atreyujames
I feel Pokemon Z is a very strong possibility, What with the anime now moving from Pokemon XY to Pokemon XY&Z. It would be interesting to see what changes happened to Kalos in whatever time gap the decide for.

Honestly whatever further project they decide to do, one thing is needed in my opinion. The crappy, horrible, monstrosity that is the Battle Maison needs to be replaced. My Ideal would be to have the Battle frontier back. They've hinted at it multiple times in the last few games, and it was sorely missed in ORAS. Maybe they could introduce it in Pokemon Z as a attempt by Hoenn to share some of is customs with Kalos, Like Kalos did when introducing the Battle Maison to Hoenn

NNID
GateThief
3DS FC
1719-4174-7629
Honestly I don't see this happening but I want either a HD remake of Pokemon Snap or a sequel to it for either the 3ds or the WiiU. Though it's most likely going to be Pokemon Z that is coming out next due to all the stuff going on with Zygarde recently.

I'd love to see Diamond & Pearl remakes, but I agree with Firus, Pokemon Z should come next (and most likely will very soon, judging by new Zygarde forms), since the last games we got were remakes.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I want to see a new game in the Colosseum/ Gale of Darkness series.
This would be a very acceptable and desirable alternative to any of the other things I discussed. I love Colosseum and XD and I'd kill to see that type of game get continued.

Unfortunately I forget about even mentioning such a possibility anymore because I feel like that line of games is dead and won't get picked up again.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
This would be a very acceptable and desirable alternative to any of the other things I discussed. I love Colosseum and XD and I'd kill to see that type of game get continued.

Unfortunately I forget about even mentioning such a possibility anymore because I feel like that line of games is dead and won't get picked up again.
It's wishful thinking, I know. Battle Revolution for the Wii kinda killed my hope of ever getting a decent console Pokemon game again. I think it's something that could revitalize the series though.

The series is so formulaic, another Colosseum would definitely spice things up a bit.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
I would love to see 4th gen reimagined, but it's way too soon IMO. The last main series games we got in the franchise were remakes and it would be an odd decision for Nintendo to do more remakes immediately after. At the very soonest the remakes should come after new main series games in the seventh gen, but since we skipped a generation with remakes in gen 5 it could be longer too.
I'm not exactly sure how this all works, but if the last game (ORAS) was a remake, is it still possible for Nintendo to release "Z" next (since it is a remake of X/Y)? If Generation 7 is made next, however, what would most likely follow, Z or D/P remakes?

It's wishful thinking, I know. Battle Revolution for the Wii kinda killed my hope of ever getting a decent console Pokemon game again. I think it's something that could revitalize the series though.

The series is so formulaic, another Colosseum would definitely spice things up a bit.
I agree with you guys. I never played Colosseum, but XD was definitely more unique than some Pokémon games. If it got picked up, I don't feel like it would get much attention due to how long it has been since release.

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
I'm not exactly sure how this all works, but if the last game (ORAS) was a remake, is it still possible for Nintendo to release "Z" next (since it is a remake of X/Y)? If Generation 7 is made next, however, what would most likely follow, Z or D/P remakes?

I agree with you guys. I never played Colosseum, but XD was definitely more unique than some Pokémon games. If it got picked up, I don't feel like it would get much attention due to how long it has been since release.
They weren't very well received when they came out, I don't think a sequel would fare much better.

Last edited:

atreyujames

NNID
Atreyujames
I can almost say for certain that Z would not be a remake =P. Emerald, Platinum, and B2/W2 were follow-ups, not remakes. I see no reason to think Z would be any different?

Last edited:

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Like atreyujames atreyujames said, the "third versions" aren't so much remakes as sequels. Remakes typically take a relatively old game, or at least one that's outdated in some sense, and bring it up to date with the technology available now that wasn't available at release, or mechanics that didn't exist at the time. X/Y aren't really old enough for a third version to qualify for that; it's just added content, expansions on the legendary Pokemon (new formes and the like), and typically an offshoot of the plot involving a legendary Pokemon that wasn't previously important to the plot. They have released remakes and "third versions" next to each other (as in, no other main series games are released between them) in the past with Emerald and FR/LG as well as Platinum and HG/SS (although Platinum was released before HG/SS, which is something I hadn't thought about until I double-checked it), so it wouldn't be a change of pace for them to do so.

If they were to go straight to generation 7 next, then...I'd question if Z ever comes at all, as we have no precedent for a case like that. So I'd bet on D/P remakes before I'd bet on Z in that scenario. However, I doubt that will happen, particularly since third versions are a pretty easy cash-in and I don't see them missing out on that opportunity.

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
Z is definitely guaranteed with those new Zygarde forms being revealed.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned R/B remakes. I mean, after all, 2016 is the 20th anniversary of Pokemon. I wouldn't be too surprised if we got Z, then Gen 7/R/B remakes (vice versa), and then whatever is down the road. However, one could easily make the argument that we already have R/B remakes in the form of FR/LG and further "disprove" the R/B 3D remake possibility. But, eh, you know Nintendo. They certainly have done some insane things.

So, yeah. Z is pretty much guaranteed and anything after Z should be taken with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Gen 7 please. I want this Gen to end right now. Too bad that won't happen.

I can almost say for certain that Z would not be a remake =P. Emerald, Platinum, and B2/W2 were follow-ups, not remakes. I see no reason to think Z would be any different?
Emerald and Platinum were remakes. B2/ W2 were the only actual "follow ups", since they were actual new games.

:094:

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Emerald and Platinum were remakes. B2/ W2 were the only actual "follow ups", since they were actual new games.

:094:
That may be how you define them and you could sort of make that argument, but the "third versions" have never been commonly referred to as remakes. BW2 were definitely more of a significant shift than any of the others, but Emerald and Platinum both had a decent amount of added content and changes made to the existing content. Remakes generally recreate an old game with new technology and attempt to emulate the original experience, and that's not what Emerald and Platinum do.

atreyujames

NNID
Atreyujames
I had this long drawn out post... Then Firus went and said basically what I was gonna say =P

Top Bottom