• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where is Wario in the current metagame?

IOMeS | SUDS

Smash Rookie
NNID
Danatom1c
This is a question I have been thinking about recently. I think that Wario is one of the best characters in the game. I think he has a good matchup spread with the rest of the high tiers, and I think he does well against large threats such as Fox, Lucario, Falcon, Falco and Wolf. I really don't see any overall flaws in Wario, and he has a large amount of kill moves like B-Air, U-Air, Side B, Waft, F-Throw and F-Smash. He has one of the best (if not, the best) command grabs in the game being Chomp, and it's ability to throw Forward or backwards can lead into many confirms, such as Chomp F-Throw > F-Air > Waft. He also has one of the best (again, if not, the best) DACUS's in the game, and it is a very reliable approach that is hard for the opponent to react to. Unfortunately, Wario is beaten by characters that have a large range advantage over him, such as Marth. However, I still think Wario is at least, a top 10 character in the current metagame. Feel free post your thoughts below, and maybe even ideas about Wario play, how to get around his bad matchups, secondaries that compliment him or various tips and tricks you have discovered.

Thanks,
~ IOMeS | SUDS
Wario Main
Twitter: @sarcastrus

Last edited:

Froggerka

Smash Cadet
Jeez, I'm late. Anyway, Wario belongs much higher on the tier list than he is currently. Something that I discovered from gameplay and a few clips on YouTube was angling his Side-B upwards to recover above the ledge. The armor neutralizes almost every move and can be a very easy mixup if the opponent doesn't expect it. On the flipside, you can safely recover to the ledge by angling it down if you're expecting an edgeguard.

Basically, Wario players need to adapt to a playstyle and use their moves to counter it. Any poke landed combos into a free 30-60% at the start of the match, and from there on, only a few more hits will open up an opportunity to take a stock.

RedTheMage

Smash Rookie
I feel like Wario is under used in tourneys,just because people think that his matchup's aren't good. I believe as though Wario has some of the best matchup's and the most in his favor than any other charactor.

vertime

Smash Apprentice
I have a friend that exclusively uses Wario simply for the "Gooooo!"
Even if he isn't exactly the best character, with a bit of practice he's just as viable as other characters with the added bonus of being slightly more annoying.
Besides, this is Project M! Everything is viable in one way or another.

Froggerka

Smash Cadet
Wario actually has a good chance at gimping Fox, Falco and Wolf, so why would he NOT be tournament viable? Dair is underused as a recovery tool as well. If the opponent tries to go deep for an edgeguard while under you, that's a free dair, and most likely a stock! Plus, it sends you back up a bit if it lands.

Also, one of my friends solo-mains Wario now because of Side-B. I feel accomplished. GO!

Last edited:
Top Bottom