• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where is the Invincibility on Up Smash?

TheUndeadReturns

Smash Cadet
NNID
House0fFastFood
So yeah there's the title.

According to some Melee hitboxes, there's 15 hurtboxes for Mr. Game & Watch. One for each limb. This includes his fat nose.

According to some data I found in a community dump, Mr. Game & Watch's usmash has what seems to be 5 different invincibility boxes for this move.

(source: "063 - ATTACKHI4 - BF7EF5B8", http://opensa.dantarion.com/s4/mastercore3/dump/160/gamewatch)
AsynchronousTimer(4.000000)#frame 4
unk_F13BFE8D(0x13, 0x1)
unk_F13BFE8D(0x17, 0x1)
unk_F13BFE8D(0x16, 0x1)
unk_F13BFE8D(0x14, 0x1)
unk_F13BFE8D(0xa, 0x1)

Of course these could mean something else but for the sake of simplicity and the fact that no other move he has contains these lines of code, we'll just assume this is where the magic happens. So? Which hurtboxes in particular have the affect?

Going off of this Melee visual, we're going to assume that at least two of the hurtboxes are part of Mr. Game & Watch's head and nose. So what about the other three? Based off of my own experiences, and the fact that it would have to be even (ruling out the idea that instead of the nose hurtbox, it's an extra arm limb or something stupid), I think I've been able to narrow it down, with this in mind.

Very stupidly and lazily done, but this should basically show where it is. As even as it gets. Both upper arms, body, head, and nose (which is 5 of course).

Again I could be dead-wrong, (in fact the move could actually just add invincible defensive hurtboxes, just because of how inconsistent the move can be) but this seems to be the most compelling reasoning for where it is out there, not just "I've seen x happen in my experience" and such. It's also assumed these hurtboxes take priority over others, so if a move comes in contact with say, a leg and a body hurtbox on the same frame, the invincibility would take affect.

Also it's green because invincibility hurtboxes are green, intangibility is blue.

Last edited:

steuben

Smash Cadet
NNID
steuben
Switch FC
SW-3172-1265-3244
Furil has G&W on the list to have his hitboxes visualized. i can't wait!!

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
oops, knew I forgot to reply to something weeks ago

The invincible parts of his body are his head, torso, and front arm/hand/foot. Basically he's safe from anything that isn't going to hit the leg he's standing on or the arm behind him, which might actually mean the move is safer to use facing forward than pivoting it for the helmet.

Image with bubbles tied to invincible bones:

(looking into this explains a lot of times I've lost to usmash when I didn't expect it to beat things out)

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.

The invincible parts of his body are his head, torso, and front arm/hand/foot. Basically he's safe from anything that isn't going to hit the leg he's standing on or the arm behind him, which might actually mean the move is safer to use facing forward than pivoting it for the helmet.

(looking into this explains a lot of times I've lost to usmash when I didn't expect it to beat things out)
It's kinda hard to see the head bubble.
How did you do this by the way?

Last edited:

TheUndeadReturns

Smash Cadet
NNID
House0fFastFood

Yeah I saw this earlier. It's really interesting, and I agree how it certainly explains a lot of why the move is unreliable at times. Instantaneous hitboxes (or ones that are just really fast) and appear on both a hurtbox and the invinco will get eaten, but if it's something slow like a lingering hitbox or a projectile, it'll hit the head first and beat out the invinco.

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
Great info here this explains why my upsmash beats random moves like gannons downtilt n stuff

Top Bottom