• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where do I go from here?

IAmAUser

Smash Cadet
I'm playing Smash, I think I'm learning pretty well, and I don't know where to go next. As in, I want to get better, but I don't know how. I only have one friend to play against. Where do I go from here?

To give an approximation of my skill level:

1. I main Marth and am also good at Falcon, Shiek, Fox, and Samus.
  2. I can wavedash consistantly, but don't know how it'll help my game.
  3. I can hit someone with a SH+Knee with Falcon, but only about 40% of the time.
  4. I cannot chain throw consistantly.
  5. I almost always L-cancel and tech, but am unable to edge tech.
  6. It was really hard for me to get a No Damage Clear in Classic, but I managed it with Marth.
  7. I got the Giga Bowser trophy and the Crazy Hand trophy at the same time, but that also took a while.
  8. I love dash-cancelled C-stick F-smashes with Marth, but I try not to spam it.
  9. My edge guarding stinks.
  10. I can usually beat one lv. 9 computer against me, but not always. :ohwell:
  11. I'm the best in my area, but haven't ever played someone who used stuff like l-cancelling and wavedashing.

Anything else you might need to know? I really want to improve at this game.

dguy6789

Smash Lord
I suggest looking for tournaments that are at least somewhat near your area. Chances are, there are at least a couple within a few hours drive from your location. They are the best way to improve your game. You are in for a real treat if you have not actually played against someone who really knows what they are doing.

Sadnap

Smash Cadet
Ask around for people that play. If you're in college, every other bro has a gamecube in their dorms for obvious reasons.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
If your having trouble beating one level nine comp you have some stuff to learn but i agree with the others, play other people that may be any kind of decent and you will be all set.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
You can do all that and u sometimes have trouble with comps??? Anyway, try introducing other gamers. Go easy on them so they don't get overwhelmed (smash can do that) teach them stuff they need to know, and get them to your level. Even if they never do get that good, you can get better at smash just by teaching it to other people.

And learn the tendencies of those comps!!!

Ultra Nova

Smash Apprentice
You should go to the regional forum room and try to find people who live close to you. That's how I found some more people to play against.

Elen

Smash Lord
Until you find some new people to play, practice all the advanced techs until you can do them without thinking :p

Fletch

Smash Master
Just give it time, everything will start to come naturally, and most importantly, find people to play.

IAmAUser

Smash Cadet
Each comp seems to have a different style, and I usually play Fox, as I find him the hardest. I don't play them if I can avoid it (which doesn't happen very often), as I'm afraid I'd get too used to them (I already find myself charging smashes to edgeguard.) I get used to playing a lv. 9 Fox, and then proceed to be owned by lv. 9 Dr. Mario.

As for going to tournaments, I prefer to remain anonymous and am unwilling to go to another player's house, as I don't know what kind of people will be there. There is a game store nearby that holds tournaments regularly, but it costs a bit more money than I'd like to spend. I only have one competant player that I know and play against — everyone else falls to my mad n00bular skills. I do think I'm pretty good at adapting to other people's style, however.

If the only option is solo training (I'm afraid it is), then what should I do?

marthsword

Smash Ace
To keep this simple, computers don't mean anything. Level 9's are n00b spammers from hell who only make you worse from their spamming and insanely weird fighting style. If you have no one to play against, practice combos and techs in training mode or against a level 1 computer. Level 1's have better DIx 10, and don't spam and have weird playing styles. Training mode is good, but you can't use the C Stick, which you should get use to doing. I never used it, and I probably could be better if I did.

Check the regional Zones of where you live for competitive smashing, and have fun with the game!

Klowne

Smash Journeyman
Each comp seems to have a different style, and I usually play Fox, as I find him the hardest. I don't play them if I can avoid it (which doesn't happen very often), as I'm afraid I'd get too used to them (I already find myself charging smashes to edgeguard.) I get used to playing a lv. 9 Fox, and then proceed to be owned by lv. 9 Dr. Mario.

As for going to tournaments, I prefer to remain anonymous and am unwilling to go to another player's house, as I don't know what kind of people will be there. There is a game store nearby that holds tournaments regularly, but it costs a bit more money than I'd like to spend. I only have one competant player that I know and play against — everyone else falls to my mad n00bular skills. I do think I'm pretty good at adapting to other people's style, however.

I'd suggest devoting some time every once in a while to playing against a level 1 computer and practicing shffling, wavedashing, dash dancing, and chaingrabbing until it's like a second nature. Once it doesn't seem akward* to you, the ability to apply wavedashing properly in a match becomes pretty natural.

The rest is just getting a good mindset and properly dealing with other people's playstyles.

*This doesn't mean just being able to wavedash repeatedly across final destination. Try to wavedash back and forth into and after SHFFLs or smashes for practice.

btk Ace

Smash Apprentice
Really all you need to do is practice that stuff in battle and use it.
go to some tornements and meet some people
you will defintiley get better that way

**** everything in your path is another helpful hint

dnilb

Smash Cadet

I'm almost in the same situation. Me and a friend that I live with are the only decent people around (and he doesn't want to learn advanced stuff either so...). I might go to tournaments if I can get all advanced techs to run smoothly in my gameplay, or if I just get bored with fighting levels 1s I might try a tournament. They shouldn't cost THAT much.
But I'm trying to get more and more of my OLD smash friends to play and get better..but it's just not working.

oh well - just have to wait for brawl I guess.

Banksya

Smash Ace
find at least one person who can beat you, and play with him until u can beat him all the time, then move on up to someone better. the chain of goodiness.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
I'm almost in the same situation. Me and a friend that I live with are the only decent people around (and he doesn't want to learn advanced stuff either so...). I might go to tournaments if I can get all advanced techs to run smoothly in my gameplay, or if I just get bored with fighting levels 1s I might try a tournament. They shouldn't cost THAT much.
But I'm trying to get more and more of my OLD smash friends to play and get better..but it's just not working.

oh well - just have to wait for brawl I guess.
lol! im in a similar situation too!

Knux

Smash Rookie
LOL, you're in like an exact same situation, Goateeguy! (I know him in RL, so this is how I know this). The good friend is like Germ (not the one on these forums, the person in RL also goes by Germ), and everyone else is like the old smash friends.

Front Smash King

Smash Rookie
Work on your edge guard, ALWAYS work on wave dash it can get rusty, you should lose to a lvl 9 comp. when your not tryin .01% of the time, but try to play humans alot, they change style mid battle and dont always power sheild. edge tech is hard but do-able.

Top Bottom