• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Where can I get melee for cheap?

NickD02

Smash Rookie
NNID
MyNameIsNotNick
I haven't been able to play melee for myself yet. I've tried running it on an emulator, but my laptop drastically reduces the frame rate, literally slowing down the game. It's almost like brawl. I've got a GC controller and a Wii to run it on, so I won't need anything else. I really hope to be able to play melee from someone who plays smash 4's perspective.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Install Homebrew on your Wii, install Nintendont, and load up melee through SD card/ USB (Google for walkthroughs). Also remember to turn on native control in settings.

This is much cheaper then buying a disc which is usually quite expensive.

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
There's nowhere that it's readily available for cheap. There are always copies on eBay and places like that but they're usually expensive; it's always possible you'll run into a good deal though. If you get lucky you can find it at a low price from a family member or friend, or from a garage sale or something.

Since you already have an .iso and a Wii, all you have to do is mod the Wii and install a USB loader; you don't need a disc.

A lot (I want to say most) of the people who started playing in the last few years who didn't already happen to have a disc just pirated it and ran it on a homebrewed Wii. When you're playing on your own you want to use the 20XX hack pack, which requires a modded Wii and a modified NTSC 1.02 .iso (assuming it's the correct version). Because of this, if you do get a disc you'll probably end up only using it to bring to tournaments and to rip the .iso from to make the 20XX pack .iso. In fact, since it's about as easy to pirate an .iso as it is to rip your own, you might not even bother ripping it and pirate it anyway instead.

Last edited:

Tyjira

Smash Rookie
I just bit the bullet and bought one off eBay for 60.00 complete.

Honestly, unless you get lucky from maybe a garage sale or maybe a Goodwill you probably wont have a choice but pay current prices. Might get lucky on Clist or something but most people know what things are worth on there. Or perhaps the homebrew method if you don't have a GC.

Last edited:

Kadae

Lover of Tea
For anyone living in Australia and looking for a good deal, I've seen some relatively cheap copies of the game being sold on Gumtree in the past, so I'd recommend taking a look there.

Fester

Smash Rookie
if for w/e reason u cant download 20xx or hack ur wii, check local game stores. got my copy a few yrs ago for 50 usd... not exactly cheap, but bttr then what u see online

iMgod

Smash Rookie
NNID
ParaPopulace
I haven't been able to play melee for myself yet. I've tried running it on an emulator, but my laptop drastically reduces the frame rate, literally slowing down the game. It's almost like brawl. I've got a GC controller and a Wii to run it on, so I won't need anything else. I really hope to be able to play melee from someone who plays smash 4's perspective.
Yeah, your best bet is to softmod your wii, and then install Nintendont. Once you do that, put the Melee .iso onto a USB or your SD card, and play it from there. Melee discs are not at all cheap, so it would be best just to boot the .iso for free.

Top Bottom