• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WHERE ARE YOU AT DIDDY'S?[updated and stuff :)]

b1anK

Smash Apprentice

Found this on photobucket and thought it would be funny..

This thread is specifically targeting common issues amongst Diddy Kong players and changing these problems thus improving the metagame.

HABITS

Something I've noticed in Diddy Kong players more than any character as of recently is repetition habits. Sure you can find out a Meta knights play style if they keep doing the same things over, but with Diddy it can really ruin your match if you become predictable. I believe this was metioned in a thread called The
Dangers of Autopilot
but I'm bringing this topic up again because it's almost plague like lately.

Little habits like pulling out 2 bananas at the edge of the map always can be predicted in a match. It definitely seems like a sure fire way of getting your weapons of mass destruction out ,but what if your opponent gets smart? What if they notice and grab the first banana then as you z catch and throw the second banana at them, they've already thrown down the first banana and are now catching your second banana?

Change things up.

How about double jump in the center of the stage and pull out both bananas and fall with them as a change up. Then you have center stage control as well! Try it, it's over 9000 i swear.

Another example of this reptition is ROLL DODGING. Just because Diddy's roll dodge isn't that bad doesn't mean use it as a new form of transportation. WE GOT FEET YA KNOW.

8-27-09

STALENESS

Ever eat Cheetos that have been open i the pantry for 6 months? You get a lackluster bite when you put it in your mouth. This is called "stale". This lack of umph occurs with every characters moves in this game, it was meant to prevent spam and stale playing styles. With Diddy this really does kill your kill moves since Fsmash is used quite commonly to rack damage. Most of the time when you watch someones videos for them to critique the one thing I always bring up is the pummel. ONE pummel refreshes your moveset. That's all it takes folks. Land a banana on him, grab him, and hit that grab button one more time. Just do it :chuckle:.

KILL SEEKING

Hello everyone, welcome to Brawl a.k.a. the game of patience. Playing the monkey Diddy Kong; we are equipped with free tripping and some peanuts.
A problem I often run into myself is when you're playing against someone and they're a TANK at like 150%,170% etc. and they just don't die! You get desperate and start chasing them down with Fairs with out any bananas on you and you get caught in something stupid like Snake's ftilt combo or a D3 chaingrab. Sit tight guys. Just shoot peanuts and have bananas out, he's gonna mess up sooner or later and get caught in an fsmash/dsmash set up.

Will edit + add more sections as they come... :bee:

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Rolling in general is not a diddy thing, but the first thing you pointed out is a good observation. I usually don't always start the matchup with double bananas, but sometimes i do. I have never gotten punished for it, but when I do ill be sure to mix it up.

Something I've seen some diddy's do is Glidetoss to shield and grab. Somtimes it works sometimes it doesn't. You're opponent can shield grab you before you grab them, unless their grab range is horrendous. Never do this to a d3 :(. I used to do this and now i peanut after every glidetoss to shield.

b1anK

Smash Apprentice
yeah rolling was sort of general.

but like I have a friend that always glidetosses down and then glidetosses forward. Never fails. It's good for mindgames at first but then once I noticed it when playing as my MK i would wait for the gt down and then SH Zcatch the banana. It's all about changing things up that make Diddy and extremely hard character to play against.

SilverDoc~

Smash Lord
Player1 roll dodges a lot, I've seen him lose important matches like that.

ADHD, Le Thien, Nanerz, TC1, Gnes, Fliphop, and of course AlphaZealot, do not roll dodge.

Thats why they get the placings you do, and diddys roll dodge is only good when you have bananas in front of you and you want to roll away from someone but into the bananas, its pretty smart, but if read its risky.

b1anK

Smash Apprentice

ADHD, Le Thien, Nanerz, TC1, Gnes, Fliphop, and of course AlphaZealot, do not roll dodge.

Thats why they get the placings you do, and diddys roll dodge is only good when you have bananas in front of you and you want to roll away from someone but into the bananas, its pretty smart, but if read its risky.
true story

I find roll dodging away from snakes ftilt/utilt range useful as well.

Player-1

Smash Legend

I roll waaaaaaaaaaaaay more on wifi than I do offline and there aren't any current vids of me up offline, so I don't think you would know.

And AZ does roll a lot...I'm pretty sure AZ has become on of the most notorious Diddy's for rolling too much, but based on his most recent vids (everything after Genesis) he's been improving it A LOT

M@v

Subarashii!
People roll on wifi more because its a lot easier to get away with. btw hi diddy boards.

b1anK

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure AZ has become on of the most notorious Diddy's for rolling too much, but based on his most recent vids (everything after Genesis) he's been improving it A LOT
This I have seen. I could get a video example but I'm too lazy.

People roll on wifi more because its a lot easier to get away with. btw hi diddy boards.
Hi Mav :3

Hobs

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, an Ike friend always charging an u-smash when I'm at the edge, and I roll into it.

A common thing I've been doing over and over is gt forward to grab. My playing fails when they just shield grab (Olimar especially with Pikmin everywhere.)

ChocoNaner

Smash Journeyman
You forgot the decaying of smashes. It's a habit almost all new didds players seem to have. Other than that, getting out of the rolling habit is priority #1, smart players will wreck you if your ground movement consists mostly of rolls. I've gotten out of most of my bad habits, though overconfidence still likes to watch me suffer. <<

b1anK

Smash Apprentice
You forgot the decaying of smashes. It's a habit almost all new didds players seem to have. Other than that, getting out of the rolling habit is priority #1, smart players will wreck you if your ground move consists mostly of rolls. I've gotten out of most of my bad habits, though overconfidence still likes to watch me suffer. <<
yeah there's plenty of habits I forgot to put in just because I wanted this thread fairly brief just to remind people so they get the point they gotta change things up.

thanks for pointin' that out though :chuckle:.

fZk

Smash Lord
I think the number one Diddy killer is attacking and rushing shields. Be careful with that dash attack Diddies.

I also think the aggresiveness should be toned down, today's metagame favours a more campy, patient and smarter Diddy. Once you get momentum go with it, but don't force it, sometimes is better to reset, retreat and start over.

b1anK

Smash Apprentice
I think the number one Diddy killer is attacking and rushing shields. Be careful with that dash attack Diddies.

I also think the aggresiveness should be toned down, today's metagame favours a more campy, patient and smarter Diddy. Once you get momentum go with it, but don't force it, sometimes is better to reset, retreat and start over.
yes and no

theres Diddy's that just go out and play very aggressive and it works. This game is heading into a campy overall playstyle as of recently but diddy can play camp and aggro when he has to.

Rushing after shields with dash attack does get punished :ohwell:. Usually i see that happen when the Diddy is trying to pickup and banana on the ground in front of their opponent.

fZk

Smash Lord
yes and no

theres Diddy's that just go out and play very aggressive and it works. This game is heading into a campy overall playstyle as of recently but diddy can play camp and aggro when he has to.
That's exactly what I'm saying, if the momentum is going in your favor play aggressive but also you have to realize when to step back and camp with peanuts a bananas to regain momentum, if lost. But you're right, when working, an aggressive Diddy is definitely the best option, it just may not work against all opponents.

Top Bottom