• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When would you say the best times to approach are?

Gravitirax

Smash Cadet
I was playing friendlies one day and I noticed I get punished a lot for approaching at the wrong times. (eg. approaching with nair when they shield.) What are the best ways and times to approach, in your opinion?

NonSequtur

Smash Cadet
After they do something punishable. Also, approaching with aerials is pretty risky. Stay on the ground and grab, then either toss them up to juggle or off to finish. If they aren't being easily punished poke at them with d-tilt. If they stay in the air then swat at them, you have a sword.

DJ _ICE

Smash Apprentice
If Umbreon were here, he would say approaching with aerials is one of the worst things you can do for Marth, attacking someone grounded with aerials isn't good at all. Wait for them to mess up with dash dancing and dtilt pokes and when the moment arises (through a block or whiff), most of the time you should go for a grab to start something.

гυιη

Smash Cadet
NNID
Unique
3DS FC
5198-2442-2813
Never approach first with marth. Wait for an opportunity to punish an attack from an opponent. I quit trying to play marth because it was boring to be so defensive and patient all the time but thats what you need to do if you want to succeed with marth. downtilt, dashdance, tipper punishment, shield-grabbing, and shorthop double-fair were my best friends then.

Gravitirax

Smash Cadet
Never approach first with marth. Wait for an opportunity to punish an attack from an opponent. I quit trying to play marth because it was boring to be so defensive and patient all the time but thats what you need to do if you want to succeed with marth. downtilt, dashdance, tipper punishment, shield-grabbing, and shorthop double-fair were my best friends then.
Say they were just spamming lasers or something. Would I still just wait? Maybe powershield or something?

NonSequtur

Smash Cadet
Powershield, use platforms, Wavedash oos... there are options. If they can be clanked, jab. If you are in the lead you can pull a M2K and ledgestall. A space animal will probably be wary about approaching Marth by the edge.

Last edited:

SAUS

Smash Ace
Approaching with marth is different from someone like a space animal. With marth, taking the first move is very risky (minus a few moves like d-tilt and the occasional grab), so you don't want to just run in there and attack. Instead, you want to slowly corner your opponent with the huge amount of space you control and then punish them when they try to get out of the corner (or if they try to get away before getting cornered).

If you don't know how much space marth controls, put a marth and fox into the game and pause it. Then just imagine how much area each character can cover in roughly half a second with their attacks. Do the same for when marth is jumping, and when marth is shielding. Also keep in mind how disjointed marth's attacks are, so the area he threatens is very dangerous to enter.

xCardiac

Smash Apprentice
Well, nooching (nair) on a shield is what not to do! If you're oponent's shield happy, i'd say , for that exact scenario, empty sh into a grab!

Approaching w marth is hard, but look for lag from missed attacks, when the opponent is above you, or even let them come to you and punish OoS! Hope i've helped at all. (Of course some of this is char. dependant.)

Russy

Russydorf of Cincy
Well, nooching (nair) on a shield is what not to do! If you're oponent's shield happy, i'd say , for that exact scenario, empty sh into a grab!

Approaching w marth is hard, but look for lag from missed attacks, when the opponent is above you, or even let them come to you and punish OoS! Hope i've helped at all. (Of course some of this is char. dependant.)
I love that people are using nooching in regular smash talk now

D

Deleted member

always approach. hunt them down and **** them, kill them, and eat their fucking controller. if you lose, keep doing it anyway until you get better. marth is super aggressive and really bad on defense, but you have to do it right which is something that only experience can teach you. just tell yourself "getting ***** is the best part about this game" and don't care when you'll lose and you'll be trashing people in no time.

KingDozie

Smash Journeyman
always approach. hunt them down and **** them, kill them, and eat their fucking controller. if you lose, keep doing it anyway until you get better. marth is super aggressive and really bad on defense, but you have to do it right which is something that only experience can teach you. just tell yourself "getting ***** is the best part about this game" and don't care when you'll lose and you'll be trashing people in no time.
Man this post Lol

Top Bottom