• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When to Use Smash Attacks?

• Thread starter Deleted member 269706
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 269706

Hey guys, long time Falcon player here. I've been participating in some weeklies in my area as Falcon, and I usually place pretty high (top 5 for the last 4 week). Problem is, I tend to have a lot of trouble getting kills with moves other than bair, dair, or raptor boost. Dsmash and Fsmash are both amazing kill moves, but I can't find the right time to throw them out in high level play. So my question is, how do you guys use smash attacks? What are some relatively safe situations to throw out these moves where you probably won't be punished?

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Fsmash : mid range punisher when people think they're smart throwing out footsies while staying immobile.
Dsmash : covers a lot of options when the opponent is on the ledge (everything except jump actually)
Usmash : tech chase people that roll away, the first hitbox can also connect on people that grab the ledge with good timing.

That's just off the top of my head.

TheSausXL

Smash Cadet
All of C.Falcon's smash attacks are pretty situational so these are the ways I use them:

You are not gonna hit someone with The People's Elbow very often, but when you do, you know it's gonna do big damage. The best ways I get free fsmashes are from locks. The easiest lock set up is dash-fthrow -> dair or pivot ftilt on the missed tech. If you do that, you have a free, partially charged fsmash and you'll end up getting almost 40% from the start of the match. The set up isn't guaranteed though.

Other than that, the only way I land fsmash is from HARD BOILED READS. Against a recovering opponent, just hold down A at the ledge to condition them to do a ledge roll, then turn around and slam them with the godly elbow.

Some people don't know that you can actually do an fsmash directly from a dash by waiting for the end of the dash and fsmashing the other direction. It's easiest to do while foxtrotting and using A to smash. This makes fsmash really versatile so it makes it easier to land one while reading landings or rolls.

Down Smash is awesome to use almost anytime to use while near someone because of its decent speed, range, power, and doesn't have a lot of lag for a smash attack. The best place to use it is on someone against the ledge. They can roll away, so they either take the hit from the front, block or spot dodge the hit from the front, or roll and get hit. It aplies a good bit of pressure here but it's pretty good to use anywhere IMO.

I don't use up smash too much, but it can be useful after fthrow at low percents or at the ledge. I know it's probably better than we think though.

Just some ideas on some situations in which to use these. They work pretty well for me, another long time Falcon player, so I'm sure someone with your skill can put these to use.

:4falcon:Falcon be with you:4falcon:

D

Deleted member 269706

All of C.Falcon's smash attacks are pretty situational so these are the ways I use them:

You are not gonna hit someone with The People's Elbow very often, but when you do, you know it's gonna do big damage. The best ways I get free fsmashes are from locks. The easiest lock set up is dash-fthrow -> dair or pivot ftilt on the missed tech. If you do that, you have a free, partially charged fsmash and you'll end up getting almost 40% from the start of the match. The set up isn't guaranteed though.

Other than that, the only way I land fsmash is from HARD BOILED READS. Against a recovering opponent, just hold down A at the ledge to condition them to do a ledge roll, then turn around and slam them with the godly elbow.

Some people don't know that you can actually do an fsmash directly from a dash by waiting for the end of the dash and fsmashing the other direction. It's easiest to do while foxtrotting and using A to smash. This makes fsmash really versatile so it makes it easier to land one while reading landings or rolls.

Down Smash is awesome to use almost anytime to use while near someone because of its decent speed, range, power, and doesn't have a lot of lag for a smash attack. The best place to use it is on someone against the ledge. They can roll away, so they either take the hit from the front, block or spot dodge the hit from the front, or roll and get hit. It aplies a good bit of pressure here but it's pretty good to use anywhere IMO.

I don't use up smash too much, but it can be useful after fthrow at low percents or at the ledge. I know it's probably better than we think though.

Just some ideas on some situations in which to use these. They work pretty well for me, another long time Falcon player, so I'm sure someone with your skill can put these to use.

:4falcon:Falcon be with you:4falcon:
Thanks for the reply man. I used to use them a lot more, then I got really into the competitive scene and we have a lot of players who space WAYY too much so it feels like throwing this stuff out is never safe and I only get punished for it, but hearing some actual advice is really helpful. Anyways, really appreciate the response. Falcon be with you!

TheSausXL

Smash Cadet
Glad I could help my dude. But yeah the way I see Falcon's smash attacks is you throw them out on occasion and if they hit, there's a good chance they are dead, and if not, you could be punished hard. It's a nice little gamble to take while fighting. And besides, you have a lot more moves to kill with so its not like you are relying on them or anything. But anyway, good luck and I hope you crush all who oppose you.

Swagmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
supersonicbros.2
Up smash is good for roll reads or missed tech combos. It's also in what i call "the spot" for Jigglypuff. This spot is where Jigglypuff almost always tries to enter with f-airs. It works really well.

Down smash is also good for roll reads and covers all options on the ledge except jump get up or staying on the ledge. If you condition your opponent to always jump get up off the ledge, knee them.

Forward smash, as TheSausXL said, is a HARD BOILED READ. It can also punish rolls, but not as well as down smash. It should be noted that the elbow's range is deceptively large. And should be used when down smash is barely out of range.

Husk94

Smash Rookie
Fsmash has a big hit box. I mostly use it to catch landings if I think they'll land with an arial (usually pivot fsmash). Doing it against a grounded opponent can be a lot more risky since they can sheild and hard punish u. I also use it if I think the opponent will roll on stage because I'm covering other options by holding jab. I think upsmash beats spot dodges but I don't use it much

Top Bottom