• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When to use Jigglypuff's wavedash? (if at all)

WaterInAGlass

Smash Rookie
I want to improve on playing puff and I wanted to know from any experienced puffs is there any practical use for her wavedash?

Massive

Smash Champion
Wavedashing is a good positioning tool after throws as well as for ledgehogs and Out of Shield (OoS) shenanigans.
You can also use it to punish dashdance approaches (wavedash back > whatever).

Waveland is honestly more useful for puff, since it allows you to avoid getting locked on a platform a bit more easily, but wavedash is pretty nice too. The only character I can think of who doesn't outright benefit from their wavedash is Bowser, everybody else can at least benefit from it as OoS option.

Last edited:

Mtank

Smash Cadet
I think of wavedashing as a lot less of a character tool as it is just a pure fundamental. Wavedashing is useful on every character. But nonetheless, wavedashing as a jigglypuff has many uses. 1. wavedash oos to punish smash attacks that just knocked you out of distance for a grab. 2. wavedash backward. I cannot tell you how simple this is but man does it work. if you can read your opponents approach patterns just wavedash back and forward smash. easy, yet op af. 3. if a c.falcon is approaching you, just wavedash under that dude. all of a sudden you take center stage and falcon is closer to the edge. I could go on, but you will find maaaaany uses for wavedash as a jiggly puff. p.s. wavedashing also imroves jigglypuffs ground game significantly, which is a necessary strategy in some matches (falcon, fox).

abuufnar

Smash Rookie
I think of wavedashing as a lot less of a character tool as it is just a pure fundamental. Wavedashing is useful on every character. But nonetheless, wavedashing as a jigglypuff has many uses. 1. wavedash oos to punish smash attacks that just knocked you out of distance for a grab. 2. wavedash backward. I cannot tell you how simple this is but man does it work. if you can read your opponents approach patterns just wavedash back and forward smash. easy, yet op af. 3. if a c.falcon is approaching you, just wavedash under that dude. all of a sudden you take center stage and falcon is closer to the edge. I could go on, but you will find maaaaany uses for wavedash as a jiggly puff. p.s. wavedashing also imroves jigglypuffs ground game significantly, which is a necessary strategy in some matches (falcon, fox).
^
Jigglypuffs wavedash is also extremely deadly if you've already rested them that match, a smart player will try to play around rest, and simply wavedashing in and out of their personal space will most likely force them into shield, especially against characters like marth and shiek where crouch cancel rests are a very large threat to them.

The Young Izzy Iz

Smash Apprentice
The puff can duck some taller characters JC grabs and, if done so in a timely manner, can follow up with approaching wavedash into rest for low percent kills. Obviously to do this though you need to be extremely cognizant of the situation and have the option in mind because the timing is pretty split-second.

TheGoolick

Smash Rookie
I'll add in that it's good for getting past falco's lasers. If he doesn't shoot them at the lowest height, puff's wavedash will squeeze under them :)

chrbir5

Smash Cadet
I've been using it all the time since I figured out how to finally neutral game. I've been having my (much better than me) training partner (falco/n) go easier on punishes but hard neutral game, and then also fighting LV5 marth in 20xx and trying to beat his **** out. Dash forward -> Wavedash back is great for throwing off your momentum and I've gotten serious damage because of it.

Wavelanding is also super important for movement. https://www.youtube.com/user/maniclysane has some wavelanding on yoshi's practice routines. You will simply not survive without crispy universe which is all from dash and wavedash understanding.

you can also ledge dash with wavedash which is an important option for characters since it's the fundamental underneath hax dashing (which is stupid for jiggs but w/e), it's also the FASTEST way to get up from the ledge by far. It makes your ledge game turn the **** up.

I recommend using fixed camera mode and just wavedash back and forth FD till it's under your fingers. Then try platform movement on yoshi's. I use paradiddles (RLRRLRLL) for my wavedashing practice to make sure they're super crispy (you should end up in the original location after the paradiddle.

Top Bottom