• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When to shield?

Jayrodd

Smash Rookie
I'm a fairly new player and feel like my tech skill as a whole is coming along decently, but I always struggle with when the right time to shield is, how long to hold it and what to use out of shield. Does anyone know good ways to get better with this sort of thing or methods I can use to practice? (on just a normal melee setup, don't have access to 20XX atm). Maybe some do's and don't's of shielding would be appreciated, I've looked a bit for something like that but haven't found anything that's coherent.

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
You should shield whenever you can't get away from your opponent's attack in time.

As for getting out of shield you have several options available to you.

I'll shorten Out Of Shield to OOS for brevity:

-Shine OOS: your quickest/safest option albeit the most difficult to master. Can change the tides of battle quickly and can be extended with multishine. High priority, good knockback, excellent "get off me" move.

-Wavedash OOS: Used to escape pressure by moving away from your opponent or behind them, Can also lead into an attack. A highly effective move to advance through enemy projectiles. Be wary using this technique against moves that are safe on shield as they will have time to punish you.

-WaveShine OOS: This technique is a Shine OOS followed by a Wavedash out of Shine. The attributes of both techniques above apply to this.

-Spotdoge Shine: Simple but effective, merely spotdodge then shine. Use sparingly as it is easy for your opponent to adjust to.

I hope I could be of service and to everyone else feel free to add on or correct me if I was unclear or incorrect in my post.

Klemes

Smash Journeyman
For starters, I'd definetely advise you to focus on these two options to begin with:

1. Wavedash OoS. The one most useful option with ALL characters in Super Smash Bros Melee (except yoshi).
It's just so good, you'll wonder how you could even play without it. If you wavedash with L, try shielding with R then WD OoS with L. Do the opposite if you usually use R. In a real game I usually end up only using L, but practicing with both gave me a sense of timing.

Once you're consistent at those, you can use WD OoS for 2 main goals. Retreating fast and safely to reset neutral / conter attacking, or WD in to punish laggier moves with shine, D-smash... all dependant of the situation.

2. Auto-Cancel Back-air OoS. Opponents will like to pressure your shield from behind to avoid getting shield-grabbed. To me it's a mistake against falco, AC b-air has great range and is very safe for an aerial.

3. as a bonus. Buffer rolls. You already know how to roll out of your shield, to buffer a roll, keep the c-stick away (left or right) while you're in shield-stun from an attack. This will make you roll AT THE FIRST FRAME possible. It's vey useful to get out of heavy pressure, like some good spacies will love to apply on your shield.

4. double bonus. D-air OoS. When your opponent ****ed-up and lands a laggy move right on you, d-air OoS for a good, easy punish. D-air shine at low %, d-air dash-attack b-air at higher %, d-air f-smash on no DI, etc.

I really really wouldn't recommend to grind shine OoS until you don't master the easier, more reliable options. Leave the next level stuff for... the next level (mind=blown). Airdodging in place right on your opponent because of a messed up shine OoS will do you no good. I know. I've been there.

Hope this helps !

Top Bottom