• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When to fast fall during a combo?

CaoCaoA2

Smash Rookie
Sup guys, this may be a noob question lol.

I playing my friend's marth the other day and sometimes when I went for an u-air dj knee, it went over marth and missed. After watching some combo videos I noticed that some players fast fall between aerials. I was wondering how should I determine if I should fast fall and what is the best way to do that. Right now I'm using the c stick for attacks and Y for jumps; I tried using the control stick and A to do it once but I ended up SDing.

Also, what's the best way to learn WD OoS? >.>

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
Most of the time, you want to fast fall as soon as your aerial is finished so that you land as quick as possible and can start moving for the followup. This is a little different with auto canceled aerials, as fast falling out of the AC window defeats the purpose of the AC. You might also want to ff into late aerials so that you can mix up hitbox timings on your opponent so they DI bad and you can convert off of it.

For WD OoS, the easiest way I've found to do it is hold shield with one trigger, jump with X or Y, then airdodge with the other trigger. That way, you don't have to let go of one trigger and then immediately press it again for both inputs.

CaoCaoA2

Smash Rookie
Hi, thanks for the reply!

Sorry if I wasn't clear about the fast falling. I was referring to mid-air fast falling between the uair and the knee similar to this video: http://youtu.be/9vziStKcg6g (0:49)

inb4 my eyes were just playing games with me lmao

Last edited:

Twinkles

Smash Lord
I think the knee would've hit even without the mid-air fastfall. There are relatively few instances in which that mid-air fast-fall is necessary, but in such you case you would have to react to the DI and know the spacing instinctively (AKA just more experience and situation recognition).

Generally, against Marth if they're too low to hit with knee after uair, I just go for another uair. If they're still too low for that, you can try just doing a drop knee against them.

Moy pretty much described the easiest way to WD OOS, you can still do it with one trigger with practice of course. The key is just getting used to shield stun and doing WD OOS, so you can try to practice WD OOS against other people's moves and see what the timing is (easiest done with someone else, pretty easy with 20xx, pretty difficult without 20xx or someone else to test with).

Top Bottom