• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When should I use side-b?

Falcon Funk

Smash Rookie
I can never seem to find a time to use it besides sometimes during a tech chase when they tech away. Is there any situations or anything that I should be using it in?

Sizzurp

Smash Rookie
It's good as a nasty surprise whenever anyone is in lag from whiffing an attack or grab, and its great because its just versatile enough to set up into anything at almost any percent. Like all things in this game, you can't overuse something otherwise you'll get punished, and the amount of use something gets its inversely proportional to how easily it is punished.

It goes through Falco lasers at certain heights (NTSC), good response for certain tech chases like you said, good response for whiffed grabs/aerials, if someone is applying a lot of pressure it can be a good response if you manage to create that distance (bit of a gamble), lastly consider it's use as a combo extender. Along with d-tilt and u-throw it's part of a cycle of moves Captain can rotate through and use to get extra damage in and get that knee.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I usually use it to read a tech in place or extend a combo (if it is an appropriate time).

looking guy

Smash Cadet
Wouldn't it be better to cover a tech in place with a stomp though?
maybe, it depends on your opponent %. If you wanna stack more damage it would be better to do a side b followed by a stomp or even a knee or maybe do the stomp first and then the side b and continue with other stuff but if your opponente is at a high % already go for the stomp>knee combo or a knee rigth away.

Last edited:

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
It's a great surprise move, especially when tech chasing. I tend to only use it once or twice per match and follow it up with an areial attack.

AJawesome07

Smash Apprentice
Actually though, I like Raptor Boost best for mixing up your approach. I usually just throw it out out of a dashdance, but only a few times per match. It's a dangerous move that can be punished hard.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
raptor boost combos into itself at low-mid percents on fast fallers
(Except that they don't go into hitstun if you hit them with Raptor Boost before they hit the ground again)

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Last edited:

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
I've always been confused about how to use SideB as a tech-chase. Does it cover multiple options (tech in place, missed tech, and roll away), or is it just a hard read for percents where they are guaranteed to be either popped up or grounded?

Only recently noticed that SideB combo'd into itself on fast-fallers at those percents. Definitely helps to extend combos, but sometimes I have trouble getting the first SideB to generate that combo.

Any other questions I have can probably be tested out in 20XX, so I'll leave it at that for now.

kyaputenfarukon07

Smash Journeyman
If you watch s2j videos vs spacies , you will see he uses side b facing backwards to the ledge for tech chasing to cover 3/4 options.

Mastodon

Smash Apprentice
Short answer: never
long answer: In the current meta, the most viable use for raptor boost is in tech chasing/punish scenarios when you believe they will not tech/tech in a certain way. It must be timed properly, though. I think one of the problems in my play is using raptor boost in neutral. Sometimes it just gets people, but against good players they can usually react to it with shield and punish it OoS. It works against opponents who mindlessly spam aerials though. Whether your fox, marth, peach, w/e, if they continuously spam aerials you can just react to them using an aerial and get underneath them with raptor boost, or anticipate their landing with a raptor boost as well. If you're playing against a perfect fox, this won't work, but even hax, leffen, mango, etc. show times where a raptor boost would catch them off guard in a "neutral" situation.

Bobojack

Smash Apprentice
S2J likes to use it catch a marth nair approaching. If you know that your opponents is going to do it, dont be afraid to use it but that wont be the case most of the time in high level play. (except if you are S2J who reads ppmd nairing 2stocks into the match :p)

Top Bottom