• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When Should I Choose a Secondary?

JK :^)

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shadow2003
3DS FC
2036-7330-6750
Let me just preface this by saying, I just started playing melee 4 days ago. But in that time, I've learned to Dashdance, SHFFL, Wavedash, and Shield Drop. I'm having trouble with pivots, but, that will come with time. The problem is, I don't know when I should choose a secondary. I've been a falcon player since I was 6, so of course, that was my main. (I also actually like him and he's just my speed. So I'm not just choosing him since I play him in 64, Brawl, SM4SH, and PM) I still need to learn C. Falcon completely, but when I do. Should I instantly go for a secondary, or wait, play some locals, then find one. I also heard someone tell me to pick a secondary as I'm starting to get comfortable with my main...

Soooo, which do I do?

AirFair

Marth tho
You don't really need any kind of secondary for a good amount of time. I think you should really invest time into falcon, at least in tournament play. Any other characters you do decide to pick up should probably come later on, but Falcon would be first priority for you. You can really pick up a secondary whenever you want, but it's just that you can't let it get in the way of improvement with your main.

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shadow2003
3DS FC
2036-7330-6750
Thanks for the reply! So, while I was waiting for answers, I was trying out some other characters. Is it bad if my favorite out of them all was Pichu?

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Thanks for the reply! So, while I was waiting for answers, I was trying out some other characters. Is it bad if my favorite out of them all was Pichu?
Not necessarily. You can love a bad character, sure. My favorite Melee character is Bowser. However, if you are wanting to play competitively, and you want to do well, you need to play a high tier character at least. Bottom line seems to generally be considered Ganondorf and all above are good to play.
But if you just started a few days ago, you need to play a high tier for sure. You will learn the mechanics more quickly, including technical and mental aspects of the game, which are equally important.

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shadow2003
3DS FC
2036-7330-6750
Not necessarily. You can love a bad character, sure. My favorite Melee character is Bowser. However, if you are wanting to play competitively, and you want to do well, you need to play a high tier character at least. Bottom line seems to generally be considered Ganondorf and all above are good to play.
But if you just started a few days ago, you need to play a high tier for sure. You will learn the mechanics more quickly, including technical and mental aspects of the game, which are equally important.
Yeah, I main C. Falcon competitively, but I may learn pichu on the side. Just for fun.

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
You probably should wait a little. I only recently decided to try and dual main Luigi and Marth recently, after about a year of more or less straight Luigi. So you never know where/when you might feel like picking up a secondary. Just go with the flow and see what happens.

Face of /b/

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0233-1984-3567
If you have any problems while learning Pichu, the answer is usually nair. If that doesn't work, the answer is upsmash. Or maybe just another nair.

Top Bottom