• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When short on practice time.

Nightblade

Smash Journeyman
I'm a novice Smasher who doesn't exactly have a whole lot of time on his hands to practice but wouldn't have a problem putting some time into his schedule every day to practice since his friends own him very, very hard.

So here's the question.

Ideally, what's the minimum amount of time per day you should do to get the most out of your time? 20 minutes? 40 minutes? What should be practiced here? Short-hops? SHFFL'd Aerials? Wavedashing? Gameplay against Humans/CPUs (CPUs when you lack people)? Watch Youtube videos and try to get an idea of gameplay? Post on SmashBoards?

SilverDraco134

Smash Cadet
Practice all of that as much as ya can when ya can. 20 minutes...better make it 40 for sure. I'd watch the movies, then practice.

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
Well, practice time is interesting and it is differn't for every player. Find what feels good to you. idk I don't play every day, but the days that im not Im usaually thinking up strats or what not watchin vids. Just try and find a balance. Don't play to little, but then again don't play so much that you start developing habits against your friends. Sometimes that can be a bad thing. Just find what is right for you.

Ryuker Reo

Smash Apprentice
I watch some combo videos first to learn some new techniques and then I try to master them.
I usually practice about 3 hours a day, but I have a lot of time in my hands.
Minimum time you should practice? I dunno, 30, maybe 40 minutes.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Ahhhh don't watch combo videos to learn stuff! That's like watching a Kung Fu movie to learn how to fight. Watch match videos of good players if anything.

Against comps, you want to tend to avoid those, as they will no doubt develop bad habits. In early stages of development, yeah you might want to get some tech practice in. Try to develop a solid technical game to have a foundation to build on.

Are you a complete starter or can you perform the basic techs easily? If you can perform them, great, now comes the hard part: using them properly. Play against humans, and try to apply your technical skills against them. Who cares if you get *****, in fact, that's a good thing, because that's telling you that you're using your technical ability the wrong way. Try varying it up (the exception is L-cancelling, you should ALWAYS be doing that no matter what). Waveshine twice instead of once and attacking. Try fast-falling all your ariel attacks. Waveland more (or less). Pulse walk more or less. Do what works.

The more you read, the more you know. I'm not saying you should go into char specifics and memorize every guide out there, but try to get a general idea of how playstyles work with different characters, how priority, hitboxes, and spacing works, and how you can use them to your advantage (attacking while landing behind an opponent for example). Learn what attacks to use, when.

This is where match videos come in. If your opponent is still beating you, try watching a pro vid of that very matchup, in which your character wins. I could never beat Space Animals with my Falcon, so I watched some Darkrain videos on how to do it. It was mostly heavy tech chasing to a finisher, and he started most of it by using very effective movement strategies and grabs. So now I need to work on tech chasing and movement and evasion.

There is no set time limit as to how much you should practice. You practice until you're not having fun anymore, because then you're simply not trying and it's not benefitting you.

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
Actually I have a theory... If you play smash to long in one day(with ought any sufficient brake at least) you will get as better if you played a shorter amount of time. just do what you can 30 minuet most days a week should be enough as playing two hours every day. Over playing smash my not be good in terms of how much other things you could have done Over-playing smash.(I also don't get the idea of playing in training mode for TWO hours it seems boring to me)

Note; sometimes what I do is Imagine games in my head it helps with strategy :)

MaskedMarth

Smash Ace
After playing Smash continually for long stretches of time,you should take a rest and let the experience sink in a little bit. It helps you get "perspective" on your Smash style, letting all the things you learn settle naturally into your play. My friend used to complain that I got better after not playing for a month. That's a stretch, but breaks from time to time are very helpful.

In terms of training time, I would spend some time drilling short hops, l-cancels and wave-dashes so you can do them perfectly. Then, go a step further and drill combinations of techniques that crop up frequently in your matches. The shffl' is a classic example of this, because you'll use it often with most every character. Other useful combinations are l-canceling into grab/jab/sidestep (try to make the move come as soon as possible after the l-cancel), dash-dance into jump-canceled grab (useful for Fox, Marth, CFalcon), sidestep to grab, wave-dash from shield, that sort of thing.

Also, watch a lot of videos. Nothing works better than learning by example (don't try immediately to emulate Isai or Azen though - work on the combinations of techniques they most often use, and then put it together)

Top Bottom