• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When PT is not enough... chosing your second.

chubas

Smash Apprentice
I have the strong opinion that in Brawl, choosing a counter character is part of a good player, hence one must main (or at least be good with) more than one character.

When I started playing Brawl, I liked R.O.B. I think I am decent with it, but as I started exploring more characters, dunno, I just discovered Pokemon Trainer potential, and fell in love with it. I won't say I am a good player, but I think between PT and R.O.B. I can give at least a hard fight.

Interestingly, there are some characters that definitely **** my PT, like Fox and G&W, but that's where my R.O.B. comes to play. I have still troubles with Marth, Olimar and Jigglypuff to an extent, so that's where I ask

Who do you think would be a good second character to main that can cover PT weaknesses? I do not intend to change my main or abandon PT, definitely he will be my main, but I'd like to hear your opinions.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
well pt doesn't have that many weaknesses since you have 3 different characters at your disposal.

but olimar could be trouble, the match up thread has found that none of the three pokes are super effective, although both ivy and zard are neutral.

the thing about pt is that it all depends on what pokes you excel at. one pt might have a lot of trouble with a fox, and another would demolish one.

so really, select your second depending on what weaknesses your own pokemon have, not what someone else here has. because i guarantee that pt has at least a neutral match up with every character in the game. most of the time one of your pokemon should have an advantage, though.

by the way, for foxes, i recommend brushing up on your ivysaur. ;)

Fearmy

Smash Ace
well pt doesn't have that many weaknesses since you have 3 different characters at your disposal.

but olimar could be trouble, the match up thread has found that none of the three pokes are super effective, although both ivy and zard are neutral.

the thing about pt is that it all depends on what pokes you excel at. one pt might have a lot of trouble with a fox, and another would demolish one.

so really, select your second depending on what weaknesses your own pokemon have, not what someone else here has. because i guarantee that pt has at least a neutral match up with every character in the game. most of the time one of your pokemon should have an advantage, though.

true bout the foxes, Metaknight also is trouble, i can't stress how annoying this character is.

but other than that, that is mainly the 2 really hard characters for PT

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman
I cna deside who to have as a secondary so far I have lucario but I keep thinking of changing it up for one of the hier teir looking (not sayin the are or no they are just popular) like rob or tl

FindTheBalance

Smash Rookie
I remember earlier I used to think I needed to switch to other characters to deal with the marths, metaknights and foxes. Once I developed my team better, i didn't need to switch characters. I now play w/ 5 other brawlers competitively, and i don't need to switch for the marths, mks, and foxes. PT is a natural counterpick. Try to develop your different pkmn by playing them against these characters w/ minimal switching. You'll get there.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
Indeed, PT doesn't need a second for the most part.

The only real problems are Pikachu and Olimar.

I admit, I have no idea who counters them. Perhaps someone with more expertise can help.

DDRKirby(ISQ)

Smash Ace
interesting question that deserves an answer in the future. just make sure to keep in mind that a well played character--no matter the matchup disadvantage--will always always work better than a poorly played counterpick. This is especially true in PT's case since mastering 3 characters is enough without adding another character into the mix.

in summary, too soon for anyone to have any real helpful answer on that. but we should all keep it in mind.

Tipzntrix

Smash Apprentice
I use Pit as my other main. I wouldn't say secondary, because I use them about equally, but his recovery allows me to do things that none of the pokemon can do, and play a real nasty edge game (including jumping out a lot farther), while recovering very safely.

chubas

Smash Apprentice
Certainly, our styles may be different. I find Ivysaur the most difficult to manage Fox, but I think Squirtle is the best against it.

Yeah, I think PT has the unique characteristic of being able to counterpick some characters to an extent, but there are still some characters for me that are easier to manage with other ones.

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
I am still trying to get PT up to my main status... but two of my friends play olimar and MK making it very difficult to get PT up to the level of play that i want him at. But other than PT i play Marth and Ike.. They work pretty well for me as i can do very different things with both... But once PT gets up i will have a very formidable team to play against.

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman
Thats the only problem i have with pt. Since the whole 3 character deal It feels like my oppoents are all up to speed and Im still just approaching the ben of some what competent with pt, cause well you know i have to play large majority of matches many times to get a real feel for my opponents. SO those occasions when im fustrated I rush in with Lucario. People taunt me when Im pt I dun like it =P.

Fearmy

Smash Ace
Certainly, our styles may be different. I find Ivysaur the most difficult to manage Fox, but I think Squirtle is the best against it.

Yeah, I think PT has the unique characteristic of being able to counterpick some characters to an extent, but there are still some characters for me that are easier to manage with other ones.

Bullet Seed out of Sheild

infernovia

Smash Ace
If you can force fox to approach, Ivysaur has the ability to shoot down most of fox's gameplay. But you really need to be good with anti air as fox's best approach is dair.

Edit: Right now, I am looking for potential compliments as well. I am pretty decent with Marth and Fox but I can't help but think that we are going to need potential anticamping. So g&w is looking up for potential too.

Top Bottom