• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When Luigi begins a fireball spam

The Golden Ike

Smash Rookie
How you do get around it? So far all I've thought to do is cancel each fireball with a single jab for about 20 times (instead of risking perfect shields and getting it broken) until my opponent decides to do something different. And I can't figure out any approaches because if I try to get close from the air he will just shield grab me as I aerial attack or land. How can I effectively get past this boring and monotonous Luigi spam?

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
http://smashboards.com/threads/promotion-to-great-lord-marth-lucina-strategy-notes.370731/
But really, your main approach in cases like this is walking shield. Marth and Lucina have the fastest walk speeds in the game, you have more options from it, and thus less commitment on your end. If you get close and shield a fireball while he's on the ground(Which is stupid on his end, mind), that's a free grab or DTilt if midrange. FAir also cuts fireballs, but your spacing has to be on point to avoid punishment.

Just my .02.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
Following along Shade's suggestion, walking shields or even running shields (by holding the direction you're running in then hold the shield button) work wonders for projectile spamming. It doesn't have to be a perfect shield, but the objective is to get close and not let him get away from you. Luigi's fireballs don't have the kind of power to break your shield easily, so you should be rushing in, block the projectile, then let go and continue the pressure. Luigi shouldn't have the kind of speed to run up and grab you if you use a SH FAir then back off and then followup with SB (The FAir assault tactic, in other words). They only time he will be able to shield grab you is if you stop infront of him. Never stay stationary enough to allow him the opportunity, and you have the movement in the air to poke and retreat before he can retaliate easily. Also if you tip with your FAir when he shields, it has a decent blockstun to prevent them from acting too quickly without them jumping themselves (and thus be open to your own attacks).

Hopefully this helps ya out dude

Top Bottom