• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When/How to Cape

Leg

Smash Cadet
NNID
SeduKtriss
Picking up Mario to sub for my Peach, and for whatever reason, cape never seems like a viable option for me outside of reflecting projectiles, and barely then too. I know it's a great edgeguarding tool, but I don't seem to have a good feel for it and often opt to fludd instead.

Teach me how to Cape; What are situations in which I should cape? Maybe some video footage would be great too?

Thanks C:

Anter

Smash Rookie
The absolute best time to use cape is if your opponent already used their double jump off stage. Some characters are hard to cape because of their recovery so it isn't always recomended. You should try to cape BEFORE they use their up b so they go the other direction.

If you hit an opponent with fludd that tries to recover high, you can usually cape them if it looks like they'll be able to grab the ledge.

Just keep practicing, cape is a very useful tool. It's also good for stalling and/or switching which way you're facing in the air.

Good luck.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Cape is frame 12. Only 5 frames faster than fair.

This added with the canceling of momentum unlike Doctor mario's, it generally only works when you guess the opponents option. As stated, it's most reliable when the opponent has no jump. Or reacting to high recoveries with it.

It can however be used for it's other property of being a aerial stall that can turn mario around. Meaning you can go offstage without having RAR'd, and cape to turn around.

This leaves you in the air longer thus able to cover more options around that area. Though mario can't go as far out.

It can also help land, baiting out grabs or attacks and turning mario away to bair.

Top Bottom