• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When do you think this game will die?

Spoice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
snoopertrooper
The game has been competitive since about 2002, we've seen tons of amazing players, from Ken to Mango, but every competitive game dies out at one point. The question is, when will Melee die out, and what game will takes it's place?

I'd guess when a Smash game as good as Melee happens, but that wouldn't really kill it. There'd be some conversion, I guess, but Smashers are different from other competitive gamers. There's an unusual amount of loyalty to their games. They, especially Melee players, don't often play other competitive games that aren't their main game, from what I've seen. Even if a Smash game >= Melee happened, its loyalists would keep it alive until they're dead

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
Shortly after the 12th of Never.

Maybe if all the equipment breaks down so we're left with disks we never take out of ancient gamecubes and Wiis where we have to replace the lasers periodically and really crappy Gamecube controllers... but that doesn't stop 64 players [they replace controller parts, refurbish N64s if I'm not mistaken, etc.] so I think as long as there are disks and memory cards, people will be good to go.

I don't think anytime soon. Maybe when they make something as good or better. It's too valuable lol
It would have to better in a sense basically no one could dispute, and that's going to be very difficult. PM is close, but there are still plenty of people who have various gripes with it [tiny as they might be, and some of those are even about Fox not being broken enough XD (though those people are just uneducated about the game and too biased to learn : P )], so I honestly think such a game would be very difficult to produce, if it's even possible.

Last edited:

ceecee

Smash Rookie
Possibly when the actual supply of the game and gamecubes deplete.

So...a very long time from now.

goobaje

Smash Cadet
Well even when we run out of disks or working consoles, there is always USB loading, so I really dont know. I think EPsilon is right that when a game as good or better comes along.

pershona

Smash Journeyman
Probably never, unless all of the players somehow get bored of it. Discs dying isn't a problem, Usb loading and emulators exist. And they still make gamecube controllers like the Smash edition ones.

Racuncai

Smash Cadet
if you know the term "solved game" you can have an idea of when the game will die, but we are still learning things about a 13 years old game that's insane and i think that will not happen soon, we have a few years of meta before that can happen, and like the other guys have said, people are loyal to the game and they will still playing even if the community is dead.

Last edited:

Drakester234

Smash Rookie
Melee won't die unless Sakurai (or next person who directs the game) decides to make a game that appeals to both casual and competitive players and succeeds in doing so. The reason why competitive games die out is because a sequel or new edition comes out. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 used to be played a loads of tournaments then MvC3 came out and pretty much erased it from big name tournaments. Street Fighter is the same. SFV will replace USFIV when it comes out. With nothing to succeed Melee, it won't die.

JFB (JurgaBurgaFlintines)

Smash Apprentice
Melee will never fully die out. If anything, it will be at least 10 plus years until it reaches "64" status. When I mean 64 status, I mean that there will be only a handful of tournaments for the game and only one person will rule the game.

Melee is honestly different from other competitive games in the sense that it is soo deep. Like we've been playing this game for 14+ years and we haven't even hit the ceiling of tech skill and stuff that is possible. Combined with the fact that this game is unique from all of the other Smash games in it's engine in physics, it won't die out I will promise you that. Even after competitive Melee dies out, there will be people who play this game and try to find new things about it.

AbsentPage

Smash Rookie
I think the game will never die in the past decades. The only way it can actually die is if EVERYONE stopped playing for specific reasons. But of course, I don't think it will never happen in this day. We always learned something new everyday we kept playing this game that I find it endless. :-)

Browningtons

Smash Rookie
NNID
browningtons
I'd say 15-20 years. But by then there will be a melee like smash either fan made or Nintendo made.

This game is awesome.

Rahu700

Smash Rookie
Shortly after the 12th of Never.

Maybe if all the equipment breaks down so we're left with disks we never take out of ancient gamecubes and Wiis where we have to replace the lasers periodically and really crappy Gamecube controllers... but that doesn't stop 64 players [they replace controller parts, refurbish N64s if I'm not mistaken, etc.] so I think as long as there are disks and memory cards, people will be good to go.

It would have to better in a sense basically no one could dispute, and that's going to be very difficult. PM is close, but there are still plenty of people who have various gripes with it [tiny as they might be, and some of those are even about Fox not being broken enough XD (though those people are just uneducated about the game and too biased to learn : P )], so I honestly think such a game would be very difficult to produce, if it's even possible.
If things really get bad, emulators will always be there too. Though a lot of people refuse to support that idea because it isn't the "real" experience.

fatman667

Smash Journeyman
Until a game based on Melee comes out with more simplified mechanics and character balance comes out. Hate to say it, but simplified mechanics are going to be very appealing to new blood and new blood might make old blood move on.

Until a game based on Melee comes out with more simplified mechanics and character balance comes out. Hate to say it, but simplified mechanics are going to be very appealing to new blood and new blood might make old blood move on.
Isn't Smash's mechanics already simple enough?

fatman667

Smash Journeyman
Isn't Smash's mechanics already simple enough?
It is, but people probably wants even simpler eventually sadly. Same thing happened with Guilty Gear in a sense, tons of people complained it's too hard and then the game got hella lot easier since FRCs were removed and the pace was slower, but the game regardless has a very similar level of depth, in terms of neutral game and mechanics usage, than its immediate predecessor which was probably the hardest one imo. You'd be surprised, but I know a lot of people who says Smash is really hard game to get into at a competitive level play btw. Smash isn't the hardest (for fighting games I definitely have to say Guilty Gear), but it does take some time to get adjusted to.

Kadano

Magical Express
When the last CRT burns out unless we all switch to a standard for LCDs.
CRT lifespan is approximately 40k hours. If every serious Melee player hoards five of them, we should be able to hold out until at least 2050. By then, similarly lagless monitors (OLED or other technologies) should hopefully be available. The input lag will likely be a couple of magnitudes greater than that of a CRT, but as long as it is less than one percent of average visionary simple reaction time, it should be negligible. (Right now, it’s approximately 1-2% for the fastest LCDs out there. Good CRTs are 0.001%.)

Additionally, when CRTs fail, it’s usually some capacitor in the power supply that can be easily repaired. With the Melee scene getting older, the amount of members that know how to repair these things will increase.

Last edited:

atzero

Smash Cadet
It depends on what you mean by die. Do you mean the tournament scene drops off to almost nothing such as Smash 64? Or do you mean when people just don't play it anymore? If you are talking about the latter, maybe 20 years from now. The former could happen sooner if Nintendo boots that jackass Sakurai and makes another game like Melee or Project M.

JFB (JurgaBurgaFlintines)

Smash Apprentice
It depends on what you mean by die. Do you mean the tournament scene drops off to almost nothing such as Smash 64? Or do you mean when people just don't play it anymore? If you are talking about the latter, maybe 20 years from now. The former could happen sooner if Nintendo boots that ******* Sakurai and makes another game like Melee or Project M.
Sakurai will go to extreme lengths to make sure a game like Melee or Project M is not made while he's around. And he'll be around for atleast another decade.

Spazzy

Smash Apprentice
Really? It's getting slightly less and less popular every year, and with SSB4 put on the spotlight, 4-6 years seems about right.
Sm4sh does seem to be getting more people into the competitive scene, but more people from that scene are going to Melee. I've seen many posts on Reddit saying "Switching from smash 4 to melee?" or "Wanting to get into Melee." It seems to be helping the Melee community grow if anything

TheRealBlueBlur

Smash Apprentice
Sm4sh does seem to be getting more people into the competitive scene, but more people from that scene are going to Melee. I've seen many posts on Reddit saying "Switching from smash 4 to melee?" or "Wanting to get into Melee." It seems to be helping the Melee community grow if anything
So is this just going to be a paradox? Whenever a new Smash comes out, people will complain that it is too slow and casual and "go back to Melee". Melee will literally live forever until Nintendo releases a Smash that can be played competitively and casually, but is geared slightly towards competitive play.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
So is this just going to be a paradox? Whenever a new Smash comes out, people will complain that it is too slow and casual and "go back to Melee". Melee will literally live forever until Nintendo releases a Smash that can be played competitively and casually, but is geared slightly towards competitive play.
I'm fine with this.

Last edited:

NoviceSmasher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
akeane1697
3DS FC
3668-8892-8828
this happens extremely rarely given how hard it is to get a gamecube a melee disc ,,and if you download off the internet its easier ,but you still have to catch up on about 14 years of tech skill

ValiantNorth

Matrix Speedruns
I'm fine with this.
Me too, regardless I don't feel that Melee will continue 'Forever' as unfortunate as it is.

Entropy always increases. :troll:

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
I'm sure my son will be playing smash and so will his son when that time comes, Eat, Sleep SMASH, Repeat

Dart!

Smash Master
It will reach a point where everyone that drives the scene is "too old" or moves on in their real life then the tourney scene will die.

Top Bottom