• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When and how do you use Vinewhip?

T-Link

Smash Apprentice
I've seen people say to sweetspot Vinewhip on certain characters and what not, but when and how is it performed? I never use Vinewhip at all. Is it a key factor in playing Ivysaur?

ToP CaT

Smash Lord
sure can...
vinewhip is by no means a key aspect in playing ivysaur its just a cool and potentially deadly move
it can be used on the run for a quick surprise on characters not expecting a diagonally based attack. Vinewhipping works when edge guarding for those who like to come jumping over the edge and in the air when chasing someone..many people dont see an attack coming when its from under them and towards the side. In short its not necessary but its helpful, its fast and its hard to see coming...dont spam it by any means but you should definitely work it into your gameplay. -tc

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
I use it for mostly two scenarios.

1. When I'm edge-guarding and they're high up, I just vine whip them and they never expect it.

2. After bullet seed, they ALWAYS double jump, and it puts them in perfect vine whip range.

Angroc

Smash Rookie
Its a really nice skill in my humble opinion. I just have a hard time sweetspotting with it. :)

The use which I find most potential for it is by first getting the enemy up in the air with usmash, then uair; if that one also lands, and the enemy should now be very high on the screen (if they're at high percents of course). Then I double jump up, and then I vine whip, if spaced correctly. You'll get VERY high up on the creen with this (vinewhip in the air gives you a second jump), so its a good kill move if you pull it through, imo. However, a easy airdodge is enough to avoid it, so use it sparingly; also the spacing is atleast for me very hard. Tricky, but flashy and deadly. Generally though, its a good move for reaching high up into the screen, pissibly killing, while having that delicious range.

Also, its generally a really good, spaced attack akin to bair (with a nasty lag though). Good for keeping others at a distance. I try to combo it with bairs.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Like one above me said.... is by no means a requirement.... but is more like a lucky shot, a risk you take, and if succeded, the payment is great.

1-My personal favorite: When they are in 0%, a quick grab followed by an instant downthrow and then a vine whip. Is not assured to hit but if hitted will be sweetspotted almost always.

2-When the enemy is approaching you with a single full jump: I do not recommed this one.. i like to do it but just once in a while and never abuse it, ull become very predictable. But since most jumps are in height for a sweetspotted vine whip.... is a nice move to mix it up. Use it to finish the enemy.... works better that way if connects.

3-To hit enemies in very high positions: Lets say u send someone very high... or he simply went there and is coming down. In this moment u can use it to suprise the enemy who must be above u some meters. The reason i use it here is because sincetheyare so high,.... not many people expect u to reach them after ur double jump. If the timing and position is right.. ull get ur enemy by surprise almost guaranteed.

U must take in consideration that if ur enemy knows PT and ivysaur very well...ur chances of connecting the move are lessened by alot.

In summary... i use it once per round at max. Once u connect it, believe me, ur foe will try to not let that happen again...specially if u get an early kill with it.

Toby.

Smash Master
This should be in the Ivysaur tactics thread. Oh well.

Yes, dthrow to vinewhip can be pretty handy against people who aren't suspecting it. Otherwise they can DI out of it fairly easily. I still bring it out every now and then regardless.

Keep in mind that the startup lag for vinewhip is much less when you are grounded. Despite this, using it in the air has the advantage of slightly increasing its range due to the small pop up ivy does whilst performing the attack.

Using vinewhip to punish approaches is difficult and risky due to the ending lag of the attack and the high probability of an airdodge/fastfall messing up what needs to be fairly precise aim.

Despite this, it works decently to increase ivy's zones of control. Once you establish vinewhip as a formidable defensive/offensive tool by whipping the opponenet as they come back on stage (or as they approach, or after a dthrow, etc), you have a nice little area diagonally up and in front of you that they wont want to be getting into. This lets you pressure them into approaching straight at you, which isn't too bad at all for ivysaur, thanks to razor leaf, bair and bullet seed.

Of course that is heavily dependent on the opponent's character and the opponent themself. All in all it's a handy little move though.

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
It's an acquired skill, like most things. If you use it enough, you get a feel for the angle and range until you eventually come to a point where you can sweetspot it at will. It's a very nice KO option for Ivysaur. What's better is that people always seem to DI it badly.

Kemious

Smash Apprentice
One of my all time favorite are the stages preformed with it. But I use it for aerial chasing more. Its that Dash back short Forward Vine whip almost always works.

T-Link

Smash Apprentice
I've working on it a bit and it is an acquired skill. I still need to practice it a lot. I've been doing the dthrow then Vinewhip but they dodge it a lot.

Top Bottom