• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's zair?

Cu29

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3136-7062-9722
1. By pressing the grab button (z) in the air.

2. It is good for recovery (it attaches itself to any walls, and you can use it immediately after air-dodging.) and occasionally a mixup (it does have a hitbox, however it is small and barely does anything.) (I'm not an expert on Samus so there are probably other uses for it, these are just the two I understand.)

I'm not sure what you mean by the last question.

Last edited:

Smash Journeyman
other characters don't have a special z-air so they just nair instead when you press Z in the air

Narfanator

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
NARF#806
What I mean is if you could bring out a nair with the z-button? I heard it mentioned a couple of times, but I may be confused about the exact mechanics or of its existence at all.

Anfantast

Smash Rookie
What I mean is if you could bring out a nair with the z-button? I heard it mentioned a couple of times, but I may be confused about the exact mechanics or of its existence at all.
If you have previously z-aired (aka used your tether) your next z-air will be a n-air.

You can achieve this by:
- Tether recovering to ledge and then dropping off (tether is not reset)
- Down-b twice in place on stage and spam Z. The second bomb will cancel the first z-air and then allow a second z-air and hence a n-air (this is also pretty useful if you are trying to get extender quickly)

Characters with tether z-airs have very limited offensive uses due to a lot of landing lag (and it can't be L-canceled) but I've seen Axe pull off some crazy stuff with Young Link's z-air and people in this forum have talked about z-air as a surprise mixup since it is sort of silly but unexpected.

Does this answer your question?

Last edited:

Narfanator

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
NARF#806
Yeah, actually.

When I learned that all non-tethering characters could perform A button moves with the Z button, I was kinda jealous.

I guess I have to use the grapple first before performing z?airs.

Thanks!

Top Bottom