• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U What's Your Preferred Controller For Smash Wii U?

Codster

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5343-8930-0055
I did a quick search and did not see a thread for this already. What is everyone's controller preference for Smash Wii U? I'm sure those fortunate enough to get the Gamecube adapter are making good use of their old Gamecube controllers. I was wondering how well those adapters actually work. But other than that, what is everyone else using? Gamepad? Wii U pro controller? 3rd-party pro controller? Wii remotes?

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
GCN adapter's on the way, using the wii u gamepad right now. it actually feels pretty natural and I can play just fine with it.

Hartenberg

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hartenberg
3DS FC
1220-8573-2488
I'm using the Gamepad. At first, I wasn't to fond of it, but I've gotten so use to it, that the wait for an adapter for my GC controllers isn't going to be as bad as I first thought.

Squadaloo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RodRodney
The Gamecube Controller for one reason and one reason only: I don't have to remember to change my profile name every time to use my controls because I use the default gamecube setup. I really enjoy using the gamepad, but only if ZR is shield and ZL is grab. Seeing as how this game decides to forget who is currently playing between every mode, I don't always remember to pick my control scheme and it's usually at the worst of times (like at the beginning of a Crazy Orders run)

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
GameCube Controller, then Classic Controller (Pro) following for most comfortable in my playing hands.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
The Gamecube Controller for one reason and one reason only: I don't have to remember to change my profile name every time to use my controls because I use the default gamecube setup. I really enjoy using the gamepad, but only if ZR is shield and ZL is grab. Seeing as how this game decides to forget who is currently playing between every mode, I don't always remember to pick my control scheme and it's usually at the worst of times (like at the beginning of a Crazy Orders run)
Well, the best part of the GC controller has to be it's C stick controls, it is really usful to have do a quick Smash with C stick. Also not to mention using it for ten years.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Gamepad because Off TV Play works like a dream, especially in my house, but I have a weird way of holding it so when I use up it sometimes goes diagonal left. It's screwed me over a few times but I'm trying to improve.
GameCube gets some use since I was fortunate to find one with ease and it feels pretty nice, though I was never a GC elitist.
I'm thinking of investing in a Pro Controller, for future games as well.

Patongi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Patongi
Wii U Pro. I got too used to it with the other Wii U games, can't get back to my old GC controllers. :>

But really, Wii U Pro controller is fantastic, for this game and overall also.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Well, the best part of the GC controller has to be it's C stick controls, it is really usful to have do a quick Smash with C stick. Also not to mention using it for ten years.
That and the Wavebird somehow feels like the most comfortable controller I've ever held. First time I held one was when my best friend visited me and he brought one with him. I held it and instantly felt extremely comfortable, IDK what it is about it, but the grip is just so dang amazing. I'm hoping they'll restock the GC adapter soon, I'm itching to use my Wavebird with no weird glitches.

Lichi

This is my war snarl
It's the GameCube controller for me. But it's not like I did a lot of testing. I got the game bundled with the adapter and played it only that way. My thoughts on the options:
GCC is GCC. It has always been credited for being a good controller for a reason. I think it has a nice weight, feel and durability. Also, I already owned a couple of these.
WiiU Gamepad is just to big imo. While having the screen is a nice gimmick, you don't really get much out of it in Smash. I have no time to look down while in a match to check player info. It also feels somewhat weird to play with this.
WiiMote + Nunchuk do feel like 2$ plastic imitations of real controls. They weigh nothing, and that disturbs me a great deal. Also sticks and buttons feel cheap. Hated these in Brawl, no need to try again.
Have never seen a Classic or Pro controller IRL and will not buy one because the difference to my GCC seems to be marginal.

KEWB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KEWB99
3DS FC
4511-0666-0442
GameCube controller. I don't mind the pro controller either, but it's hard to beat the GCN controller just in general imo, especially when it comes to Smash.

Mrkaoz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrkaoz
Wii U Pro. I got too used to it with the other Wii U games, can't get back to my old GC controllers. :>

But really, Wii U Pro controller is fantastic, for this game and overall also.
Same here and I love the battery life.

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
I use the gamepad mostly, unless the gamepad doesn't belong to me, in which case I use the classic controller pro. I use that one for Project M and enjoy it most. I don't understand what makes the Gamecube so much better, I friggin' hate those L and R buttons.

T

Trick or Treat

Wii Remote with nunchuck. I have no intention of buying the Gamecube adapter, because I'm just as good with this setup.

Patrick Ray

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheAmericaMan
3DS FC
5129-2776-3291
Doesn't really matter. I have swapped between GameCube, WiiU Pro Controller, Classic Controller, and WiiMote. They are all fine. Besides my ADD doesn't allow me to play one controller.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Gamecube controller. Can get by with the 3DS in a pinch, though. The rest just don't feel right at all.

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
I'm quite used to using the Pro Controller, GamePad, and 3DS now.. But I think I'll be purchasing a GameCube controller(s) + Adapter. It seems more natural to play any Smash game with a GameCube Controller. Sure, there are the virtually wireless PDP Fight Pads.. but they just aren't the same. Probably the biggest thing that has me not fancying the Pro Controller as much as I should (Even though it's a great controller nonetheless) is the "C-Stick" or Left-Analog stick. I find myself occasionally touching it from time to time and it throws off my game slightly. I wish it was positioned lower, like the original C-Stick. The ABXY buttons are positioned weirdly as well... Of course, one can get used to it, but I wish it was higher. The overall controller feels great in the hands, but I prefer using it towards Hyrule Warriors or Mario Kart.

TL;DR: GameCube Controller

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
I could use pretty much anything for a controller as long as it feels comfortable enough to me. I've never gotten too used to a certain controller, but the control scheme I've used most often recently is the Wii Remote and Nunchuk. The GamePad works alright for me, and though I'm not getting the adapter, I'm fine with a GameCube controller too.

But I prefer the Wii Remote and Nunchuck personally, mostly because I have pretty fidgety hands, so I move them around individually a lot.

GameAngel64

Smash Journeyman
This topic is of great interest to me because, while I have for years used the GameCube controller for Smash almost exclusively, I am just feeling like the controls in this game are not that responsive. I have been using the adapter/GameCube controller bundle and am having problems I did not have in the 3DS version or really any other version of Smash. Examples: too often I wind up simply ducking when in fact I input down+B or down+A; sometimes my character just walks forward when I also input an attack button; occasionally I will try to quickly jump and do an aerial attack but instead my character just does a grounded jab. I do not feel that I am being tentative in my button inputs, so I am not sure why some of my inputs are simply being ignored like the system cannot process all that simultaneous information quickly enough. This does not only happen online; it happens with about the same consistency offline as well.

All this leads up to say that while considering a fix for this control issue, I had recalled someone complaining that the Pro controller was "too sensitive." Since my problem seems to be a lack of controller sensitivity, I decided to give the Pro controller a try. Of course, there was the weirdness factor of it not being the GameCube controller, and of course the "c-stick" being in the wrong place. Truthfully though, with the c-stick charging smash attacks anyway now I don't use it as much as I used to. It felt a bit uncomfortable to use the Pro controller since it wasn't what I'm accustomed to, but at the same time I felt like those input errors occurred less often (and it was also nice not having ravel and unravel the controller cord). Before putting in more than a day's worth of practice into the Pro controller though, I have already reverted back to using the GameCube controller because everyone is unequivocally reporting it is the best. But I have to wonder... are these reports only due to tradition/stereotyping, or how does the GameCube controller REALLY compare to the Pro controller, once the weirdness factor is out of the equation?

For the TL;DR version: I am using the GameCube controller/adapter. But I am not sure it is the best choice. I have considered switching to the Pro controller, but am reluctant due to public opinion and personal habit.

Goesasu

Smash Journeyman
im not afraid to say it.

Im reallly feeling the wiiu gamepad.

TheLetsPlayGhost

Smash Rookie
I would like to use a GC controller, but I need to wait till I can get my hands on an adapter. Until then, I'm using the gamepad.

Serpentvap

Smash Rookie
Hi, first sorry for my poor english '-' hope you'll understand though

A little up on this topic because i have one question about the WII U Pro Controller.
Accustomed to GC Pad, i find a bit uncomfortable the distance between jump buttons (X/ Y) and the C stick, probably because of the game's increased speed

I was thinking of setting the jump button on the ZL emplacement of the WII U Pro controller, as KirbySS44 did, that could be a good alternative. I just don't know if short hops are easy to do with such configuration... :ohwell:

Your opinion about that?

Last edited:

Donkey_Inferno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Donkey_Inferno
3DS FC
4768-7553-7018
I currently use and am in love with the Wii U Pro Controller.

But my Luigi Edition Hori Battle Pad is currently on its way in the mail so I'll probably be switching to that permanently.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Has anyone noticed how tight the sticks are on the Wii U Pro? It messes me up every time I use it as it either makes me Smash when I want a Tilt or dash when I want to walk. Maybe it's just me, but I can't seem to tilt the sticks effectively at all

Last edited:

Tyketto

Smash Cadet
The Wii U GamePad is my favorite at this point.

For the longest time, I used GameCube controllers. When the 3DS version came out, I was forced to adapt to that control scheme (though I did change Y to grab...pressing L on the 3DS just didn't feel right).

When the Wii U version came out, I assumed I'd immediately jump back into the GameCube, but I found that my skills with the controller we're stale. So I decided to pick up the GamePad, change Y to grab like my 3DS and suddenly it just felt right.

With that in mind, the Classic Controller or the Wii U Pro would be secondaries in case the GamePad isn't available, as they come close to the button layout of the GamePad. Most of my friends prefer the GameCube controller though, so thats usually not a problem.

SoundChow

Smash Apprentice
I use gamecube controller but the gamepad is just as good. I just need to get used to its controls.

Vash_VisionZ

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vash_VisionZ
3DS FC
4596-9838-7829
I can use the Pro controller, classic controller pro, gamepad, and GC controllers all fine. I usually opt for Pro controller if I can, since I want to spare my gamepad analogs the agony of intense smash matches. But if I wanna play off screen I'll use it.

Inazuma

Smash Cadet
NNID
inazuma65
The Gamecube controller right analog stick defaults to "attack"? I assumed it would default to "smash". Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think even if you use the Gamecube controller, you still need to select your name in order to fix the controls.

Werner Herzog

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jack_Sjunior
3DS FC
1864-9302-8583
Hi, first sorry for my poor english '-' hope you'll understand though

A little up on this topic because i have one question about the WII U Pro Controller.
Accustomed to GC Pad, i find a bit uncomfortable the distance between jump buttons (X/ Y) and the C stick, probably because of the game's increased speed

I was thinking of setting the jump button on the ZL emplacement of the WII U Pro controller, as KirbySS44 did, that could be a good alternative. I just don't know if short hops are easy to do with such configuration... :ohwell:

Your opinion about that?
I made the switch to Wii U Pro with ZL for Jump and now I can never go back. I find short hops really easy with it, and the ability to jump without taking my thumb off the second stick is such a blessing. It took a few days to get used to, but now it just feels so natural. To ease myself in I kept Jump mapped to X too at first so that I would have a safety net while my muscle memory adapted. The abundance of buttons really helps for experimenting with different configurations. Basically what I do is this:

Shoulder buttons

ZL - Jump
ZR - Shield
L - Grab
R - Special
Face buttons
A - Attack
B - Shield
X - Special
Y - Grab

With a setup like this I'm never left wishing my right thumb could be in two places at once. It's wonderful. Switching from the GCC after years of use isn't necessarily a cakewalk, but I do honestly feel it's worth the effort to try. If there's one thing I miss, it's the octagonal gate on the old c-stick, but ultimately I was able to adapt. I know for some that may be a dealbreaker though. Hope that helps!

Yong Dekonk

Smash Apprentice
After a quick scan of this thread I didn't see anyone say they use the battle pad. Has anyone used it? It looks like the L and R buttons might be an improvement over the gc controller.

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Wii U Pro Controller. Smoother than a baby's bottom and comfy to boot.

NinjaWaddleDee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NinjaWaddleDee
Top 3 that I can adapt to:

1. Gamecube Controller
2. PDP Wired Fight pad (Just got it because I won't be getting a GCN adapter anytime soon. It works like a charm, I don't see what all the hate is about. It takes about an hour or so to get used to.)
3. Wii U Pro Controller

Bottom Contenders:

5. Wii U Gamepad
6. 3DS
7. Wii Classic Controller Pro (Great controller, but the buttons are too far away for me to use in Smash properly.)
8. Wii Remote sideways
9. Freaking Wii remote and Nunchuck. **** that.

You know what I hate about customizing controls though? I hate seeing my name above my character. :/ Can you disable that somehow?

Last edited:
Top Bottom