• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your opinion over For Glory

Kyzael

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raiyn
3DS FC
0104-3086-6937
As for starters, I hope I'm in the right area for this topic. x.x

Anyway, what do you guys think of For Glory. On paper, it's a challenge between you and X random person to test your skills as a Smasher on who will win. This can be fun and also frustrating naturally due to winning and losing. Though in reality, doesn't it appear to be just different? Some character are doing stuff they obviously don't know what they are doing, others are doing things that they shouldn't ever be doing, and some are just...rolling.

My opinion over For Glory is that, it's just not the best place to enjoy yourself or even remotely come close to testing your skills. If anything, it just tests your Punishing abilities.
For example, I was going to play on Splatoon and I found out I was wrong on the time. (Thanks to my friend...) So I got on his Wii U and decided to get on For Glory to win a couple because he was still asleep.

I ended up doing two fights. Both were lagging, which I'm guessing can't be helped (and I mean mainly towards input lag). And a lot of constant rolling or using the same things over and over. If it works, why stop using it? Except it wasn't working.
On the 2nd match, the Smasher was playing as Robin and rolling from left side to right side, only using the tomes. Which is easily dealt with since you just need to block, but the part that bothered me so much is when I punished and Robin was in the air. I would go in the air and just back off and Robin would use Up-B.

I was just dumbfounded because I'm asking "Why? All you are doing is delaying a punish." Which is what happened, he got Fsmashed (Which the game began to go through extreme amounts of lag as to imprint the image of Lucario's palms thrusting forward and sending poor Robin across the stage to her death.)

I think it's just not great and needs...something changed about it. Sure, it's a win but it wasn't really well worth the time.
Region-locking or restricting it till X thing happens. Like a level system or X amounts of coins. I'm not sure, don't take this last bit too seriously.

I just have a hard time trying to express my feelings about For Glory. I mean For Fun, it's fun. Half the time i just reverse Warlock punch after jumping because the others are so distracted by the person they are fighting.

Poxnixles

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vitiel
3DS FC
3823-8576-9592
Pretty much. The possibility of lag (which feels more likely on Wii U than 3DS from what I've seen), mere Final Destination variants instead of including stages like Battlefield, and stuff mentioned above are what really hurt For Glory.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
1 on 1:
The players usually are pretty bad, but you will find a good one occasionally. The bad or okay players act kind of arrogantly, and most become salty really fast after losing. It's a terrible atmosphere, where people just try to spite you. The stage is always FD, which gets old really fast. Lag is something that will cause issues every so often, but it's not actually that common unless your own internet is causing it. The only nice thing about FG is how fast you can get into a game with it.

Whenever I am thinking of going on For Glory, I remind myself of those things, and instead go to smashladder.com. There, you pick/counter pick stages, play with nice people who are usually good, and can avoid lag by viewing location and others' scores on their connection. Either do ranked matches (they call it for glory :p) or friendlies (For fun :p).

Team battles:
Usually a better atmosphere. When people lose, they can just blame it on their opponent rather than themselves, so they become less salty. It can be quite fun, but you can also end up being paired with someone who doesn't know what he's doing. In that case, it's frustrating. You might want to doubles somewhere else, still. Team attack being off can be troublesome, and you're still just on FD. Higher chance of lag, too, but it's less noticeable, I find.

Free for alls:
Pretty good atmosphere, actually. It's less competitive, so nobody really rages or anything. After a while of winning, you might find people starting to slightly focus on you more, but they still will want to attack the person with highest damage for the kill. FG FFA is probably one of the best place for FFA's online, except for with people you have friended online. Still, there is probably somewhere online that dedicates to FFA's outside of FG.

Still~Wolf

Embwace Twanquility
It's great for learning some basic mechanics, such as punishing and ledge guarding. I also feel it's a decent place for practicing a character you're thinking about. But outside of that, I don't think it's great for testing your skills, no.

Uffe

Smash Hero
If you have no friends to play against, can't find tourneys within your area, or are not familiar with the Smash Ladder, then it's really the only way you're going to get better at the game if you're looking to get remotely good. I understand that there are newbs on For Glory, but because of this, you get to experience different types of ideas running through the other players head and have to challenge yourself on how to deal with their shenanigans. For a long time, I've had problems dealing with players who rolled a lot. I kind of still do depending on which character it is, because some characters have better rolls than others. So this has given me an idea of what to do about rolling. If you have better options than playing in For Glory, then go with those options, otherwise, just stick it out for as long as you can in For Glory. I use the wins and losses ratio as a tool to push myself to do good, even if my opponent is really bad. I don't feel the least amount of pressure without it, so I feel like I've got something to lose. I typically leave after one match if I two stock my opponent, because I'd like to look for someone around my level, if not better.

Last edited:

Saclam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Boofa_man
3DS FC
1719-4228-9638
Beside being able to get a match in less than a minute,for glory is filled with nothing but salt and toxic with rolling being the only thing you see more times than actual fighting.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
For Glory, when there is no lag, is a great way to get some quick practice with other players who play at the very least semi-competitively. Even though there are no platforms to take account for, you will probably be playing against another good player to help increase your skill in smash. For Glory is definitely worse practice than Smash Ladder, but it's still good practice in my opinion

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
Beside being able to get a match in less than a minute,for glory is filled with nothing but salt and toxic with rolling being the only thing you see more times than actual fighting.
If your playing against someone who is trolly, just leave the lobby. There are more than enough players on For Glory who are looking for other players to practice with

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
Seems like a joke put in by the devs as a defense for themselves so they can say "But look, competitive community, we gave you exactly what you wanted!" as they snicker to themselves. They just implemented the FD only meme because they don't know or care about people who like to play the game 1v1.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
It's a great mode. In my opinion, it's a great mode for testing skills, but the fact that the stages are all Platformless makes camping easier and higher advantages to some characters (e.g. Little Mac. I know he is much worse than ever was!), but its pros are bigger than the cons, and the mode itself has great intentions. And, Team Smash becomes a bit mindless without Team Attack being turned On.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I just dont like people who constantly spam projectiles..
Link/R.O.B/Duck Hunt.

And people who play super defensive and just do nothing but roll from side of the stage to another.
Samus/Robin

Even if the guy is really good and he is smacking me up with a high tier if hes playing aggresive and making the matvh entertaining then its all good.

But i really cant stand Rosalina though.

Above all i have had alotta fun on for glory..but people are extremely salty....and too many players that play the style i mentioned above...

i main ganon and when i win they switch to like ZSS and go nuts its like wtf....are you more mad than if you lost to a Diddy?

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
It has its ups and downs. I have met some really nice people online, but most of the time I end up with projectile spammers, Nesses and ZSS repeating and following combos like a recipe book, and just bitter and salty people.

Though I will admit, defeating a show off Captain Falcon with Charizard was sweet.

What I really hate is that there is no real way to actually talk to someone when playing. Yeah there is the name thing, but that is just a hassle to do. Just shows that even though you get more people to play with online, it is no substitute for local play.

Last edited:

Kiklolaxer

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Kiklolaxer
3DS FC
1349-7300-7127
Switch FC
SW-1423-7849-8688
LOL well....For Glory for me is a bunch of noobs that don't move or jump off the cliff once they see you're playing a Rosalina or Little Mac.

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
FFAs and especially Teams are where it's at for me, since up to 2 other players are around to police some of the numerous complaints that folks around here have levied against the 1v1 room. Constant rolling? There will likely be at least 1 person right where that roller's going to be who can punish it. Projectile spamming? With 2+ people approaching the spammer(s) at once, walling them out becomes more difficult. Bad MUs like :4duckhunt: VS :4sonic: or :4ludwig: VS :4yoshi:? Hopefully the other 2 people can wombo combo them with you in FFAs, or your partner can help you out in Teams by either fighting them themselves for over 50% of the match, providing cover fire if possible, or joining you when you yourself are approaching them.

Are there certain characters and even whole team setups that might be OP when Friendly Fire's off? Definitely. I'll admit to :4duckhunt:, :4ludwig:, :4charizard:, :4zelda:, :4megaman:, and possibly others being OP in FG Teams, due to a variety of reasons. Double :4samus: without any anti-projectile characters on your team are quite fearsome, as are double :4charizard: without Counters or FB-stuffing moves and definitely double :4pacman: with really slow runners, low jumpers, and moves that canNOT reach them once they're Trampolining.

Despite such concerns for FG Teams, at least I get to aggressively rushdown like I'm playing Guilty Gear in there. :3 Such rushdown also actually works in FG FFAs as well.

FG 1v1 is probably the worst of the 3 rooms. I've really only been going in there lately to see if I can actually win at least 1 match with whoever I've yet to either play as or win with in that room, and I've been starting with the so-called bottom tiers (some of whom I actually LIKE playing as, with Charizard apparently being this far down the tier list, who is actually one of my mains now) and working my way up the tier list as I win at least 1 match with a character. Naturally, trying to win with bottom tiers have been a struggle, and somehow, in :4shulk:'s case, I've lost at least 5 matches in the 3DS version against 5 different characters (and possibly 5 different players too) before I finally won one against a campy :4villager: with him. I've still got around 25-ish characters to go, I think. Considering the numerous complaints levied at FG 1v1 around here, I've certainly been hesitant to step foot in it.

Last edited:

Ampetrix

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christopaz
3DS FC
4527-8084-1972
1v1 is unfortunately my only option to play "competitively" because I have ISP issues that won't let me intentionally connect with other players.
Since I play on the 3DS, there really is no form of connection at all. I just hate people who leave quickly after one match, I remoe the salt by calling them cowards (even though they can't hear it, but it helps nonetheless)

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
LOL well....For Glory for me is a bunch of noobs that don't move or jump off the cliff once they see you're playing a Rosalina or Little Mac.
Funny thing is Rosa's recovery is so damn good if you jumped of after her she would just aerial attack you with the ammount of Bull* hitbox she has on all her moves and still recover back on to the stage.

Last edited:

Kiklolaxer

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Kiklolaxer
3DS FC
1349-7300-7127
Switch FC
SW-1423-7849-8688
True, tbh Rosa is very op but she lacks in vertical recovery

Kiklolaxer

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Kiklolaxer
3DS FC
1349-7300-7127
Switch FC
SW-1423-7849-8688
Well she could do a bit better...and if she pllays on omega floating stages and misses the ledge, that's a ko

Kiklolaxer

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Kiklolaxer
3DS FC
1349-7300-7127
Switch FC
SW-1423-7849-8688
Ikr!!! Luma too op 4 me

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
For Glory is fine, when there is no lag. It only got a bad reputation because some people don't want to play the game in flat stages/without platforms.

Storm Erion

Smash Cadet
In terms of trying to improve, I don't like to play 1 on 1 FG anymore. I just find that when I play it I form bad habits, and I'm the type of person who has difficulty getting rid of habits when they're built, so now that I've gotten rid of them, I don't want to build them again.

But there are a lot of times where I just want to play Smash with three other people, and play a free for all, in which case I'd play FG for that purpose, but when I'm trying to train I try to avoid it.

Top Bottom