• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your opinion of the Sm4sh 21 OUTSIDE of Smash? (Part 4)

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I’m excited for this one! 4 features my favorite cast of newcomers of any Smash game as of right now, including who might be fighting Ribbon Girl for the title of my favorite video game character period. We’ll be getting to him, though (and you can probably already guess who he is). Putting all that aside, on with the show!

:ultvillager:
Animal Crossing isn’t my style of game (play-daily games are migraines waiting to happen for me), but I do really like the charm the game presents. The Villagers’ designs all fit their world pretty well. And who doesn’t love their fishing puns?

:ultmegaman:
While I haven’t played his games, I like Megaman (THERE SHOULD BE NO SPACE) quite a bit. He may not have much of a personality as far as the games go, but he’s pretty fun in the cartoon. As far as Megaman as a franchise goes, however, I prefer the X games. Provided said game is not X7. For corn’s sake X, even Weed has more of a spine than you. (And if you know who Weed is, congratulations for being a fan of the greatest anime series ever made! Your cookie’s in the mail.)

:ultwiifittrainer:
My mom was an active player of Wii Fit back in the day, and I enjoyed it when they added pets into the game! When my mom wasn’t around, I’d sometimes go to the yoga segments and copy the trainer’s poses, but I’d usually quit at the ‘now let’s try it together!’ part, since me and the balance board went together like chocolate and wet cheese. Haha.

:ultrosalina:
Wasn’t a fan at first, since I loved Peach+Daisy and Rosalina’s existence led to a lot of people garbing on my princess babies due to Rosalina’s expanded personality and backstory. Now though, I’ve come to like Rosalina quite a bit, given her role in the Mario lore, but I still prefer the classic Mario princess duo over her.

:ultlittlemac:
Never did play Punch-Out, but I do like Little Mac’s underdog status…even on the Smash tier lists, haha. XD His franchise is one I wouldn’t mind seeing a revival of for the Switch. Imagine ARMS-style joycon punching, that’d be great.

:ultgreninja:
Like I said with Squirtle, Fennekin was my choice in Y and not Froakie, but I do quite like Greninja’s design. I mean, he’s a ninja frog, gotta love it. I eventually chose him for a Professor Oak challenge (aka Pokemon fan suicide) in X and I super enjoyed it.

:ultmiifighters:
Me and my cousin spent waaay too long making hideously ugly Miis on the Mii Channel. Good times. Not really much to say here, they’re avatars through and through. I like their refinement in Ultimate, though. And they have Ribbon Girl costumes so they’re awesome by default.

:ultpalutena:
I'll put this one under a spoiler, cause it's long:

This might come as a surprise to some of you, but I’m gonna say it: Palutena is a tragically underrated character. She’s one of my favorite characters in Smash and KI:U, even with Corrin being my dragon boi and Viridi doing her awesome nuking thing.

“But why Palutena?” you may ask. To many, non-initiated Smash fans, she seems to be a bit of a jag, even to Pit, and there are moments that are kinda skeevy in KI:U, take the ‘patented monster pheromone’ part for example. But her jabs are usually all in good fun and Pit’s able to take it quite well for the little dork he is.

What truly makes Palutena one of my favorites, however, is when she expresses guilt or vulnerability. Earlier in the game, she expresses guilt and self-hate over the humans’ constant suffering – something Pit is quick to silence – and this makes all the more sense when you read up on the backstory of Kid Icarus. She and Medusa used to work alongside each other, but like Viridi later on, Medusa despised humans and soon made a move to wipe them from the earth. Palutena tried to stop her, but paid for it; she was imprisoned until Pit saved her.

Many years later, Medusa returned to ‘scourge the heavens, sweep the earth!’, so Palutena rallied Pit to take her back down. But then, Hades rose up and tricked the humans into warring over the false Wish Seed, something that Palutena blamed herself for. This is when Viridi (also one of my favorite characters) comes in, worsening things for Palu and Pit. Despite how sad she feels about how everything’s gone to hell, Palutena pushes forward, guiding Pit to fight Viridi’s generals and the Aurum, while still finding it in her to joke around with Pit and even getting in a few shots at Viridi and her generals.

Yet where it really gets good is just after Pit saves her from the Chaos Kin alongside Viridi and Dark Pit. Palutena awakens just in time to witness Pit diving off the Vortex, sacrificing his wings and very nearly his life to save Dark Pit. Palutena is utterly broken at this, lamenting over her treatment of him prior and expressing clear regret with just two words: “Oh, Pit…”

And that’s when I knew I truly loved Palutena as a character. She jokes, she laughs, she almost matches Hades and Viridi in sarcasm, but when push comes to shove, she truly cares about Pit and humanity at large. From then on, she guides Dark Pit to the Rewind Spring to save Pit, and when all that has passed, she is more caring towards her no.1 angel than ever, being friendly, snarking a lot less overall, and always believing that Pit can take down Hades. When all comes to pass, Palutena drops one of my favorite lines in anything:

“It’s true. Humans are simple, selfish little creatures who are driven by greed. Sounds a lot like us gods, wouldn’t you say?”

I just love Palutena so much. She’s likable, funny, cute, and truly kindhearted when the chips are down. Easily one of my favorite ever video game characters and I will defend her to my last breath on Earth.

:ultdarkpit:
Well, here’s a simpler explanation. If you’ve played KI:U, Pittoo’s less ‘edgy’ and more Fleetwood Mac-style ‘going my own way’. He doesn’t align with anyone (supposedly…) and sees himself as the superior Pit. Despite his rude attitude, he’s a bizarrely charming character, and probably my third favorite in the game (though with my ramble on Palutena, that’s probably not saying much). I just find him really, really cool.

:ultpacman:
Well, it’s Pac-Man. What can I really say? He’s one of those characters who doesn’t really need a personality, even in his platformers. He’s fine as is – an iconic design, usually happy, eats ghosts…can’t get much more distilled gaming essence than Pac-Man, and for that I respect the dude.

:ultlucina:
Lucina is awesome! Probably my third favorite character in Fire Emblem maybe? (At least from the playthroughs I’ve seen.) She’s able to combine many tropes I really like into one blue-haired package. I love how she’s a bit of a dork in spite of how much of a powerhouse she is on the battlefield, it helps make her more appealing to me since I’m not usually into the cold, snarky female characters. Going both with and against this is what makes Lucina likable for so many, including me. Lucina’s a very fun and endearing character, and me watching Awakening in action proved how cool this masked lady is to me. Glad she can call the Smash roster home.

:ultrobin:
It’s weird. Robin is great, but for whatever reason, I’ve never felt as strongly towards him as I do towards many other Awakening characters. Which is not a knock on Robin, it’s more just a statement on how great Awakening’s cast is. Chrom is a likable hero, Lissa is absolutely hilarious, Lucina is both adorable and badass, Grima is an awesome villain who I STILL want in Smash…hell, even Gangrel’s amusing. Robin just doesn’t stick out in my mind compared to many FE:A characters. A shame cause I really like his Smash moveset.

:ultshulk:
I’m British. Of course I like Shulk! He’s a nerdy goofball with a badass side, which is one of my favorite dynamics for character writing if it wasn’t clear yet. His connection to the Monado was really interesting to me, and his dynamic with his friends was brilliant. Shulk’s a lot of fun in Smash as well. Love this guy.

:ultbowserjr:
Jr’s okay, but honestly I was always team Koopaling. All of them are great fun with cute designs, but I especially love Wendy. I love adorable, fashionable girly-girl characters, if you couldn’t tell somehow. The highlights of the M&L remasters was seeing her and the other Koopalings provided with additional character, making me love her all the more. I wish she was in the Mario Party games (or any of the damn Mario spinoffs at all grr), but at least there’s Kart!

:ultduckhunt:
Completely missed the NES era due to being a Gen Y scrublord, but I heard a lot of people hated ‘that damn dog’. He was certainly more of a character than many Nintendo characters of the time, though, let’s give him that. His laugh kinda reminded me of Muttley in a way. I found it absolutely hilarious that they got into Smash, and I do like me some dogs (if Isabelle didn’t tip you off), so I’m glad to have them around.

:ultryu:
The Quarter Guy put it best. He’s Mr. Street Fighter, but Ken is generally more appealing, and since the first game aged like milk, we usually know Ryu as the ‘grumpy teacher with an ugly face’. Still though, he revolutionized the fighting game genre, like Mario revolutionized platforming, so we gotta give him that.

:ultcloud:
FF7 is on my ‘must play’ game list. Cloud has a very interesting design, and his Smash playstyle drew me to him all the more. He’s a character I wish I knew more about, besides how Dissidia ruined him for everybody. “I’M SO TORTURED” Oh well. There’s always the new remake.

I hope you don’t mind that I swapped the last two around. Wanted to save the best for last :p

:ultbayonetta:
Another Smash character I’m biased towards because British. She’s the kind of character who sells you on concept alone – a woman who uses her hair to formulate giant fists and transforms into pretty much everything to do her usual Bayo thing (i.e. being kind of a ). Brilliant! She’s a lot of fun to play as, both in her games and in Smash. She’s also bizarrely likable despite being a snarky * at times. My kind of witch!

:4corrin:And finally…it's high time I spoke my mind on a certain dragon-kid... :4corrinf:

:ultcorrin:
This one also goes under a spoiler. Here's some fitting music

Oh baby, where do I start with him? I think he (yes, he) might be one of my favorite characters…ever maybe. I love his design, personality, role in all three of the Fates paths and in spite of the hatred he gets, he’s still a character I both relate to and aspire to be like very much. And I’m not gonna lie, this kinda snuck up on me. When I played Smash, I was NOT expecting myself to wind up so attached to this lovable dragon boy. But I dunno what it is. Corrin clicked with me and I found myself always playing as him and growing all the more interested in his home game.

When I witnessed my first playthrough of the Fates trilogy, a part of me became very attached to Corrin. Not only did he have an intimidating yet cuddly design and a unique concept, being a half-dragon lord of the Hoshido bloodline while being brought up in Nohr, but I found his character extremely likable. A few people argue that he has no personality but that’s gotta be one of the biggest loads of phooey I’ve ever heard. Did no-one else see his supports??? Corrin is dorky and mischevious, prone to making jokes at times, but he’s very gentle and incredibly compassionate. I absolutely love characters like that so Corrin appeals to me by default.

Not to mention, he goes through so much pain throughout both routes. He loses his mother only a little while after getting to know her, and is forced to make a decision between two families he loves very much, yet he still wishes for a peace to be made between the two nations of Fateslandia. As a result, he’s also one of the few characters who tries his hardest to actively work towards a way that both Hoshido and Nohr can be happy, in spite of Garon being a **** dad and Iago’s antics in the background. I think a good deal of Elise’s loving and adorable personality comes from the time she spent with her big brother, something else I very much respect him for. I find it extremely upsetting when he loses someone important to him, the poor guy has so many people he loves and cares for that he can’t bear to see them perish…(Birthright is BRUTAL with this by the way)

Now I know people have their issues with Corrin. I’m not going to go into TOO much detail for fear of starting a fight, since defending Fates can often be a can of worms on the internet, and not one I’m willing to open, no thanks to some VERY questionable decisions Intelligent Systems made during its creation. But regarding Conquest, at least…although Corrin does end up following the orders of a tyrant, DUDE WAS GONNA KILL HIM IF HE DIDN’T. Corrin was really put on the spot, and I really felt for him. And despite the pressure and the odds at hand, Corrin still made a point to find a peaceful solution to the conflicts. Could Corrin have made better choices in Garon’s control? Probably. But with him and Iago both out to get him, it makes sense to me that the path Corrin chooses is often quite rocky. Yes, he’s naïve. And perhaps TOO merciful. Believe me, I’m usually the first girl to call “too much mercy” out. But given his upbringing, it’s understandable he’d be so naïve…and incredible how he views the world around him with so much love and compassion. Corrin has the kind of universal love, or “agate”, I wish I had for the world right now.

Above all, Corrin just makes me happy. Be it his dorky side in supports, his fearless nature or his neverending compassion...Corrin gives me hope. He makes me feel really happy and safe, even if he is flawed. I've been struggling with depression for a while now...and Corrin is one of two video game characters who I truly believe makes my life better for existing (Ribbon Girl being the other). Corrin means a lot to me and every time I see him mistreated or joked at, or just flat-out ignored (especially the male version), I can't help but feel a little sad. Yes, I sound like an immature baby, and I'm sorry for that, but this is something I can't help myself for. Everyone treats Corrin like a plague on Smash and/or Fire Emblem, but he's so much more than people make him out to be. If anyone who hasn't played Fates truly believes Corrin is a boring or trash character, I suggest you watch a playthrough of Fates. I think you might be surprised.

The thing with Corrin is that unlike with Palutena who had that one specific moment that truly put her in my top two, Corrin was incredibly likable for me throughout all three paths I witnessed and it just kept building up. Whenever something horrible happened to him, I didn’t just want to hug him because he was adorable, I wanted to hug him because I felt like I was feeling the effects of the tragedy alongside him. Corrin really seemed to engrave himself within me that way. He’s a character I can truly feel for, a character I can admire, and a character that provides me with so much comfort it’s unbelievable. Yes, Fates isn’t a perfect game by any means, and yes, Corrin isn’t a perfect character…but, he just has so much I love about him that I can’t help but call him one of the absoute best.

Corrin, keep on fighting for a better world!
I know someone who is currently making a mod, and since I can't post on your profile for some reason, I decided to ask here if you would be willing to talk about how you would update/change Corrin in Smash, seeing as Corrin is your favorite character of all time.

Pink Yoshi

Smash Lord
I know someone who is currently making a mod, and since I can't post on your profile for some reason, I decided to ask here if you would be willing to talk about how you would update/change Corrin in Smash, seeing as Corrin is your favorite character of all time.
Very interesting...Well, I really like Corrin's moveset as is, to be honest. I'd buff his throws at least, those never seem to get me very far. I'd also give him an extra jump - he can simply use his wings for an extra boost before having to use his Up-B. That's most of what I think would work well for me without making him completely busted.

BTW he's not actually my favorite character of all time, that's Caitlin Cooke from 6teen

Top Bottom