• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your favorite staller?

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Hey guys! Post your favorite Pokemon you like using to stall! It can either be your favorite method of stalling or the most efficient way to stall. Please try to be creative and stray away from using the more common Pokemon out there. I'll start off~

Shedinja @ Focus Sash
Wonder Guard/Jolly
252spd/empty (there's nowhere else to put it)
-Protect
-Endure
-Toxic
-Swagger

Protect and Endure for up to 20 turns of stalling. Poisoning every poke you see along the way. Focus Sash in case you get hit while mispredicting an attack. Swagger to speed up the poisoning process if they can't hit you. Not that efficient, but I like it a lot. A LOT!

Weaknesses: Fire, Flying, Rock, Ghost, Dark, Weather.

Jibbles

Smash Apprentice
That Sheddy set doesn't work, because Protect + Endure goes by the same counter, meaning that if you Protect on turn one, then on turn two Endure will have 50% chance of working, just like if you used Protect again

ss118

Smash Master
^^^ he's right

Annoyers don't work anymore. They were good in GSC because of the defensive nature of the metagame.
They became gimmicky in advance due to the appearance of Choice band and monsters like Salamence and Metagross.
Now in DP, we have a monster with 130 base attack, 102 base speed, and a 120 STAB move. to make things worse, it gets SWORDS DANCE!!!

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Stall teams typically rely on chip damage. Usually, that means sandstorm/hail, spikes/toxic spikes/stealth rock, a bunch of walls, protect, and roar.

Of course, anything with taunt pretty much shuts them down.

TombStone

Smash Journeyman
I think I stole this from Wii4Mii's Hail team when I was putting one together myself.

Walrein @ Leftovers
Ice Body
Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 158 SpDef
-Protect
-Roar
-Rest
-Blizzard

In a Hailstorm, Ice Body + Leftovers is a 12% return, every turn. Protect to stave off every other turn, and he gets 25% back for every potential attack thrown at him. Roar serves to phaze and do damage (Stealth Rocks and/or Toxic Spikes would have been set beforehand). Rest when damage becomes critical or to get rid of that pesky status. And STAB Blizzard in a Hailstorm is sexy even from a defensive Pokemon.

Weakness: Fighting, Rock (Stealth Rocks suck), Electric (if its from a viable threat), Grass (Blizzard **** may ensue).

A fun counter I learned for this guy was to wait for the Hera switch in and then Protect. Since just about every Heracross has a Choice set, it would get locked in and I would switch to Frosslass to lol at Close Combat. It happened a lot too, people always threw a Heracross at Stallrein.

ss118

Smash Master
I think I stole this from Wii4Mii's Hail team when I was putting one together myself.

Walrein @ Leftovers
Ice Body
Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 158 SpDef
-Protect
-Roar
-Rest
-Blizzard

In a Hailstorm, Ice Body + Leftovers is a 12% return, every turn. Protect to stave off every other turn, and he gets 25% back for every potential attack thrown at him. Roar serves to phaze and do damage (Stealth Rocks and/or Toxic Spikes would have been set beforehand). Rest when damage becomes critical or to get rid of that pesky status. And STAB Blizzard in a Hailstorm is sexy even from a defensive Pokemon.

Weakness: Fighting, Rock (Stealth Rocks suck), Electric (if its from a viable threat), Grass (Blizzard **** may ensue).

A fun counter I learned for this guy was to wait for the Hera switch in and then Protect. Since just about every Heracross has a Choice set, it would get locked in and I would switch to Frosslass to lol at Close Combat. It happened a lot too, people always threw a Heracross at Stallrein.
it should have substitute and 216 HP EVs. Why?
because your subs should cost 104 HP(seismic toss can't break it) and you recover 52 HP per turn. what does that mean?
INFINITE STALLING!
you just alternate between Protect and Substitute. Works best with Toxic Spikes.

TombStone

Smash Journeyman
it should have substitute and 216 HP EVs. Why?
because your subs should cost 104 HP(seismic toss can't break it) and you recover 52 HP per turn. what does that mean?
INFINITE STALLING!
you just alternate between Protect and Substitute. Works best with Toxic Spikes.
I actually ran that set on the first Stallrein I tried. It is definitely the type that looks good on paper but fails in practicality. It has some very good uses, but the set up is a bit situational whereas the one I posted can usually jump right in after any form of spikes has been laid and then proceed to own.

Danielman

Smash Apprentice
Vespiqueen has to be it.

Vespiqueen@Leftovers
EV: Atk 52 Def 100 Sp Def 100 Hp 252
Heal Order
Defend Order
Attack Order
Protect

Protect,Defend Order and Repeat. Attack Whenever You feel like it And Heal When necesary
Till Your Oponent is Out of PP.

MRogue

Smash Rookie
He isn't used much, but Cradily has become not only my favorite wall, but one of my favorites altogether:

Cradily@Lefties
Forgot the EVs, lots of HP, Def and Sp.Def
-Recover
-Grass Knot
-Leech Seed
-Mirror Coat

In a Sandstorm (I run a Sandstorm team), this thing is a ***** to kill, and I love him for it.

Top Bottom