• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your favorite game controller?

Favorite Controller?

• NES controller

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Genesis Controller

• Dreamcast controller

• Wii u gamepad

• Wii u pro controller

• Total voters

MattPlaysSmash

Smash Cadet
NNID
Matt16545
Today I had talked to a couple friends about what their favorite game controller was, and I had came up with that, it was a tie between the Gamecube controller and 360 controller, I wanna know what you guys think.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I recently held an N64 controller and it was uncomfortable.

Personally I like the freedom of the wii mote + nunchuk

I don't have to have my hands together

Vashimus

Smash Master

DualShock all the way. PS1 & 2 were the only home consoles I had growing up, but once I did get the chance to try out other company's controllers, they could never beat the Dualshock. The Gamecube Controller comes pretty damn close, but the buttons wear out on me much quicker (ESPECIALLY Z-Button) and the d-pad is ****ing terrible. My old PS1 controllers still work and feel as responsive as ever. Best controller ever made.

finalark

SNORLAX
DualShock all the way. PS1 & 2 were the only home consoles I had growing up, but once I did get the chance to try out other company's controllers, they could never beat the Dualshock. The Gamecube Controller comes pretty damn close, but the buttons wear out on me much quicker (ESPECIALLY Z-Button) and the d-pad is ****ing terrible. My old PS1 controllers still work and feel as responsive as ever. Best controller ever made.
I grew up with GCN and PS1 priamily (although I did have a Genesis that disappeared when I moved across the country). It if wasn't for the fact that GCN controllers don't seem as durable as PS1 controllers they would take the top spot for me, but these days some of my GCN controllers are really starting to show wear while my old PS1 controllers work perfectly fine.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
I can safely say the GameCube controller is my favorite. But the Genesis controller is a close number two.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
360 controller hands down is my favorite.
On a side note, I do want to say that I think the Dreamcast is one of the worst.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
On a side note, I do want to say that I think the Dreamcast is one of the worst.
I'd actually like the highly disagree with this. IMO the Dreamcast has a really comfortable controller that gives you plenty of room for you fingers on the grips. The triggers feel responsible, the control stick is easily maneuverable without feeling loose and the buttons work just fine. Yeah, it looks uncomfortable but it's actually really great to play with IMO. The only thing that sucks about it is that SEGA left a huge blank spot under the buttons that should have been used for a second control stick.

The D-Pad is really iffy, though. Thankfully most of the DC controllers have it raised instead of sunk in.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
I'd actually like the highly disagree with this. IMO the Dreamcast has a really comfortable controller that gives you plenty of room for you fingers on the grips. The triggers feel responsible, the control stick is easily maneuverable without feeling loose and the buttons work just fine. Yeah, it looks uncomfortable but it's actually really great to play with IMO. The only thing that sucks about it is that SEGA left a huge blank spot under the buttons that should have been used for a second control stick.

The D-Pad is really iffy, though. Thankfully most of the DC controllers have it raised instead of sunk in.
The main problem I have with it is the placement of the control stick (which is a little rough) and the left trigger. They're too close together and it feels so awkward and uncomfortable. And this is a little bit of a problem because a lot of noteworthy Dreamcast games are fighters so its awkward. And as you said, the D-Pad is a little rugged so the control stick is the better way to go.

finalark

SNORLAX
The main problem I have with it is the placement of the control stick (which is a little rough) and the left trigger. They're too close together and it feels so awkward and uncomfortable. And this is a little bit of a problem because a lot of noteworthy Dreamcast games are fighters so its awkward. And as you said, the D-Pad is a little rugged so the control stick is the better way to go.
That is true. I guess for me, I really don't play a ton of fighters so I never really noticed. Although that lack of a second control stick really, really hurts a ton of games.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
The Dualshock was always awesome for me. I love how from the PS1 to PS3, Sony essentially kept the same controller through 3 generations, only adding a rumble feature and joysticks, because it always felt so comfortable and fit well in the hands. The SNES controller was simple and alright too, but I think 2nd place for me would have to be the Dreamcast controller, actually.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
That is true. I guess for me, I really don't play a ton of fighters so I never really noticed. Although that lack of a second control stick really, really hurts a ton of games.
Yeah. When I played Code Veronica and Sonic Adventure, the problem wasn't there. But I did play the hell out of SF3 so it would always annoy me.

JediLink

Smash Ace
Although I've only held it briefly and haven't spent much time with it, I have to say that the Dualshock 4 is the best controller I've ever held. I can't fault a single thing with it.

finalark

SNORLAX
Although I've only held it briefly and haven't spent much time with it, I have to say that the Dualshock 4 is the best controller I've ever held. I can't fault a single thing with it.
I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, although it looks amazingly comfortable.

On the topic of current gen, IMO the Xbone controller is extremely disappointing. I actually loved the 360 controller, sans iffy d-pad. Hell, even though I prefer PS3 it was certainly a joy to use over the PS3 and its hyper sensitive R2/L2 buttons. But then you go and pick up the Xbone controller and its like... ****. It just feels like they suddenly went back to the old Xbox classic controller.

JeanLucAwesome

Smash Rookie
NNID
JeanLuc Awesome
3DS FC
5026-5644-5277
Cop out answer, it depends...

But seriously, when it comes to 2D platformers, shmnups and fighting games.. nothing beats the Sega Saturn controller. That d-pad is a freak'n masterpiece.

For overall design, I do like the Dualshock 4 and the way it sits in my hands but the individual button d-pad thing the PS controllers have always had isn't great. I don't get some of the praise it gets. It's better than the 360's abomination but that doesn't make it the best. It works but I can't be as precise as I want to be.

Put a saturn d-pad in the Dualshock 4 and it'd be the perfect controller for me.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
The 'Dual Shock' has to be one of the most overrated things in video games ever. The whole layout of it is archaic due to the fact it gives precedence to the d-pad. We all know that control sticks are better for 3D games whereas d-pads are better for 2D games, but ever since the N64 and Playstation came along 3D games have been by far the norm, therefore any game controller should be more catered to 3D games. Nintendo, Sega and Microsoft realised this which is why the controllers for the Gamecube, Dreamcast and Xboxs put the control stick at the top of the controller and the d-pad below and why those controllers are superior to the Dual Shock. Sony should also have realised this and should have switched the d-pad with the control stick at some point.

Every time I play a PsOne game, I will always use the d-pad if I have the option to. Not too long ago I played through Spyro 1 and 2, I tried using the control stick, but I found it was far too awkward stretching my thumb down the controller towards it. I rarely play a PS2 or 3 due to not owning one myself, but I when I do I instinctively try using the d-pad because it's where the control stick should be, and then I stink at the game since I find using the stick completely 'wrong' - awkward, uncomfortable, unnatural etc. It's not just the Dual Shock, the Wii Classic Controller has the same design and ergo the same problem - it's great for playing 2D games (which I guess it's primarily designed for due to the Virtual Console) but I hate trying to use it for games that require you to use control stick such as Brawl or N64 games.

There's not much else wrong with the Dual Shock, and if it wasn't for that flaw it probably would be perfect. However that flaw is a massive flaw which makes it a poor controller in my opinion. The popularity of it has always completely baffled me.

The best controller ever in my opinion is the Gamecube. It's the Dual Shock done right, along with a few extra great things. The control sticks are amazingly comfortable and responsive (and in the right places); the face button layout works well, I find it easier to move between those 4 buttons than I do the conventional + layout; the triggers are excellent, extremely comfortable and responsive, and the pressure sensitivity works really well for games like Super Mario Sunshine; it's nice to look at; it's very comfortable to hold and use... It's as close to perfect as we've had so far, the only reel fault it has is the small d-pad.

Vashimus

Smash Master
The 'Dual Shock' has to be one of the most overrated things in video games ever. The whole layout of it is archaic due to the fact it gives precedence to the d-pad. We all know that control sticks are better for 3D games whereas d-pads are better for 2D games, but ever since the N64 and Playstation came along 3D games have been by far the norm, therefore any game controller should be more catered to 3D games. Nintendo, Sega and Microsoft realised this which is why the controllers for the Gamecube, Dreamcast and Xboxs put the control stick at the top of the controller and the d-pad below and why those controllers are superior to the Dual Shock. Sony should also have realised this and should have switched the d-pad with the control stick at some point.
F*ck you and the Gamecube you grew up on. You ain't taking away my lowered thumb-stick.

Vashimus

Smash Master
I grew up on both and like both equally, can't we all just get along?

That being said, he actually has some really good points.
I just know I'd be mad as heck if they changed it now.

I will admit the Classic controller's left stick is odd because there are no grips for the rest of your hand to rest on. I've never tried the Controller Pro, but it's probably much better.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
F*ck you and the Gamecube you grew up on. You ain't taking away my lowered thumb-stick.
What a intelligent, measured, articulate and though provoking response. Ha ha, I was lucky enough to have a lot of consoles 'growing up', one of those consoles was indeed the Gamecube, but guess what I had before one of those? A Playstation. I have very fond memories of the Playstation console (not its controller though) playing the likes of the original Crash Bandicoot games, the original Spyro trilogy, the original Tomb Raiders, Croc... All 3D games, but I can't remember ever using the control stick much for any of them. I always preferred using the d-pad, using the control stick on that controller always felt unnatural. The only time I used it was in Ape Escape where you had to, but I never liked that game anyway.

Think about it, virtually every other controller since the NES you hold in the same way, with your hands/thumbs parallel. Like this:

The Dual Shock forces you to position your hands in a different position, like so:

That's actually a pretty big difference. It is to me anyway, someone who's being holding controllers the way of the first image ever since he picked up a Master System controller at the age of about 3. That's why the Dual Shock feels completely unnatural and awkward to me, why I instinctively always try controlling my character with the d-pad whenever I use one. Maybe for people who started gaming on the PS1 or PS2 (which is probably quite a significant portion of the gaming community nowadays) it doesn't feel unnatural at all, maybe holding it in that way (second image) is completely natural to them since that's what they've always done, but I can only speak for myself. Maybe that's why the Dual Shock is so popular? Nostalgia and the general huge popularity of the Playstation consoles are probably also reasons. Like I said before, I've always been baffled why it's so popular, because I can't see any benefits whatsoever of having the d-pad and control stick that way round.

I've never tried the Controller Pro, but it's probably much better.
Don't worry, you're not missing much, it's almost as bad as the Dual Shock :troll:.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I made my two choices, didn't take much time either. I went with the PS2 Dual Shock and the GameCube controller. I think that the PS2 controller has a better analog stick. It also has a far better D-pad too. With the GameCube controller, The shoulder buttons feel alot better to press. And it fits well in your hands. I guess the face buttons on either one work about as well as the other.

BoomToon

Smash Apprentice
The Dual Shock 4 has recently taken over as my favorite controller. It just feels extremely comfortable to me. I've actually always preferred Sony's controllers.

Top Bottom