• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your edge guard game?

Basseidon

Smash Cadet
NNID
Baaseidon
So El Lagarto has a few options to keep opponents at bay or punish them on the edge. I was curious as to what your preferred methods are.

I use several techniques but a classic and safe bet is a flame thrower to mess with their recovery. It's detrimental to a few characters, Lil Mac and Captain Falcon for example.

Last edited:

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
My choice of edgeguarding depends on the character.

For Ness, Yoshi, and Falcon, I like to mess them up by dropping off with a Nair. There's little risk to doing it. Either they deal with me, risk losing momentum, and most likely fall their death, or they try to find some alternative safe path back to the stage. Either way, it's safe to at least go for it. If you hit them during their double jump you can net a stock off of it easily.

For Diddy, I'll jump offstage and flamethrower him. It's sooo effective at gimping his recovery

For Bowser Jr, I do the same thing as diddy. Only if he recovers low.

For Fox, first I see if he's bad. If he phantasm's back to the stage in a predictable way, I punish that with smashes. Lots of smashes.
If he decides to go for firefox, I'll occasionally run off, flareblitz towards the stage, and try to stage spike him out of it. It's so satisfying to pull off.

For Rosalina, just Dsmash her out of her Up B. Her head pokes above the stage right before she snaps on. If i have a good read on her angle, i'll just intercept it with a fair. Offstage fair kills at crazy percents.

For Pikachu I-- Pffff, who am I kidding... you can't gimp pikachu... he'll just... he'll just...

:006:

Basseidon

Smash Cadet
NNID
Baaseidon
I'll have to try out the flame thrower off the edge. With Falcon though, all you have to do is stand on the edge and flamethrower. He can recover from it, but if you keep at it, it's up to him not to mess up. If you do catch it just right, it's an auto gimp but that's partly on the player's fault for predictable recovery path.

With the Bair buffed, I've been trying to use it more as a edge guarf, but Nair or FB sounds more practical. I've never purposely tried to flare blitz them on their return to the stage. I feel kind of dumb for not trying it haha.

As for pickachu..... Yeah he annoys me in everything he does.

Last edited:

Pixel_

Smash Ace
You've never tried D-air? It's literally the most satisfying way to kill, other than maybe offstage B-air or Dragon rush/FB.

Last edited:

AetherStorm

Smash Cadet
NNID
AetherStorm
3DS FC
3093-7092-7192
Yo, sick ledge guard option: while they're on the ledge, SH fair, but fade back, chances are, you'll bait a roll or a getup attack, which can be covered by the sourspot and sweetspot, respectively, of fsmash.

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
For Pikachu I-- Pffff, who am I kidding... you can't gimp pikachu... he'll just... he'll just...
Flamethrower and Down Smash work quite well against Pikachu? Down Smash especially if he recovers low.

SkyboundTerror

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SkyboundTerror
3DS FC
0559-6972-5367
I usually just resort to Flamethrower if I don't feel confident about the edge guard. Most of the time, though, I'll jump out backwards to try to bait an air-dodge, if they're recovering high. Then I'm free to do whatever - back air, down air, up air, or up b. If I know they won't dodge, I'll just jump back to the stage and throw out a rock or fire.

If they try recovering low... sucks to be them. lol

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
My choice of edgeguarding depends on the character.

For Ness, Yoshi, and Falcon, I like to mess them up by dropping off with a Nair. There's little risk to doing it. Either they deal with me, risk losing momentum, and most likely fall their death, or they try to find some alternative safe path back to the stage. Either way, it's safe to at least go for it. If you hit them during their double jump you can net a stock off of it easily.

For Diddy, I'll jump offstage and flamethrower him. It's sooo effective at gimping his recovery

For Bowser Jr, I do the same thing as diddy. Only if he recovers low.

For Fox, first I see if he's bad. If he phantasm's back to the stage in a predictable way, I punish that with smashes. Lots of smashes.
If he decides to go for firefox, I'll occasionally run off, flareblitz towards the stage, and try to stage spike him out of it. It's so satisfying to pull off.

For Rosalina, just Dsmash her out of her Up B. Her head pokes above the stage right before she snaps on. If i have a good read on her angle, i'll just intercept it with a fair. Offstage fair kills at crazy percents.

:006:
If you drop off with a Nair, I sure hope you love stage teching because you are asking for them to go for a stage spike lol. If you miss, of course.

I think y'all also underestimate how great bair is for stage spiking. Abuse that bair.

I honestly usually don't even go offstage until kill percent or if I think I can land a Dair/gimp easily. Just covering ledge options can net you a lot of percent and help you keep stage control. I like to chill at the ledge in shield and try to keep them there. It's harder with lag though. It's also definitely my go to for pikachu though. Double jump Fair and quick attack back on stage are such strong options for pika.

Last edited:

Pi Aaa

Smash Rookie
I've been labbing/theorycrafting this one out and managed to pull it off in friendlies today.

Against characters with crappy recoveries and ledge options like Donkey Kong, I've been using Flamethrower to tack on some damage at the ledge. Right when they grab the ledge again, you can ledge trump them into a guaranteed ledge hop nair. What's nice about this is that your Flamethrower recharges a bit by the time they reach the ledge again if they're at higher percents, so you can abuse their recovery with Flamethrower again.

They could avoid the ledge trump by immediately doing a ledge option before getting trumped, but it's something extra they have to worry about and makes their ledge game a little more predictable.

Godzillionaire

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Crit-Hit
3DS FC
3797-7329-5972
If I know where they're going for certain I pop a dair and go for a spike, and if they're coming to the ledge horizontally I use a down tilt to give them a little nudge to make setting up a dair much easier

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
I've been labbing/theorycrafting this one out and managed to pull it off in friendlies today.

Against characters with crappy recoveries and ledge options like Donkey Kong, I've been using Flamethrower to tack on some damage at the ledge. Right when they grab the ledge again, you can ledge trump them into a guaranteed ledge hop nair. What's nice about this is that your Flamethrower recharges a bit by the time they reach the ledge again if they're at higher percents, so you can abuse their recovery with Flamethrower again.

They could avoid the ledge trump by immediately doing a ledge option before getting trumped, but it's something extra they have to worry about and makes their ledge game a little more predictable.
I dig this a whole lot. Does bair also work? Whenever I ledge trump, I usually just chill on the stage in shield waiting to cover whatever option they go for but sometimes I botch the punish in thick lag. I dsmash if they regrab the ledge and usually Fly OoS if they try to cross me up with an aerial. Ledge hop bair would be way more straightforward though.

Pi Aaa

Smash Rookie
I dig this a whole lot. Does bair also work? Whenever I ledge trump, I usually just chill on the stage in shield waiting to cover whatever option they go for but sometimes I botch the punish in thick lag. I dsmash if they regrab the ledge and usually Fly OoS if they try to cross me up with an aerial. Ledge hop bair would be way more straightforward though.
Ledge hop bair works but it's a little slow, and they could potentially jump or air dodge before bair hits. It's worth going for though.

Last edited:

SirJuicius

Smash Apprentice
My favorite is f-air, but most players I face are smart enough to not recover so high. My next go-to move would be flamethrower standing at the edge. With the angle manipulation, it can do a good job of gimping opponents. After that, I'd try d-air because why not? That and n-air are pretty much equal, but I prioritize d-air more only because I'm not confident in n-air, as I am not really sure about the whole spacing with the move, as well as when the hitboxes appear. Telling me the frame numbers can only tell me so much.

Pi Aaa

Smash Rookie
What are some good options to deal with the 1 frame ledge snap vulnerability?

I tried dsmash at the ledge, but it's only active for 3 frames and I found it really hard to land even against Sheik's up B. Dair seems to work a bit better since it's active for 9 frames and the sourspot can potentially stage spike, but I have to guess when they're going for the ledge.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
I practiced for a few days trying to dair Sheik's, I got it working like half the time. They can just not sweetspot though.

Flamethrower/Fireball Cannon works as long as they don't come up from under a lip. Cannon is really funny on ROB.

Fsmash works on characters who extend a body part before they sweetspot.

Nair could be good but the duration and positioning feels weird. It might be slower than dair to hit underneath you, which means you have to drop down and double jump nair to get it. Just not good.

Run/jump off bair is good against larger characters.

On Delfino/Halberd floating platforms, you can side B into the edge and hold down to keep going since there is no wall to crash into, very potent with Blast Burn.

Last edited:

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
Flamethrower is great against characters like Bowser, Marth/Lucina, Ganondorf, CFalcon, Luigi

They end up having to mash up B continuously in order to on the stage, and that's where I can easily smash them because they end up going on the stage and not the ledge.

Marrow

Speak softly and carry a Thick Club
3DS FC
1993-9950-1450
Flamethrower is great against characters like Bowser, Marth/Lucina, Ganondorf, CFalcon, Luigi

They end up having to mash up B continuously in order to on the stage, and that's where I can easily smash them because they end up going on the stage and not the ledge.
I've even used it on Robins who use their 2nd jump before. Nothing is more satisfying than watching that Elwind tome fall into the abyss.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Ive never been able to use Flamethrower to prevent recovery. They always manage to get the ledge and go invulnerable anyway even if im right on it aiming down.

My anti-recovery is usually nair or fair. I'll mix it up sometimes and let them get the edge and do the whole run off bair return and since his bair hits so damn hard ive gotten some kills that way too (across the screen no less). I'd probably suggest that be the main one but Charizard's double jump/triple jump turns him around, which makes bairs really freaking hard to use instead of fairs. Kinda wish he didnt turn around.

Top Bottom