• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's your Controller Set Up for Mega Man?

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I'm curious to see what buttons people have mapped for Mega Man, especially those who know how to do his advanced techniques like forward Metal Blade glide tosses reliably.

I'm primarily looking for GameCube controller set ups, but by all means show your set ups on other controllers if you use them.

Last edited:

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
If you are going with a GC Controller, I think putting A to jump, with X & Y for Attacks (regular & special) andB for Grabs might work. It would make it easy to SH Nair, since the A button is so big.

I'm still struggling with my WiiChuck button map. A -> Jump is really good, but using C for regular attacks is just clunky...

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
My personal belief of the optimal control scheme for megaman is as follows.

Shoulder buttons must include Shield,grab, and jump. Personal Buttons used are L for jump, R for shield, z for grab.

Reasons for this is shoulder jump allows all benefits of tap jump without the risk of accidentally jumping EVER(jump cancels, the ability to do perfect retreating fairs/advancing bairs via c sticking the opposite way you are moving), while allowing you to have full sideways momentum the entire jump, also you can keep your thumb on the c stick AND do perfectly buffered aerials, no travel time for your fingers unlike X/Y jump or limits like tap jump.

Shield you always want instantly available in case of a sudden need for shielding or dodging. Grab is so you are able to z drop and keep your thumb on c stick for instant catch or toss options with no finger travel time.

A is attack, B is special, Y is grab and X is jump. You want 4 different inputs for the optimal mashing method.

C stick is set to tilt stick for no air momentum loss aerials, buffering up airs out of jump (both of these ONLY possible with tilt stick, smash stick aerials disallow both). And for easy access to tilts, also gaining the unique ability to nair while moving without dropping momentum via perfect diagonal inputs on the tilt stick(once again, smash stick cannot do this.) smashes meanwhile arent that important for mega so its a win win. You do lose access to the easy super glide toss upwards throw you'd have with smash stick though, but luckily..

You can do both up and forward super glide toss by keeping A+B smash enabled and learning to do the inputs with that. Tap jump is off as it has a chance of accidentally triggering jump and you get ALL the benefits of it and X/Y jumping by using a shoulder button to jump.

There is my control scheme that I consider optimal for mega, any questions or suggestions please do post but I cannot think of any way to improve this control scheme on the GCUBE controller.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Shoulder buttons must include Shield,grab, and jump. Personal Buttons used are L for jump, R for shield, z for grab.

A is attack, B is special, Y is grab and X is jump. You want 4 different inputs for the optimal mashing method.
Those are my controls exactly. Except I'm new to setting L to jump and I don't really like it so I've been regressing to not using the button like I was before.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Those are my controls exactly. Except I'm new to setting L to jump and I don't really like it so I've been regressing to not using the button like I was before.
If you're having trouble learning to use L to jump properly, you could follow the method I did to learn it. All you need to do is ensure tap jump is off, and ensure you have no other button set to jump at all except for L.Set your old jump button to grab or shield so that you whiff a jump EVERY time you do your old input. It will force you to learn the new jump button properly! That's how I did it anyways.

Oh, I should add for my previous post as far as controls it doesn't change the inputs at all, but I vastly prefer Digital shoulder buttons over the spring based analog shoulder buttons. If you would prefer a button L/R instead of spring based L/R I recommend following the youtube video in a post I'll link below. I've had this done to my shoulder buttons for ages and I love it.

http://smashboards.com/threads/retired-de-spring-veteran-no-more-springless-smash-4-guide.379191/

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172

JesusMorpheus

Smash Cadet
NNID
omar0320
3DS FC
1435-4404-0742
I use default controls with tap jump off and tilt stick. Being able to use slide out of my walk is super helpful as a get off me option when they aren't expecting it. Also helps for killing luma easily and i don't lose momentum when doing aerials with it. I tried using L to jump but i found myself never using it enough to warrant it being a necessity for me so i just stick with shield on L.

BugDoctor

Smash Apprentice
I use default controls with Smash stick for the super glide toss. I've technically got my R button changed to jump, but don't use it at all. Also I keep A+B Smash on for easier pivot F-Smashes, which I find to be very useful for Mega Man.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Just gonna throw this out there again lol, but properly learning L, R, or Z as your fulltime jump button will offer more movement options and control overall than tap jump or X/Y jump will EVER allow. Just gonna re-recommend literally removing all other jump buttons by switching them to grab or shield so you get punished for using the old one, this will force you to learn the optimal button of your choice(L,R,Z).

It's a hit to you in the short run, but a growth for yourself in the long run. We've got years of this game left, just consider it.

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
@Smasher 101 I had it like that before but for me I will never go back because I learned to do all the jump techs with default button. And im way better at Sh pelleting without shoulder button for jump. Sliding ligtning fast with the thumb is way better for me instead of inputting the shoulder button when I want to jump in high paced button inputs.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Wreck33 Wreck33

You might be able to do most inputs just as fast with that control scheme, but there are certain things that are almost impossible to do frame perfect. I'll throw some examples.

Perfect movement aerials:
To do a retreating fair with A and X/Y means you cant fully be moving backwards while doing the fair. You have to spend a moment with the left stick forward meaning you can't move back as far. You can say you will instead C stick the aerial, but to move your thumb for x/y to the c stick instantly is a travel time that might slow you down a few frames, if you have a shoulder jump your thumb can already be on the c stick as you jump.

Same thing as above applies to advancing bair, if you ever need to do it but in reverse.

I don't do this next one yet since I only just swapped to tilt stick a few weeks ago, but I've been working on it and plan to become perfect at it as time goes on.

So, to do a nair means at least for the first nair you have to not be moving in the air for a minumum (likely more than just) 1 frame. With tilt stick, you can do nairs that don't force you to stop moving EVER via perfect diagonal inputs. If you have X/Y jump you'd have to deal with constant travel time between thumb to c stick and X/Y, whereas with shoulder jump there is no travel time meaning it's ultimately the most optimal.

I am speaking 100% in terms of optimal and not comfort controls though. You can do most stuff with X/Y still just fine, I just think if anyone is aiming to be the absolute best they can be then they need a control scheme that offers the maximum in options and consistency versus something that's more comfortable but slightly limited in comparison.

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
Aight yes thats how it is with those moves as you explain it. Just never missed those. However there are scenarios where I miss aerial follow ups because of it. I mapped special instead for an easier time with som MB techs. And then zdrop I need on Z that leaves no empty shoulder for me since GC only have 3 :(.

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
I use classic controller and have B as Jump, Y as Attack, and X as special. Nothing else too fancy. L is Grab.

I find the classic controller buttons much more responsive than GC. Mostly the shoulders but the main buttons seem easier to short hop. Plus a good Cstick. The only problem is having to sync it and some tourney's don't allow it. I can't go to any big ones anyways.

I can see the argument for the optimal controls, but I've never had trouble doing what I want to do. Maybe cause the classic is smaller and more compact. The time it takes to move my thumb from B/Y to Cstick is negligible as my thumb is practically touching the Cstick in neutral position. The rest of the time I don't have to move my fingers much at all.

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
I have been using the wii u pro controller ever since the game launched with ZL/ZR for grab, L/R for shield, A for attack, B for special, X and Y for jump with tap jump off. BUT, I'm thinking about adjusting my current controller set up and there are a couple set ups that I'm strongly considering.

The first one is sticking with the wii u pro controller, but I'm debating whether or not if I should change my right analog stick/c-stick from smash attack to tilt/attack. Both of them have their pros and cons and I'm currently leading towards changing it to tilt/attack, but smash attack also has its' own benefits that tilt/attack doesn't have. I also want to do something with the ZL and L buttons as I almost never use them, but I'm not sure what commands they would have though.

The second one is going with the gamecube controller with possibly the set up that S smasher1001 talked about. If I go the gamecube controller route, I wouldn't have to suffer as much from input lag as I would with the wii u pro controller and I COULD maximize my full poteintail. At the same time though, I am A LOT more comfortable with the wii u pro controller then I am with the gamecube controller.

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
My experience with Pro controller is that you cant control movment since the stick is so sensitive. Pivots hard, run to walk is hard, diagonal walk inputs hard. Maybe its just my stick on my controller I dunno but it makes it impossible to have good movement. Its all run and lose frame skids all over the place in my experience. But its not all bad it does have better shoulder buttons.

I have standard control scheme on GC. Tap jump off, tilt stick, R set to specials to do easier/faster MB throws out of jumps and for leafshield momentum cancels on rush.
Y button on grab so I can do insta tosses, zdrop techs and invinciblades. You can sacrifice this and put shield on Y instead if you rather want a faster shield since shield on trigger is a few frames slower on GC. Shield on button makes PShields alot easier but you lose flashy stuff.

Last edited:

Unix

Smash Cadet
I never liked Gamecube control.

The size of their buttons are very strange compared with Nes Controller.

Apparently this controller is made to play with this position.

Fortunately, it is much easier adapt to SNES controller or similar to it.

I chose Classic Controller Pro. I love put my finger in "half-moon position".

This controller is very well done considering this form to play. I find Wii U Pro Controller uncomfortable, but I think the problem is my button settings, it produces a different feeling due to the location thereof.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I never liked Gamecube control.

The size of their buttons are very strange compared with Nes Controller.

Apparently this controller is made to play with this position.

Fortunately, it is much easier adapt to SNES controller or similar to it.

I chose Classic Controller Pro. I love put my finger in "half-moon position".

This controller is very well done considering this form to play. I find Wii U Pro Controller uncomfortable, but I think the problem is my button settings, it produces a different feeling due to the location thereof.
How do you manage to slide your thumb from jump to special comfortably?

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
Okay. So I've been trying out the second method minus L for jump and instead have it for grab at the moment and so far, it's going all right. At first, it was awkward adjusting this new setup. But, I'm getting used to it. Not sure yet if I'll change the button input for L or not.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
You can sacrifice this and put shield on Y instead if you rather want a faster shield since shield on trigger is a few frames slower on GC. Shield on button makes PShields alot easier but you lose flashy stuff.
Imma just repost my comment from earlier, you can get digital shoulder buttons with this mod! I love it to pieces and fully recommend it!

If you would prefer a button L/R instead of spring based L/R I recommend following the youtube video in a post I'll link below. I've had this done to my shoulder buttons for ages and I love it.

http://smashboards.com/threads/retired-de-spring-veteran-no-more-springless-smash-4-guide.379191/

This lets you have your shoulders be buttons just like your a/b/x/y!

Baron Cappuccino

Smash Rookie
I use a Gamecube controller - one of the black Smash logo deals everyone uses.

I set L to jump, and this is what I use to get myself back on stage.
R is set to block.
Z is grab.

B is normal attack.
A is also jump, because I can't short-hop with L trigger.
X is special attack.
Y is grab, though I usually use Z.

I turned off jumping with the stick because it made up tilt impossible for me.

DetectiveAlexVolnutt

Smash Rookie
NNID
XBusterAXL
I personally just turn off Tap Jump and A+B Smash, Smash Stick is left on, and I'm used to using X as a jump, so that stays as it is. I leave Y alone. I feel like I can justify keeping things relatively simple. Mega Man shouldn't really be running around all too often, so I find tilts out of walking to be pretty easy. Glide Tossing is really easy to do with a Smash Stick and makes following up pretty easy to do, since grabs are really easy to get and Smash Attacks are pretty devastating in this state. It's like a wavedash, all your grounded options open up, so go nuts. I'm not too worried about losing momentum when doing aerials because Mega Man has really good drift anyways and it's easy to get his aerials out. He's got all of his reliable tools readily available when you keep things simple, really. Haven't tried a shoulder button for jump yet, but I don't feel like having X as a jump makes things harder than it needs to be. A quick tap on the button makes short hopping pretty easy, so long as you remember to move your thumb away and do what you gotta do. Overall, I like working with what I'm familiar with. It makes playing Mega Man pretty simple for me, at the end of the day. There's more to it, I'm sure, but that's my opinion on a standard setup.

Top Bottom