• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's wrong with Tiebreakers?

Platurt

Smash Rookie
In single elimination there's almost always a tiebreaker to decide who's 3rd and who's 4th place.

So why not do the same in double elimination? This way, we'd have a clear top 8. I guess a lot of ppl don't like it, which is probably why there still aren't any in double elimination, but I have yet to hear a reason against it.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
The way I see it, the main issue might be time.
Top 8 is already long as it is and 2 additional sets might difficult to bear for a lot of events.
I guess it can be done if it's truly necessary (and I think it has been done before).
:196;

JagerCrush

Smash Cadet
The big arguments against it are:

-TIME (it's more work for TO's and it is already hard enough to keep things running on time) it likely isn't worth running a 2nd stream for for 7th/8th or 5th/6th matches so you would further delay top 4 matches and everything that follows it such as other games/singles etc)

-INTEREST (people tend to lose interest in players that are eliminated from winning and don't usually care whether they get 7th or 8th, or 5th or 6th. The players who have been playing all day and no longer have a chance to win also often don't feel like playing more.)

-PRIZE MONEY (if there is a top 8 payout you give X dollars to the two players/teams that got 7th/8th. Considering your average tournament has a fairly low payout for that placing you will likely see people not care, like they would rather just go get dinner than play another set for the potential for a small amount of extra money. There simply isn't much incentive or motivation for the players at that point.)

In double elim there's no need to differentiate between 3rd and 4th and unless it's winner take all a tournament typically has a top 8 or a top 3 payout. So if 3rd place gets money and 4th place gets nothing there is significant reason for a single elim tourney to play a match between 3rd/4th. Similarly to how the Olympics have a Bronze Medal Match.

Those are the main reasons I can think of against it. Though I do understand that some players and viewers would like to see top 8 play out but I think you will likely find far more people against it.

Top Bottom