• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Whats wrong with the C-Stick in this game

neohopeSTF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
abcdefgf
Switch FC
SW-0259-5915-4107
As the title says the C-Stick seems really buggy, terrible momentum when set to Smashes, when set to tilts occasionally nothing will happen at all. It also has a problem of doing neutral attacks instead of Smashes/Tilts like doing Nair when you you are trying to do Fair.

Last edited:

noshadowkick

Smash Rookie
I have noticed this as well, but I use a PDP fight pad so I have chalked it up to a crappy controller. What controller do you use?

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
I haven't had any problems like this, however I only use mine for smashes so I can't say anything about using it for tilts. I also stick to A + Direction for my aerials, but I don't recall having issues with my smashes coming across as buggy or having bad momentum. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the c stick performs a nair if you push it in a diagonal direction.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
As the title says the C-Stick seems really buggy, terrible momentum when set to Smashes, when set to tilts occasionally nothing will happen at all. It also has a problem of doing neutral attacks instead of Smashes/Tilts like doing Nair when you you are trying to do Fair.
It does neutral A attacks if you input a diagonal direction. It does the side/up/down attacks if you put in precisely up/down/left/right. Takes some getting used to, and I'd prefer that it didn't, but that's how it works.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
When the C-stick is set to smash attacks, you must make sure not to hold it in but rather flick it when doing aerials. If you do a smash attack and keep holding the c-stick down, you'll see that you cannot move or really do anything. I believe this is a result of the developers making it so all you have to do it hold the C-stick to charge smash attacks. This carries over to when in the air, and any horizontal inputs will be cancelled when you hold the C-stick.

Possibly related: something weird that has been happening to me lately is when I do Fair with the C-stick it actually gives me a little bit of forward velocity when I am flicking it. When doing Bair, it gives me a little backwards velocity. This is even when my thumb is completely off the movement joystick. I don't understand why it does that... only happens some of the time.

Having your C-stick set to attacks will allow you to hold down. It also allows you to use your Nair (just as it allows you to jab when on ground) when inputting diagonally. This is actually great for some characters, allowing them to use Nair while retaining their horizontal velocity. However, this gives the risk of you accidentally using Nair instead of any of your other aerials. For Shulk, using an Nair off stage may kill you. It may be possible that the grooves on the gamecube controller's C-stick help to prevent the accidental Nair, but I am unsure.

Each option has their advantages and disadvantages on land and in air.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I also heard that you can't use the control stick and c-stick at the same time. I was playing a lot yesterday and would almost always mess up my aerials because instead of F-airing (as any Palutena main would know), she'd n-air.

I need to practice more on that.

Raijinken

Smash Master
The C-stick will offset momentum offered by the joystick, due to its function as a shortcut of A+Direction. In past games, didn't really matter, but in Smash4, you can now charge smashes with the C-stick, which means holding the stick holds the A+direction input.

Not sure why this doesn't make you move forward if you do it in midair, but you can see its momentum effects by using a bair while moving forwaird, or a fair while moving backward. It's solved by either setting it to tilts or learning to quickly flick the cstick.

So, it's not bugged, it just works in an unexpected way compared to past games.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
The C-stick will offset momentum offered by the joystick, due to its function as a shortcut of A+Direction. In past games, didn't really matter, but in Smash4, you can now charge smashes with the C-stick, which means holding the stick holds the A+direction input.

Not sure why this doesn't make you move forward if you do it in midair, but you can see its momentum effects by using a bair while moving forwaird, or a fair while moving backward. It's solved by either setting it to tilts or learning to quickly flick the cstick.

So, it's not bugged, it just works in an unexpected way compared to past games.
Just wrote a long post about this, but saw that you basically explained it. Good explanation too.

I'd say think of the C-stick as a macro rather than a button that does actions. It's the same problem I have with grabs in this game. The grab button just seems to be a macro for shield + attack. I speculate this because Link will drop his bomb AND shoot his grappling hook when attempting to bomb drop. Personally, I was pretty disappointed when I found that out on the 3DS demo.

Edit: You know what, I won't sugarcoat this. I was pretty damn pissed when I found out about the bomb drop.

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Unless you are willing to sacrifice the C-Sticks use of Smash attacks, you will have to switch it to attack in the control options. However, that would be giving up so many of the C-Stick when it's set to smash such as pivot smashes and perfect pivot smashes. The way around not getting any momentum when using aerial is flicking the C-Stick. When you do this, you still have your aerial momentum. I am using a Pro Controller when I do this.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Just wrote a long post about this, but saw that you basically explained it. Good explanation too.

I'd say think of the C-stick as a macro rather than a button that does actions. It's the same problem I have with grabs in this game. The grab button just seems to be a macro for shield + attack. I speculate this because Link will drop his bomb AND shoot his grappling hook when attempting to bomb drop. Personally, I was pretty disappointed when I found that out on the 3DS demo.

Edit: You know what, I won't sugarcoat this. I was pretty damn pissed when I found out about the bomb drop.
Grab has also always been a macro (for instance, keep holding it in any past game and it will shield after). It does seem to work in a different order now than before (or is otherwise changed, dunno).

But yea, it's a pain.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
The grab button just seems to be a macro for shield + attack. I speculate this because Link will drop his bomb AND shoot his grappling hook when attempting to bomb drop. Personally, I was pretty disappointed when I found that out on the 3DS demo.

Oddly enough, this is only exclusive to characters with tethers in smash4. Everyone else drops items just like in past installments. Certainly a developer oversight.

KEWB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KEWB99
3DS FC
4511-0666-0442
when set to tilts occasionally nothing will happen at all.
I've actually experienced this as well. I too would appreciate if someone could shed some light on why this particular issue happens.

Also gonna go ahead and agree with everyone else who feels having neutral A assigned to the diagonals was a bad idea.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
Yeah the problem occurred for me when I was using luigi, oddly enough not only was I getting nairs I was also getting jabs when I was trying to use a smash attack. I can't actually replicate it on purpose so I'm not really sure if it is the diagonals

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I don't know who the ****head who thought that charging attacks on the C-Stick was a good idea, but it's a horrible idea. I've been practicing jab into forward smash combos with Luigi but the C-Stick is trolling me. Makes me miss Brawl.

salaboB

Smash Champion
I don't know who the ****head who thought that charging attacks on the C-Stick was a good idea, but it's a horrible idea. I've been practicing jab into forward smash combos with Luigi but the C-Stick is trolling me. Makes me miss Brawl.
I don't miss Brawl because of it, but I also hate being able to charge smashes with the c-stick.

Kinda defeats the point.

I think I can also trigger fastfalling when using c-stick down in the air, and avoiding that was the whole reason I'd use c-stick in that situation in the first place.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I don't miss Brawl because of it, but I also hate being able to charge smashes with the c-stick.

Kinda defeats the point.

I think I can also trigger fastfalling when using c-stick down in the air, and avoiding that was the whole reason I'd use c-stick in that situation in the first place.
I think the gameplay in general isn't as good as Brawl. The dynamics, the sound effects, the controls. Everything else is just as good, if not better. I just wish controls were one of them.

Top Bottom