• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U What's worth hammering?

Vapo

Smash Apprentice
I'm currently working on getting all 140 challenges, but I'm not opposed to hammering mainly because of the worst event ever created (Hungry Hungry Kirby) challenge. I'm at 114/140 challenges with no hammers used. These are the ones I'm considering hammering:

Hungry Hungry Kirby Hard difficulty
Classic 9.0 no customs
Classic 9.0 Marth 12 minutes
All custom moves
1 min cruel smash Luigi
All reward conditions Solo Events
Recover the stat boosts a Metroid stole from you in Smash Tour

Bolded are the ones I'm almost definitely hammering due to the unfairness of the Hungry Hungry Kirby event. Most of the others I either know I can do eventually or are unhammerable. With 5 hammers and 26 challenges left, all of which will definitely take a ton of time, I'm unsure.

EDIT: Make that 115/140, just got KO your rival 4 times in Rival Smash after hours of trying. :D Bowsers works wonders.

EDIT2: 116/140 now, just got my final custom outfit during a failed attempt of clearing All-Star on Hard with Ike. o.o

EDIT3: 117/140, successfully did All-Star on Hard with Ike.

Last edited:

David Wonn

Smash Ace
If you have already gone this far without using a hammer, I'd recommend seeing how far you can go without using any. Since you stated you can do most of the rest eventually, save the hammers until you absolutely give up. I did not use any of my hammers in Brawl, and I decided to keep that tradition alive in Sm4sh.

The 140th challenge for me to defeat was All-Star on Hard with the entire cast. It took the better portion of January for me to clear, so if I weren't insistent on keeping all my hammers, that perhaps would have been the strongest candidate to consider hammering. But for now, stay on track and see how far you can go without using any hammers. You'll thank yourself later.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Save your hammers until there aren't very many hammerable challenges left. Also, there are certain challenges that you should "never" waste your Golden Hammers on, since you actually HAVE to do them to complete some of the challenges that are immune to Golden Hammers.

For an example, you HAVE to complete the "Kirby's Crazy Appetite" and "The FINAL Final Battle" events on hard difficulty, since they're also reward conditions that have to be made to complete the "Complete the reward conditions for all of the Solo Events." challenge, which is immune to Golden Hammers.

Similarly, as temping as it is to Golden Hammer the "Get 8 or more KOs in a single Cruel Smash." challenge, you actually HAVE to do this as Lucina, as "Play as Lucina and score 8 or more KOs in a single Solo Cruel Smash." is immune to Golden Hammers.

As for the challenges that you're pretty much fine on Golden Hammering, the following three would probably warrant using your Golden Hammers on.
  • Clear Classic at intensity 7.0 or higher with all the characters.
  • Clear Solo Classic in 12 minutes at intensity 9.0 while playing as Marth.
  • Clear All-Star on hard difficulty with all the characters.
Of course, wait until you've collected all of the random Mii headgear before Golden Hammering "Clear Classic at intensity 7.0 or higher with all the characters.", since the reward is the Regal Crown headgear, and you'll just be adding to the headgear duplicates if you get it before acquiring all the random headgear.

As for the "Collect all of the special moves." challenge, don't waste your Golden Hammers on grinding challenges, as they're not so much hard as they are time-consuming.

Vapo

Smash Apprentice
Wait, I can't hammer all events? D= I've spent at least 100 tries on Hungry Hungry Kirby Hard difficulty and failed all of them. The FINAL Final Battle was easy enough though, only took three tries with Custom Link (Vampire Brawn Badge + First Strike Invincibility + Defense). I've done the Lucina 8 Cruel Smash thingy (having trouble with Pit 4 but I've gotten close enough for me to know I'm capable of doing it). I would hammer Classic/All-Star all characters but I need to do those for the 700 trophies challenge. Despite him being one of my secondaries I'm definitely considering hammering the 9.0 one since I had trouble doing the 7.0 one. Once I get 300,000 gold I can do the 50,000 trophy rush blocks thing through Heavenly Light abuse. DHD All-Star and Classic 9.0 no lives lost will both take a ton of work but I have the time.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Hungry Hungry Kirby was absolutely the worst thing ever.

But using a Hammer of Shame is even worse. Persevere!

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I'm one of those players who would always rather see unfinished challenges on my grid than see empty Golden Hammer slots (I've restarted Brawl before because a cousin of mine used a GH by accident). The events that are absolutely horrible are usually the ones that are immune to GHs anyway. Judging by where you seem to currently be, I'd just hunker down and pick the remaining ones off to be honest.

Perhaps I'm just odd, but there's nothing quite like seeing a completed Challenge grid with all of the shiny Golden Hammers sitting beside it; I very much treat them like a collectable in the game.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Wait, I can't hammer all events? D= I've spent at least 100 tries on Hungry Hungry Kirby Hard difficulty and failed all of them. The FINAL Final Battle was easy enough though, only took three tries with Custom Link (Vampire Brawn Badge + First Strike Invincibility + Defense). I've done the Lucina 8 Cruel Smash thingy (having trouble with Pit 4 but I've gotten close enough for me to know I'm capable of doing it). I would hammer Classic/All-Star all characters but I need to do those for the 700 trophies challenge. Despite him being one of my secondaries I'm definitely considering hammering the 9.0 one since I had trouble doing the 7.0 one. Once I get 300,000 gold I can do the 50,000 trophy rush blocks thing through Heavenly Light abuse. DHD All-Star and Classic 9.0 no lives lost will both take a ton of work but I have the time.
9.0 without dying, use a heavily geared Ganondorf (defense, attack, lifesteal, speed unnecessary). And once you finish everything that uses gear, you can sell a lot (or all) of it for gold, easily breaking the gold challenge.

Albie83

Smash Apprentice
For Hungry Hungry Kirby, use the pause button. If you pause you can search around for food without wasting any time and find the clearest and easiest path. Other folks may tell you to copy Dedede and use his ability to pick up the food as you recover more. I just used the pause button trick and got it after 3 tries with like 1 second left.

I hammered the Level 9 no customs
Level 9 with Marth
All Star with everybody
Classic 7.0 with everybody
I don't remember the last one I hammered off hand

I only have 2 more left but I've pretty much given up on the level 9 no dying one. The prize isn't that good and it is really frustrating.

ralph458

Smash Cadet
NNID
larosawiiu
I'm tempted to hammer all-star every character on hard because I'm sure I did it, but I didn't get the Saki Amimaya trophy, and I don't know who I didn't do it with, and it shows high-scores not victories.

Last edited:

Vapo

Smash Apprentice
I'm tempted to hammer all-star every character on hard because I'm sure I did it, but I didn't get the Saki Amimaya trophy, and I don't know who I didn't do it with, and it shows high-scores not victories.
Just go through and redo the lowest scores until you get it. Anything under 2 million is generally a loss.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I got both Pit Cruel Smash 4 KOs and 300,000 gold last night and am now working on the 50,000 trophy rush challenge. I'm becoming more and more tempted to hammer All-Star all characters as time passes by seeing as I had major trouble doing it with Link of all people, who's a secondary of mine and is a sort of heavy. Classic is easy enough though due to Customs being enabled and damage not carrying over. 21 challenges left..

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Save your hammers until there aren't very many hammerable challenges left. Also, there are certain challenges that you should "never" waste your Golden Hammers on, since you actually HAVE to do them to complete some of the challenges that are immune to Golden Hammers.

For an example, you HAVE to complete the "Kirby's Crazy Appetite" and "The FINAL Final Battle" events on hard difficulty, since they're also reward conditions that have to be made to complete the "Complete the reward conditions for all of the Solo Events." challenge, which is immune to Golden Hammers.

Similarly, as temping as it is to Golden Hammer the "Get 8 or more KOs in a single Cruel Smash." challenge, you actually HAVE to do this as Lucina, as "Play as Lucina and score 8 or more KOs in a single Solo Cruel Smash." is immune to Golden Hammers.

As for the challenges that you're pretty much fine on Golden Hammering, the following three would probably warrant using your Golden Hammers on.
  • Clear Classic at intensity 7.0 or higher with all the characters.
  • Clear Solo Classic in 12 minutes at intensity 9.0 while playing as Marth.
  • Clear All-Star on hard difficulty with all the characters.
Of course, wait until you've collected all of the random Mii headgear before Golden Hammering "Clear Classic at intensity 7.0 or higher with all the characters.", since the reward is the Regal Crown headgear, and you'll just be adding to the headgear duplicates if you get it before acquiring all the random headgear.

As for the "Collect all of the special moves." challenge, don't waste your Golden Hammers on grinding challenges, as they're not so much hard as they are time-consuming.
I believe with hats, and any other collectable for that matter, the chance of getting a new one isn't a simple [how many you're missing]/55 (forgot the exact number) but instead a ratio determined by difficulty, game mode, and other things. Shouldn't matter if you have five hats available to be dropped or fifty... If you're not getting high enough scores, you're not getting a new hat.

This is also why I believe people get widely different results when it comes to incomplete hat collections. Because ever since I got my last hats on each version it's been a truly random 1/55 for any hat.

Top Bottom