• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What's with all the hype for 3.5?

megabbaut

Smash Apprentice
I honestly don't understand all the hype behind it. I mean sure there's all this new stuff, but IIRC, to play online you still have to deal with a hackless version, which is stupid having to constantly turn to Wii on and off until the stage builder hack thing actually works. That's the one turnoff for me, but that's just me.

What I'm trying to say is, what's the point of all this hype? It's like I'm missing something here.

ofna01

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1134-9609-8501
I honestly don't understand all the hype behind it. I mean sure there's all this new stuff, but IIRC, to play online you still have to deal with a hackless version, which is stupid having to constantly turn to Wii on and off until the stage builder hack thing actually works. That's the one turnoff for me, but that's just me.

What I'm trying to say is, what's the point of all this hype? It's like I'm missing something here.
I often just keep my wii on. One thing I've found that fixes it alot is going to the brawl menu and taking out and putting the SD back in.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
I USB load so I don't have to deal with the stage builder nonsense.

And we are hype because ITS MOTHER****ING PROJECT M 3.5. WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS **** FOR A YEAR.

megabbaut

Smash Apprentice
So going into Brawl, taking out and putting the SD back in, and loading up the stage Builder works every time? And I can't afford to keep my Wii on just to keep PM loaded, since I play other Wii games on it as well.

Also, how does USB loading work, exactly? Excuse me for ignorance.

Last edited:

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
Boot up works most of the time. I usually don't have issues. Sitting in the main menu for about 30 second or so before going to stage builder seems to help.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
If it takes you multiple attempts via Stage Builder to load PM, your SD card is probably on its last ropes or in need of a defragment/format. It usually never takes more than 2 attempts with a fresh SD Card.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
>to play online you have to deal with hackless

Uh, no, you don't. Get the facts straight.

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
Because it's kinda like getting a new game :p
A lot of improvements and changes from last time. And have you seen those remastered stages :O Hopefully HD Poke Floats is a thing too.

Taytertot

Smash Ace
I use an SD card and I dont have much issue with loading up PM. What I have noticed though is that sometimes when I go from the brawl menu directly to stage builder it can have issues so I usually use the music to determine how long to wait. The menu song in brawl has a beginning part that plays twice before moving on to a different section of the song. Once it gets to the second section is when I usually select the stage builder and since Ive started doing this I have not had a single issue with starting up PM. Whether or not this actually has an effect is difficult to say. my reasoning for doing it is because I assume that the issue is that the wii isnt being given a proper amount of time to "settle" into brawl and more importantly to read the information on the SD card in relationship to how it pertains to brawl.

Again I dont know that this actually fixes the problem but I do know that my SD card is quite new and the only times Ive had issues is when I got to the stage builder very quickly from the wii getting to the brawl menu. Maybe this approach will help maybe it wont. I am certainly not an expert on programing so i dont know where the issue actually stems from.

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Well you see, my child, when people see something that feels them with hope, joy and satisfaction, they begin to feel a glorious emotion called "excitement" when can eventually grow to a higher level due to their anticipation, thus creating what is called "hype".

Truly, a marvelous process, it is. ¦(

Real talk, though? You're seriously doing it wrong, buddy.

Foo

Smash Lord
So then how do you do it through a Homebrew version?
I can't say for sure what you're doing wrong, but it seems you are the only person having this issue that frequently. I boot up my PM around 5 times a week and it fails once every few weeks. I've noticed that if anyone is doing anything when you are booting up PM, it messes up. Because of this, I make sure no one else has their controller plugged in until I've made it past stage select, and I make sure I don't press any unneeded buttons.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Hackless is necessary for them to keep their status as "you don't need to hack" but it's so easy to get the homebrew channel and Gecko and just load it through there.

I'm honestly astonished people actually use the stage hacker thing every time.

And people really use the Wifi on their Wii? Why not just play dice with each other online? Outcome is just as random.

Last edited:

megabbaut

Smash Apprentice
I already have the Homebrew channel on my Wii.
I'm honestly astonished people actually use the stage hacker thing every time.

And people really use the Wifi on their Wii? Why not just play dice with each other online? Outcome is just as random.
You say that like there's a much easier way to boot it. Please enlighten me, sir.
And I didn't even understand that second line...

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I already have the Homebrew channel on my Wii.

You say that like there's a much easier way to boot it. Please enlighten me, sir.
And I didn't even understand that second line...
Get Gecko it's a homebrew app, enable cheats, load disc.

Done.

Brawl's netcode is so abysmal you may as well play dice because with both players hindered so much the outcome may as well be random. It was my way of showing surprise at the notion that people use Wifi on Brawl.

ofna01

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1134-9609-8501
Get Gecko it's a homebrew app, enable cheats, load disc.

Done.

Brawl's netcode is so abysmal you may as well play dice because with both players hindered so much the outcome may as well be random. It was my way of showing surprise at the notion that people use Wifi on Brawl.
As someone who plays wifi nearly constantly, it's not as random as you think. Once you adjust to the lag you can play basically as normal. I mean, it'll never be as good as local, but it's better than facing CPUs.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
As someone who plays wifi nearly constantly, it's not as random as you think. Once you adjust to the lag you can play basically as normal. I mean, it'll never be as good as local, but it's better than facing CPUs.
I'm exaggerating but it's really bad. KOF 13 on console is better than that garbage, I was on a wired connection and it sucked.

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
Subspace and Event Matches!

Sure Subspace is just going to be Brawl Subspace with Project: M physics, but the event matches are going to be different!

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Hated SSE originally (physics changes made everyone way too slow and it feels like a generic Kirby game), but you can piledrive your way through it in PM physics which makes it hella fun.

megabbaut

Smash Apprentice
What's Dolphin Netplay? I've heard about it a couple times but I'm not sure what it actually is.

Aside from Event Matches and SSE, when there's no online 3.5 sure gets boring after a while :/

igglybiblyjiblet

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5429-6814-5730
What's Dolphin Netplay? I've heard about it a couple times but I'm not sure what it actually is.

Aside from Event Matches and SSE, when there's no online 3.5 sure gets boring after a while :/
What? It's a Smash game, what you should be doing is going over to friends places and playing or going to tournaments. This isn't a game where you just play at home by yourself.
Dolphin is a Wii/GC emulator and you can play online with other people with a function called netplay.

megabbaut

Smash Apprentice
What? It's a Smash game, what you should be doing is going over to friends places and playing or going to tournaments. This isn't a game where you just play at home by yourself.
Dolphin is a Wii/GC emulator and you can play online with other people with a function called netplay.
I can, but most people in my area either don't like PM, or just suck at it. I was wondering if there was any way to put custom servers on a homebrew version of PM.

Fortress

Smash Master
Start a scene. Help the people who do like it by coming together to be a tournament scene in your area. That's what I did, and it's been smooth sailing since July. We've got our own streaming, a projector, commentary, a venue, and everything. You will all get better at the game along the way, and introduce more and more players to the game you all enjoy. Don't count people out just because they're not as good at the game. Most of our newer members here are very new to the game, and I couldn't be happier to be running a scene and training new players.

waygu

Smash Lord
ive found with doing 3.02 wifi version, if i turn my wii all the way off to the red button state, when i go to launch PM it'll go first time always. if i turn it off via wiimote or just soft input to yellow light it wont load first time, i have to turn it off to red and then it works.

Paquito

Smash Journeyman

"Sure there are a TON of new features and much needed balance changes, but this one thing that I'm annoyed with isn't fixed yet, and that surely invalidates everything else, right? RIGHT??"

Top Bottom